Everdrive for original DS?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by VinylandGaming, Aug 14, 2017.

1. VinylandGaming

VinylandGaming Member

Just as the title says, I am curious if Krikzz has expressed interest in working on a Everdrive for the original fat DS.

2. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

May I ask, since you're being so very specific: What do you think would be the difference to one for the later models?

3. Digmac

Digmac Removed for Not Reuploading Juiced Fast Enough

Any of the myriads of R4 cards and SuperCard DS cards don't work well enough for you? I hope he doesn't come out with one because we have tons of cards that already get the job done more than good enough. Plus if he did come out with a DS card it would probably carry the Krikzz price premium, and you won't catch me spending $75+ on a DS "Everdrive".

4. VinylandGaming

VinylandGaming Member

The reason for the specific request is because Nintendo keeps updating the firmware of their newer DS systems, and I would like to have a setup where I can have a DS flashcart and my GBA Everdrive in the same system, without running into compatibility issues.

5. rso

I'd be hard pressed to tell when my DS Lite last got an update (ed: and the DSi was last updated four. years. ago). Or the last time I ran into an issue with the (I believe) R4i Gold I have in there.

Overall, I'm (mostly) with Digmac on this, in that there's no real need for yet another card if all you're gonna use it in is a DS/DSL. Otoh alternatives are always welcome, if Igor wants to release an EDDS, why not? Noone's being forced into buying.

6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

The DS did not have user-upgradable firmware. Whichever revision Nintendo included, you're stuck with.
    Chinese and Korean systems made minor changes to add appropriate languages.

7. VinylandGaming

VinylandGaming Member

8. rso

Correct for DS and DSL, though strictly speaking you could replace the FW, e.g. with FlashMe, by manually bridging some contacts - not something you want just any end user to try. The DSi used to get the occasional official update, but those days are long gone now. Overall I'd say FW updates on the entire DS (not 3DS!) line are a nonissue these days, no need to restrict oneself to the "phat lady".

(also: Korea got their own firmware? Could've sworn that language was already available in the normal FW... TIL.)

9. Wooba

Wooba Newly Registered

Anything Krikzz puts out is usually better than what's already available, but there's tons of DS flashcarts already. Sure, most of the clones aren't amazing and a bunch of them are even timebombed(I have 3 and 2 of them have already expired) but if you spend 15€ instead of 10€ you get a nice quality DS flashcart. The old carts are really not worth it,but if you're willing to spend some money you can get yourself a DSTWO which I believe is the best ds cart available. Any cart you buy now will work on everything forever, DS and DSLite aren't updatable, the DSi is no longer supported and there hasn't been a 3ds update that limits flashcart usage in years, so there really isn't a point in making a new flashcart.

10. darkspire17

darkspire17 None

no need for an "everdrive ds", just grab an R4, i found one at a thrift store for 5$