[Everdrive-MD] How to convert video-files for videoplayer.bin

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by qwertzz, Jun 10, 2011.

1. qwertzz

qwertzz Member

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

From the source we see

The video is 28 tiles wide, by 21 tiles tall. A tile is 32 bytes, being 8x8 pixels, each a nibble wide (16 colors). u32 is 4 bytes, and the * 8 inside the array gives 4 * 8 = 32 bytes; so img_buff is the tile data for the video frame.

Looking further, we find the frames loaded as such

where addr is the sector buffer set just prior to this function. A full block (512 bytes) is read into pal_buf, which is 256 words so it all fits. The routine then goes on to read the data into the tile buffer, img_buf. Here's a slight bug in the player - it reads the image data a sector at a time (512 bytes); the problem is the tile buffer is 28*21*32 bytes, which divided by 512 is 36.75 sectors. So the last sector will overrun the tile buffer. Hope there's nothing after the tile buffer that's important! :D

So the file format is just a raw dump of palette data followed by frame data, where you have 256 words of palette values followed by 36.75 sectors of tile data. Note that although it reads 37 sectors, the file pointer is advanced only 36.75. Look at this

See? The file has the palette and then the frame exactly the size the arrays are defined for, not the amount read. Hope that makes sense.

The data is then DMA'd to the vram and the screen scrolled to show the new data.

The code then loops until the file runs out of data or you press B.

So, to make your own video, you need to convert each frame into a 224x168 resolution 16 color image. You then need to save the palette (16 words of 9 bit BGR values padded to 256 words), then the raw frame data with 4 bit pixels, but in TILE format!

Six pack by mic can give you the palette and 16 color image data for each frame. Then you have to concatenate all the data. Easy, no? Hopefully KRIKzz has something that automates that procedure a little. ;)

3. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i have tool which can concatenate all frames and palettes in single dfatafile, also i have tool which can convert 16 color images in sega format, but still need alot of hand work

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Someone please do the Rickroll! Been done for SNES, time for an MD port I think.

Rename it as Sonic 1 Alpha and ship it over to Sonic Retro.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  5. Chilly Willy

What you need is a shell script that dumps the frames to individual pictures, then uses something like imagemagick to resize the frame, then runs sixpack on each frame to get a bin of the palette and frame, then pad the palette, then concatenate the palette and frame for each. I might try my hand at that this next week. It would be a bash script targeting linux, not Windows, although it might work in CygWin.

6. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i used virualdub for take frames and xat for resize and color optimisation. it was so slow :)

7. Chilly Willy

You can dump a clip to jpeg or png using "mplayer -vo jpeg -nosound clip.avi" or "mplayer -vo png -nosound clip.avi". Mplayer can handle just about any input format (just used avi as an example), and you'll get a nice set of images out like

00000001.png
    00000002.png
    etc.

Mplayer also has a lot of options you can apply to the video, like resizing and such. Then it's a matter of using sixpack on the frames to get the raw data needed.