Enhancement: Backup DUO save memory to SD card?

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by Trenton_net, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Hey Everyone,

I doubt that this is an available feature, but would it be possible to have the ability (Via SDK or directly to the firmware) to be able to read DUO/DUO-R/DUO-RX internal backup memory and write it to the SD card? As some people may know already, most memory backup solutions tend to rely on batteries or some kind of memory that will die eventually. It would be really neat if the save data could be written to an SD card instead for saving.

Currently the only method I know for backing things up is to run homebrew that will print out your save in HEX to screen, so that you can use OCR (or manual entery) to get it back into a TXT file, and then write that file back to Save memory (using the same homebrew). It would be way easier if writing to the SD card was possible.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It sure is possible. Just hasn't been done yet.

3. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

It might not be possible if it can't deassert the card detect signal.

4. MottZilla

I'm not sure what you mean. HuCard based games can save to internal RAM as well. Why would they not have access to it to be able to do this? I don't know many specifics about the PCE hardware. I'm curious as to why it might not be possible.

5. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

The DUO's address decoding of course changes based on whether a card is inserted, but if the memory is there regardless I guess that's not a concern; I didn't realize that the CD backup memory was directly compatible with Ten no Koe memory.

6. MottZilla

Well I know this much, the DUO's built in RAM saves both my card games (ex: Neutopia) and my CD games (ex: Castlevania). So I assume that any running software could access the backup ram, and then potentially save it to SD card. There was supposed to be a program that outputs hex byte display and presumably lets you input the hex values for each byte to restore a backup. I never looked for it myself.

7. tomaitheous

tomaitheous Spirited Member

Yeah, the upper 1megabyte area that has CD hardware mapped into certain open bus areas, is directly accessible via hucard. The only thing that gets disabled when a hucard is inserted (and there's a special detect pin for this, hence the Arcade Card Duo actually doesn't disable the internal stuff in the lower 1MB range of the Duo and SuperCDROM^2 units), is the Super CDRAM of 192k and the built in system cards. The 64k of base CD ram is there as well as the rest of the stuff. Any hucard can use it. The Booster/Booster Plus units that have BRAM, have it mapped in the exact same area in the upper 1megabyte address range as all CD systems do. Hucards don't know any different.

One could run the TOS.pce rom for the Turbo Everdrive card in an emulator and see what memory registers it's writing/reading. I did this with the tototek boot rom, but I never made anything with it. It's possible that you can only read from the SD card, through the PCE side. Dunno. But that would be a huge deal if you could save bram to the SD card. The only other way to save it, is to either 1) dump it through the stereo channels and record it with a PC. 2) dump it via a special graphic encoded screen and use a capture card. 3) Use the tonoke bank card to back it up too, and then some how read it from that (custom hardware). 4) Write it down manually with Chris Covells bram viewer... all 2048 bytes ;>_> (or take a picture).