Everdrive on Mega Tech arcade motherboard

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by mar.vetto, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

Hello Everyone,

I have been so lucky to get one os this adapter (first pictureon this thread):

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32732&highlight=megatech

this allow megardive carts to run on Mega-Tech Sega arcade motherboard, you can find hardware specification here:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=706

I am an arcade collectors and I love this MEGADRIVE arcade version,
    basically it is same as the home verision but with the possibility to play 8 games all together.

I tested many original megadrive games on my megatech motherboard with the adapter I told you above and they are working fine.

So I thought to purchase an EVERDRIVE MD to test it with that board,
    I got it some weeks ago.

Well I trid to test but it seems to be not working.

The EVERDRIVE boot fine and I can move with any problem inside the menu but anytime I try to move any setting the motherboard stop to INIT MMC, so I am not able to load and see any game/rom.

I really would love someone who would be able to help me with this problem, I see that Everdrive is compatible with many system I am pretty sure it is compatible with megatech too, I just miss something.

Thanks

marco

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

probably !time or clock signals not present on cart slot. if clock not present, then it could be fixed by genny3 mode oprion, if !time not present, then no way to use everdrive on this board

3. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

hello,

I tried to se the genny3 option but it wan't save the option.
    Could you be so kind to let me know what pins are on magadrive the clock or time
    signal?
    maybe it is present but it is not connected, I am pretty sure everdrive can work on this board.

marco

4. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Isn't it a case of the Megadrive ROM needs porting to work with dual screens because of the extra BIOS or will a standard megadrive cart work in a Mega-Tech anyway?

Also welcome to the forums mar.vetto - I still have the NAOMI GD Drive I bought off you <3 Still it will be some time before I can get my Supergun though :(

5. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

HI,
    thanks for your purchase, in case you need any help I am here.
    Megadrive original carts work fine on megatech with this adapter, I didn't test all game, megadrive game list is really huge, but the original MD games i own work all fine with the adapter.

I really would like to be able to make the Everdrive works on the megatch....

I am studing the pinouts of both megadrive and megathech to understand where is the problem, If I will find it out i will share this with you all.

Amybe there is others megatech owner willing to run everdrive on their arcade cab...

Any help would be approciated a lot

marco

6. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

Just curious, but have you tested the Everdrive on a standard Mega Drive? and have you tried using other SD cards?

7. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

hello,

good suggestion, I am sorry I don't have any megadrive at home:crying:
    no I didn't use any other sd..i will try tonight and let you know....

marco

8. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

9. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

I did some test last night but it is still not working.
    Maybe this information would help to understand where is the problem. NBA JAM(original MD cart) boot fine but after the 3/4 screens with developer advertising it stop on a black screen.
    This game is not working with the adapter

i checked the three pins you told me, MD B31 is connected with at B30 Megatech and this to me is ok becuase If I connect it to B31 to B31 or not connected the Everdrive don't start at all.

MD B19 is not connected at all, i tried to connect it to Megatech B19 but this doesn't help.

MD B28 i am not sure at all, It is connected to Megatech B28 but i don't know if this is right.

I builded an adapter like this by my self too, I used a guide a guy gave me some time ago, the adapter I build works fine with the games i tested, like the original adapter, but this has more pins connected, the original adapter really use few pins.

I would like to shere with you the Megadrive and Megatech pinouts this guy gave to me and I used.

Some pins are ok and are working 100% some others I am not sure ant that guy was not sure too.

Maybe you are so in Magadrive stuff and you can find the wrong pins

marco

10. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

this it the megadrive pinouts he gave me and I used for my adapter:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  11. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

and this is the Megatech main chip game pinouts I used :

Attached Files:

12. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

here is the megatech pinouts:

Attached Files:

13. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

A1 to A32 pins are the same as Megadrive so they have been just connected directly.

The most important pins and the pins I am not sure are B16 B17 B18 B19 B27 B28 B29 B30 B31

The problem is on these pins...but where

marco

14. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

probably you do something wrong, because b30 on mtech is a for sms mode (if your doc file is right). try to pull mtech b30 to vcc by 10kohm resistor, and b31 connect to b31

15. Nipedley

Nipedley Member

Hey, I'm the guy who originally wrote those documents. They are correct to the best of my ability, though you've got me checking through some spare PCB's now to make sure as I also had this idea.

Unfortunately I blew my mega-tech motherboard during a hardcore sonic 2 session last month, and haven't had the chance to swap a spare in/repair it and so haven't tried out my everdrive in it yet.

Most of the signals were not changed. B28, B29 and B31 (which seem to be the important ones here) should match up but the adapter you received (I also have one) does not have these connected. It's also worth noting that pin B10 And B11 (Address 21 and 22) are also not connected on that adapter.

I never managed to find out what B31 actually does, KRIKzz any chance you could enlighten us there?

When I get the chance to get my mega-tech working again I'll give this a go, if you make any progress also let us know how it goes :)

16. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i used b31 for access to internal registers of cart, which is not placed in cartridge address space. aslo some games used b31 for switch between save ram and game rom. SSF2 used b31 for bancks switch

17. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

Hello,

nice to meet you....finally i know you...very good work with the adapter, I build one with the infos you wrote and works fine with many games...
    This is the one I am modifing to let the everdrive works, of course i know the original adapter shown on above picture has meny pins not connected, I use it with the games I know are working fine

But I want to let the everdrive works so i am tring sometest, of course in case I will have good news I will tell you, I hope you will do the same.ù

The adapter i am working on is like yours, made with sega magatech soccer original cart as donor and mega drive sonic and knuckles cart socket on top, your guide was really well made....I had just 1/2 indecision...maybe you can meke it clear for me now...

Pin B27 on megatech you call CE but I don't find any CE on mega drive pinout

Pin B17 on MD you call CS this is not clear too

I am very happy to find you out i tried to speak with you on Arcadecontrol forum but this was not possible....:pray:

marco

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  18. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

the first problem to solve is let the everdrive to save setting.....so we need to work on these pins

19. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

B28 probably the only possible reason

20. mar.vetto

mar.vetto Rising Member

now MT B28 is connected to MD B28.....any possible suggest where the right possition it should be?