Emulation in 4K

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by MBMM, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Not sure if Off-Topic is the right spot for this but has anybody given 4K emulation a shot? PS2 games look absolutely stunning. SSX Tricky takes on a whole new face haha.

PS I do indeed own a copy of SSX Tricky for the PS2 and personally own 2 PS2s. Just in case anybody thinks I'm shivering my own timbers.

2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

The extra resolution is the only thing I miss from emulating.. I'm so out of the loop now.
    Also need to hop on the 4K TV bandwagon I suppose...

3. MBMM

I picked up my 4K TV for only $400. The difference is night and day. Unfortunately not every game is perfect but the ones that work do so beautifully.

4. speedyink

Is there any lag when gaming or using as a computer monitor?

5. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

i'm sure theres plenty of lag if you're using a cheapo 4k tv. 4k monitors though don't have nearly as much input lag. Personally I would just get a 1440p monitor and call it a day.

6. speedyink

I need size. Ideally a 55"

7. MBMM

8. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Not 4K, but I have a 1440p computer monitor (27") and I play emulators occasionally (not very often). I prefer to play games on real hardware, so I only use emulators for games I can't easily play on real hardware - or for research. I sometimes use Model 3 and Model 2 emulators (I have a Model 3). Model 3 games like Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 look pretty good at 1440p. I can also run Supermodel (Model 3 emulator) on my MacBook Pro, which has a 1600p display. Not an emulator, but lately I've been playing GZDoom a little, and that also looks pretty good at 1440p.

Newer games really benefit the most from the higher resolution, I think. I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider lately, and that game looks really good at 1440p. It runs pretty well on my current system.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  9. speedyink

Well I was in the market, but I put that idea on hold until I could do some research. I have a living room computer for various media stuffs, so when using the mouse I can't have that "trailing mouse" syndrome. I read some TV's require game mode on or something, which can adversely affect the quality of the picture in order to make it run faster. I dunno, all my TV's so far never required a game mode to not have lag. Except for one, which I didn't buy, and I fracking hate its guts.