Early Saturn Game Screen shots

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Ollie

Ollie Robust Member

Yup, also notice how early those screens are, with the Blue and Yellow floor, different rings, scenery, etc.

2. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Sonic The Fighters is still one of the few possible Saturn conversions mentioned back in the day that we don't know much about, since it was listed for release as late as May 1998 while sources close to developer AM2 claim it was cancelled much earlier and dissolved into the Fighters Megamix project. On the other hand, it's also been claimed on various occasions the game was never intended for a home conversion, the first instance of this being its inclusion as part of the Sonic Gems Collection years later. Those pictures were from a very early Model 2 build, though of course they're important to anyone remotely interested in the production of this particular title. I'd personally love to hear more from those who worked on it, such as Daichi Katagiri, Hiroshi Kataoka and Takashi Iizuka to find out exactly what happened once and for all, though especially the latter since he may be able to shed new light on his planned cameo appearance that never came to be... and to think if it weren't for hackers we'd probably never have known about this!

3. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

That reminds me of something I scanned a long time ago, but didn't even remember I had until now:

[​IMG]

It's from a European Saturn catalog, from a section for upcoming games (don't remember which catalog right now, but I know I've got it around somewhere). I think it's from about 1996, since Daytona USA: CCE is listed as upcoming.

4. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

sega planned it for saturn at some point for sure..look at fighters megamix...sonic the fighters was half done there!

5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Sonic the Fighters as we all know was even listed witha release date on the official Japanese Sega homepage at one point.

Yakumo

6. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

can't say you missed out much. Sonic the Fighters is a mediocre game bordering on bad.

7. 7Force

I've had this theory that the menu graphics in the Sonic Gems Collection version of StF were lifted from the unfinished Saturn port. It's probably completely wrong, but makes sense considering how much of a rush job SGC was, with every other game in the collection ported from the PC versions.

Also, the intro music of StF is the best part of the game. I think if I had paid $50 or so for a Saturn port of it, I'd be pissed at paying that much for a shallow crapfest of a fighting game. On the other hand, it would've made Sonic R look good.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  8. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Big scans

panzer dragoon proto demo vid (saturn)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some closer pics of the above

[​IMG]

clockwork night proto demo vid (saturn)

part of what looks like an intro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Anthaemia.

Those early Clockwork Knight screenshots are actually from the SGI-rendered prototype video that was presented at the Winter '94 CES, and the very same clip is hidden in Clockwork Knight 2 (but for some reason not the PAL version). Also, is it just me or do those Panzer Dragoon images look as if they're either sourced from a dreadful-quality tape or even the rumoured interim Saturn design that was later resurrected as the Nintendo 64? I've read in the past they could be of the 32X build, though I can't believe for one second the original footage was that blurry - neither of Sega's 32-bit platforms had that kind of texture filtering capacity! Then again, there are certain similarities with Scavenger's tech demo of the same period so perhaps it could be possible after all...

10. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

some are tech demo's i reckon but their all saturn showcase games
    maybe not playable but running off saturn hardware i dunno. also the pics are not much better in the magazine.

11. Anthaemia.

Clockwork Knight, Panzer Dragoon and Victory Goal were all presented at the Winter '94 CES running in video form as pre-rendered Silicon Graphics workstation tech demos. The fact many of those screenshots perfectly match their respective footage sources - a few in the correct order! - confirms this without any doubt. Of course, there are prototypes for all three games based on their actual Saturn code, as I briefly saw the former back in the day. Also, it should be noted that both Panzer Dragoon and Clockwork Knight are rumoured to have started off as 32X projects, so it's possible there may be clips of these games in that period of their respective production cycles out there as well.

12. Barc0de

The SGI-based SEGA console that later got pitched to nintendo was not materialized until much later. SEGA were selling the idea at that point loosely based on the MIPS 4300i. Thus, you won't find any screenshots of games for that platform because there was no platform at the time, just a cheap version of the MIPS 4K to build around.

13. Anthaemia.

Thanks for that information, but do you have a more accurate idea of when the SGI hardware concept was first pitched so that we can produce a better timeline of the Saturn's development?

14. Barc0de

from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64

visit the page and go for the numerical footprints,there should be dates cited..

in other words see when "SGI acquired MIPS" date and forth..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  15. Yakumo

Remember that Sega Video that I'm always going on about? Well, that's where that British mag got those images from. It is NOT a 32X build or a Saturn build. Those Panzer Dragoon shots are 100% CGI. What those shots don't show you is that the dragon ends up flying in to a cave. The shots in that Magazine are the same quality as the video I have / had. Coincident? No, not really. My source of the video also had connections within EMAP and supplied them with the same tape. So any BS they print about some magical trip to Japan or behind closed doors secret preview is just that, BS :lol:

Yakumo

16. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

More daytona
    1 pic in the right bottom corner

[​IMG]

17. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

gems :)

split realities
    2D action/rpg looks great also for psx

[​IMG]

and again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This looks like a publicity stunt to me by peperami (below)

[​IMG]

aftermath more unreleased 2D action

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  18. Yakumo

More great scans :thumbsup: The game called Hordlings was released under the title of The Horde

Yakumo

19. 7Force

There was actually a bad Peperami-based point and click game called Animal released on the PC (and for some reason, the game's website from 1996 is still online), but it was released by Ocean, not Acclaim...maybe the game changed publishers at some point?

20. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Cheers guys.arrr the hord of course it was i will replace it with another unreleased game.