European consoles in the US

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by sonicsean89, Jul 22, 2013.

1. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Ok, so I just bought a UK PS2 off eBay, it'll ship sometime and show up in the next year or so (I know first hand that shipping from the US to the UK is expensive and slow). I want to get European games and needed a Region 2 DVD player, so I figured to knock them both out.

I have a couple of questions while I wait, for anyone that knows.

1) I know I'll need a new power cable, but will a regular US PS2 power supply work for it? (It's a fat one, so would I need to go in and switch the supply too, or can the system handle US power?)
    2) My TV will play PAL games, so I don't think I have a problem there.
    3) Any good UK/Europe exclusive PS1 and PS2 games?

2. beepboop

beepboop <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

-

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

You will need either a step up transformer or to swap the PAL power board for a US version of the same model.

4. beepboop

beepboop <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

After reading some more, this is indeed true. My apologies.

5. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

6. blotter12

blotter12 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

When you say your TV will play PAL games, do you mean you have other PAL consoles hooked up to it or that you've played PAL region games on a region free/modded system? Make sure you know what outputs the system is going to have and which inputs are in your TV.

For exclusive games, you can look up the list of PS2 & PS1 games on wikipedia. You can arrange them by region. These lists don't have region data for 100% of the games, but it is close enough. I can't think of any good ones off the top of my head... It's too bad Polaroid Pete was never released (although that wouldn't be technically exclusive since it was released in Japan, but it's good to play a game in a language you understand)...

7. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I've heard most new LCD TVs are actually multi system, but I haven't tested it with something, no, other than PAL games on a regionfree system.

8. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Most LCDs and plasmas are indeed multisystem (tho if you're going to run into issues it'll be with SECAM sources).

Newer games systems are also going multi-voltage. For example, if you buy a new PS3 in the store today it'll work worldwide. You don't need a stepdown.

9. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

I remember running a pal wii game on my plasma,it was black and white on composite but full color using component but the tv is quite old.

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If your TV doesn't accept the signal, you could always get a Sony PVM or similar device. They generally accept video signals from anywhere in the world.

11. Cyberghost

Cyberghost Peppy Member

If the PS2 is a slim you could just use the powerbrick from where ever you are, all slims with external power supplies require 8.5 volts input. If its a fat PS2 you will need to supply the correct voltage, my aqua SCPH-50002 requires 220v so I've yet to even power it up. Ergot_cholera mentions swapping out the internal power supply, just make sure its the same model. As has been said for the video, component should be ok regardless of PAL or NTSC, in case you wanted to take it to a tv that only takes ntsc through composite. RGB should work too.

The pink ps2 in my avatar picture is PAL but works great with an American power brick, and I use it on component on my ntsc tv.

12. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

He said in first post that it's a fat model...

13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Chip it. It'll save some frustration.

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to play PAL PS2 games? There aren't many exclusives to my knowledge, and those that have been released in Japan and the US will run at a lower speed, and thus will be inferior to those other versions.

15. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

Probably wants to play Gregory Horror Show in English.

16. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

my pal ps2 is collecting dust, the only ones i use isfrom time to time my US but mostly my TEST ps2. dont know any good pal exclusiv games :x.

17. MrKijo

MrKijo Rising Member

Psyvariar Complete Edition was PAL/JP only.. no US release. Cant think of anything else, but probably a lot of sports titles.

18. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

There's a few sports games, and I want to see if Altered Beast is as bad as they say.

And I've wanted a Region 2 DVD player, and the cheapest multiregion ones I could find were upwards of $70

19. MrKijo

MrKijo Rising Member

Just remembered... maybe the ISS games? I know a lot of them never made it to the US. They were popular in Japan though.

20. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

On an HDTV sure. I've never heard of a CRT with NTSC TV tuner that accepts 50hz, only non-tuner monitors.