Everdrive Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by causticsoda, Aug 21, 2010.

1. causticsoda

causticsoda Member

Not sure if any of this is possible, but I thought I would start a wish list :)

- Ability to place screenshot image of game on sd card which would be associated with a rom of the same name, ability to press a certain button when rom is selected to view screenshot.

- Ability to place a text format manual for a game on sd card which would be associated with a rom of the same name, ability to press a certain button when a rom is selected to read text document on screen.

- Ability to have a metadata file for roms which would include information such as Year of Release, Developer, Publisher, etc. Ability to view this information when listing rom files, ability to sort by this metadata.

2. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

1) possible
    2) possible
    3) sega rom header has only publish date and game name. metadata reading will be very slow
    i will think about your idea implementation.

3. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I wouldn't mind seeing images of each game, likely from the covers of the original cases.

4. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

That would require the everdrive holding the cover of every MD game ever. and being able to run it against the title and find it in its cover database.

5. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

hmm... it is really good idea. currently i little busy by my snes project, but i will implement it when i will have a time.

6. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

To my knowledge, no website has even come close to a comprehensive screenshot library from emulation, much less box scans. That is something I hope to eventually accomplish to a greater degree than other websites that focus on popular stuff only.

7. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

cowers is really hard to find, but i know website where present screenshots for most of genny games. i think that gameplay screenshots will be beter then covers

8. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Well it should be up to the user what picture they use, right?

9. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

right

10. causticsoda

causticsoda Member

is there any chance of FAT32 support in the future? Once adding in screenshots 2GB becomes much smaller space.

11. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

screenshot 320x244 it is just 36kb of memory (in genesis graphics format), so it 36mbyte for all games.
    i think that fat32 will come on sega everdrive only after then i implement fat32 for some other project, where fat32 is really need. in this case i just make port for sega if it will be possible. currently fat32 is unknow technology for me and i don't want to spend my time on it without weighty reason

12. causticsoda

causticsoda Member

Thanks Krikzz! I think we all prefer you spend your time getting the SNES Everdrive to market :D

Would having multiple 2GB FAT16 Partitions on one SD card be easier to impliment? eg. we can get a 4GB card and split it into 2 FAT16 2GB partition?

13. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i think that multiple partition implementation will be more easier

14. kingbuzzo

kingbuzzo Member

15. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

YM2413 may be, but not in near future

16. WaverBoy

WaverBoy Active Member

I'm not sure these are possible, but here's my dream wish list:

Full Sega CD bios and ROM compatibility with U.S. Model 1 or 2 Genesis & Model 1 or 2 Sega CD hardware configuration.

Also, auto region-lock disabling so region-locked Japanese ROMs will work on American machines and vice versa, without having to mod your console or manually patch the ROMs.

And that would make it pretty much perfect!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  17. johnyept

johnyept Newly Registered

I know I'm digging up a 9 yo topic, but my reply is directly related to the 3 suggestions from causticsoda, and some of the replies that followed.

Nowadays it's much easier to get covers for ROMs with ScraperUI: it can download 2D/3D covers, start/gameplay screenshots, cartridge photos, among many others. My favorite is the 4in1 Mix which combines in 1 single image a gameplay screenshot in the background, a 3D cover + game cartridge on the bottom left and the game title on the bottom right. That, combined with the gamelist.xml it creates with all the games metadata, should cover everything needed by the everdrive firmware/software.

Here's what everdrive could do:
    - when entering a folder, read rom file names + check if gamelist.xml exists
    - menu option to switch between normal file display and: "full game names" list on the left of the screen extracted from the XML instead of rom file names, image on the top right of the screen with same name as rom file name from a predetermined folder (\artwork?), and metadata (year, developer, game type, description, etc) on the bottom left of the screen.

That should turn it into an interesting and simple GUI :)

EDIT: as a bonus, if it works out ok and not that slow, maybe it could also be implemented in other consoles' everdrives too ;)