Everdrive cartridge cases, labels, inserts - Any market?

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by Trenton_net, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Hey Everyone,

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but does anyone think there is a market for Everdrive cartridge cases, labels, and inserts? That is, if I negotiated for them from China? Example:

Genesis style
    [​IMG]

Megadrive style:
    [​IMG]

Super Famicom style
    [​IMG]

Just a thought. (^_^);

2. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

I think there is a market for cases in different colors and see through, not just for Everdrives.

Twimfy likes this.
  3. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Seconded. If you could source near on replica MD carts in a variety of colours including the original you could probably at least break even.

4. Trenton_net

Hrm... Well the reason why regular color cases and styles would be easy is because the piracy industry in China has already done all the work for it. All you need is a cut out for the SD card.

5. neozeed

neozeed Spirited Member

I bought one of those that you have pictured, just waiting for it to arrive.

6. Trenton_net

Ya, I was going to see if they were professional manufactured or not, and if so, negotiate just for the parts. But if it's not professionally done, there's no point. The reason for asking is because many people use mock-ups and you never know what your going to get unless you ask to verify (^_^);

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Based on when we attempted to just sell labels and stuff on our site there isn't much of a market, this is why we don't even bother selling labels and inserts by themselves anymore.

Yes you'll get a lot of people on this forum saying they want it, but this isn't a majority. About 80% of our sales are for complete products, not for boards. The average consumer does not want a product they have to make themselves. They want something out of the box. This is what we already offer. (LINK: Example)

Also the products you listed are not suppose to be sold outside of China. So if they are being sold outside of China then Igor should know about it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

I imagine there is probably a pretty good market for them here on these forums.

Also as far as the Chinese Everdrive's go I imagine the only way to get them over here is through a Chinese Proxy service. It took me a little bit to figure out where I would even order chinese everdrives from though.

@stoneagegamer For me the reason I've never ended up buying anything from you is because I don't like the stoneagegamer logo on everything. Also I'm a do it your self kind of guy. But I do have to say that you provide a valuable service for many and great insight into this stuff when ever questions of sales or production comes up and I check your site often.

^^^ lol random thoughts above it's early in the morning

9. StoneAgeGamer

Well I put my logo on them because I did do the packaging and do spend a lot of my own time and money promoting the items. These aren't produced in a sweat shop somewhere. Everything (packaging-wise) is done by hand and designed by me.

I have created manuals for the EverDrive that are freely distributed on his site and I also am working on getting them translated into other languages. Spanish is already done, but I don't think he posted yet.

However, I do not take any credit away from Igor for his creation like some other companies who repackage them do. His KRIKzz logo and web site are put on all packaging as well as his name is part of the Copyright. Nor have I stolen anything from Igor ::cough:: ::cough:: China.

There's good reason those Chinese EverDrives are not suppose to leave China and for anyone who tries to get them out of China I would consult Igor before doing so.

Everything I do is with the approval of Igor. If there is something he doesn't like I don't do it.

I have no problem with boards being sold, I think it gives the EverDrive an advantage over other flash carts.

That being said, and this is obviously meant as no offense to anyone on these forums, but you guys are the minority. Most people are not do-it-yourselfers. Most people want a product that is ready out of the box. I completely understand the appeal of doing it yourself though.

My opinion is that there is not a huge market for selling this kind of stuff as separate parts. This is a limited niche market item. You must be careful before dumping a lot of upfront money into something like this.

10. Trenton_net

Well, it's certainly the easiest to use a proxy, but you'll be raked for commission fees, never get the best prices (they rarely fight for your purchasing dollar) as well as have questionable quality control and shipping prices.

Some examples: If you ordered a "sealed" game, and they got an open one, they'll just ship it off to you and do jack about it. Same goes for damaged goods, they'll usually not care about it.

Another example: If they saved on shipping, got freebies, or extra discounts, they usually won't pass it on to you. I've caught Chinese proxies cheating people numerous times. They never come clean until you show them the sellers invoice stating they sold/shipped to the proxy representative at a stated price.

11. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

@stoneagegamer I understand why you do it and am glad your there doing it to provide support for those who don't want too, just that it doesn't appeal to me that's all.

@trenton_net What proxy do you use to order stuff? I'm thinking it would be cool to order a famiclone and some knock off rockman games. I've used plenty of proxies to get stuff from japan, but have no idea what proxy to use to get stuff out of china.

12. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I picked up one when I ordered a Dreamcast SD adapter and some weird pirate carts from taobao. The cart they've used is too fat - it barely fits in a legit Megadrive, it requires quite a shove. The box is also smaller than a standard Megadrive box and it's crappy quality. It didn't have a pause button so I had to add one myself. Basically everything you'd expect from a Chinese knock-off product.

I wasn't aware they were China-only. Good luck enforcing that btw.

13. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

I'm happy with my everdrive from KRIKzz since I know he put alot of time and effort developing his product, sad to see chinese clones

14. erkan

erkan Spirited Member

The carts in pic 1 are Chinese pirate versions of Everdrives?

15. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

They aren't clones or pirates.

16. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep. Site Supporter 2012, 2014

It would be nice to get a source of cartridge cases that weren't from donors (a bit like AtariAge and their 2600 carts). However, I would only be interested if I was a reseller of Everdrives as I dislike chucking game PCBs even if they are trash like old FIFAs - if I was buying one, I would buy it complete rather than getting board-only, a new cart shell and a label separately.

My tuppence.

17. StoneAgeGamer

Do you actually know the story about those carts? I am not sure how much Igor would like me to say. But you are not 100% correct with this statement.

18. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Some quotes from Krikzz him self from Sega-16 Forum thread

Of course Stoneagegamer probably knows a little more. I can't help but wonder if Krikzz ended up getting anything out of this though.

19. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

i just can say that it is same carts as mine, but they based on pretty old design, so here is no megakey, no sms pause, no dsp1. also this carts not supported by me, so if something wrong with chinese cart i dont care, send it back to cninese seller if possible.
    carts quality should be good, i have one sample and i liked how is it looks.
    this carts ONLY for chinese market. they are cheap, but also they limited compared with my current versions. i think that it is good deal for chinese costumers, but no sense for other customers

20. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Wow, those chinese Everdrives look really professional =D
    Way better than those black ones you see from time to time.