Early version Sega Saturn HSS-0101 controller

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by SaturnHST, Mar 28, 2013.

1. SaturnHST

SaturnHST Spirited Member

Don't know if anyone cares but here's an interesting find. I got a Sega Saturn controller that feels different (crappier) from 99% of my other Saturn controllers. I opened it up and it is an earlier version and the internals are different. The dpad is noticeably stiffer and doesn't move if you press the center in. The face buttons feel different. The shoulder buttons have a harder click to them; other Saturn controllers have a soft computer mouse-like click. The cable is noticeably shorter (2.5' shorter than other Saturn controllers).

Early model on left, late model on right.
    [​IMG]

Early model has a black plastic piece under the dpad. Late model has a white nylon piece. Slightly different shoulder buttons. Casing is also slightly different and has no markings. The conductive pad under the dpad is different and has 2 mounting holes, but there is only one mounting pole on the case.
    [​IMG]

Early model has no SEGA marking on board. Also has individual conductive pads for the face buttons that don't feel as good.
    [​IMG]

Back side of boards. Interestingly the early model has a marking for "TURBO".
    [​IMG]

Slightly different font and spacing on the outside.
    [​IMG]

This is where I read up about it:
    http://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_(Saturn)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. urbangangsta101

urbangangsta101 Spirited Member

Sega have always changed their designs for controllers. I have 4 Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) pads that are all totally different inside and have different D-Pad designs...

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Looks more like a fake to me. There's no Sega mark on the PCB plus it looks cheaply put together. I have a day one Saturn with original controllers and they look nothing like the one you have. The funny thing is that I also have a "Turbo" controller that looks official but feels like cheap crap. I'll have to open that up to see if it looks like the controller you think is an early one.

4. SaturnHST

The connector plug does say SEGA and looks just like the other one.

5. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. SaturnHST

It seems kind of strange they would take the time to redesign all the internals. You would think they would just clone it 100% and not spend any money on r&d.

7. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

Sorry but which one is the one that "doesn't move" when you press the center?

I'm pretty sure that only with fake controllers you can press the center, and when you do that, the Saturn pause. So, allowing the four directions to be pressed at the same time is "unplayable". At least to me.

8. SaturnHST

The official ones also move slightly when you press directly down the center.

9. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I'm in a second mind to if this pad is a fake. It may actually be a really early controller such as a proto.

10. smf

smf mamedev

The multiplexer on the sega pads are custom surface mount. The other controller has a dip through hole chip, which may even be off the shelf. It would be cheaper to redesign it as it will be easier to source the chip and you can hand solder them.

The turbo text on the pcb is what makes me think it is unlikely to have been made by sega.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  11. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Reeks of fake.

12. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Yakumo, maybe you can memorize the difference in plastic (outside, looks like a different texture?) shown here and keep your eye out for one next time you're near a Hard-Off or something?

It does reek a bit to me, too, but I find it odd that a pirate company with access to the original controller that could easily make an exact copy of it would choose to instead use the exact same design but change the innards (see - circular support for d-Pad on the right controller, four poles on the left).

Is the left's IC blank, even sanded-off?
    Seems like they would stamp SEGA -somewhere- on the board no matter what...

13. smf

smf mamedev

Taking a perfect mold from the controller would be extremely hard. Even if they started with it, they'd have had to do a lot of tidying up.

14. retro

The board is clumsily designed and nothing like any prototype boards I've ever seen from Sega.

15. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

I will admit I know very little of the process, but I can imagine this being very correct when I think about it.

16. retro

The 'prototype' controller looked like a 6 button Mega Drive controller and was sold to developers with the Sophia unit. It had a fully screened Sega board, with model number IIRC. Why would Sega go on to make something so crappy looking?

17. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

Seems bootleg for me: no serial number everywhere where SEGA referenced mostly every parts they made.
    And for the serial on the back of the controller, SEGA will never use a different font. And is there really a font with 0 that looks like O ? Seems O for me and so a typo from pirate, made intentionally or not.

18. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

i second it....its a fake....

19. SaturnHST

If it's really fake it's a damn good one. From the outside it's pretty much identical.

[​IMG]

The texturing is identical, I think it was the flash on my camera.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  20. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

which is the main point with bootleg. it needs to look identical to unsuspecting/less informed buyers :p