ECCO the Dolphin E3 auto-run build (early code) [Bananabreak]

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by bananabreak, May 28, 2015.

1. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Oh wow. I can't wait to see what comes from that. I'll have my fingers crossed.

2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Thanks for the GDI! Going to fire this one up on my GDEMU :)
    Has someone already tinkered with the leftover data?

3. Blai

Blai Enthusiastic Member

Thanks for this new release, bananabreak is bananas!

4. Klaimen

Klaimen Newly Registered

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    sa1, SILENT_Pavel, wombat and 2 others like this.
  5. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Great in dept article you wrote there! Always nice to see an analysis of beta's vs it's retail counter part. Also thanks for sharing the April-2000 beta, 2015 is starting to look very interesting for us Dreamcast enthousiasts :D

6. Klaimen

Klaimen Newly Registered

Thank you! I was surprised that noone on this forum has found the April 2000 prototype yet on Caverns of Hope... ^^ I should really also analyse that version sometime, but it's a lot more data to check, since it's basically the whole game in a way more finished state.

On another note, my friend Korama, who also ripped the April 2000 prototype for me, took a closer look at the E3 demo and couldn't find any leftover data. Based on our knowledge about Ecco's file structure it's safe to say that this image only contains the 5 demo levels which cannot be played at all. Unless there is a hidden cheat code that overrides the demo recording, or a way to edit the data to turn them into a playable mode, we'll have to live with the demo mode. But at least it shows off big portions of the levels :)

SILENT_Pavel likes this.
  7. wombat

wombat SEGA!

8. Klaimen

Klaimen Newly Registered

Good thinking! It might be possible to make those autoplay levels playable by swapping files around, or editing them, or planting them in a different build of Ecco DotF. I've asked Korama already, he's considering it, but for now he has been digging through that big unknown space called "track 3" ;)

So Korama examined the 809MB-sized track 3. The dummy.dat file is filled with zeros. The remainder however is filled with data, but unfortunately the file system information is not present. So he went through all the data, looking for file headers of file types he knew from other Ecco DotF releases.
    By that he has found plenty hidden game files, some of which could be completely recreated, others being fragmented and ending abruptly. A lot of these files are duplicates from track 10, some of them are originals/new ones, and some are more duplicates of those. All in all we made out 17 files that are unique and not present in track 10.

We examined these unique hidden game files with a special viewer Korama has programmed, which reveals the textures of the game. It turns out that also these seemingly unique files are also very similar to the game files that are used for the E3 presentation. We saw files with textures from Atlantis, the coral reef, and the mechanical timeline, as well as files with variations of the logos.

Korama will continue looking for other files, he has examined about half of the data. There should be other files responsible for the autoplay functions. And there could also possibly be sound files or music files.

I'll keep you up to date. :)

9. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Great! Looking forward to reading more about this :)

10. Blai

Blai Enthusiastic Member

Open a new thread about this yeah, so more people will be able to see it and tamper with it

11. MBMM

That's exactly what I was wondering about earlier. I think this is quite possible.
    Same here. This is getting more and more exciting.

12. Blai

Blai Enthusiastic Member

Can anyone upload the CDI & GDI again please?

13. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Yes please missed alot of these I am afra

14. wombat

wombat SEGA!

@Klaimen did Korama finish his research on the dummy files :)? Really curious to the final results.

15. MBMM

@SILENT_Pavel uploaded one that somebody was missing before. Not sure if he has all of them or the ability to re-up the others.

RaZiel likes this.
  16. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

RaZiel likes this.
  17. RaZiel

The second one is that the image from the one linked above on the other forum? Either way thanks for all your help!!

18. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

RaZiel likes this.
  19. RaZiel

OK have that one but thanks

20. Followr

Followr Member

Could anyone re-upload the Self-boot CDI version by any chance?