Early Saturn Game Screen shots

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Mar 26, 2006.

1. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

The spinning car boogie was dropped from the final game..shame really :-(

[​IMG]

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

No it wasn't. You can crash and spin the cars in the original Saturn Daytona with ease. You can also cause a pile up with CPU controlled cars crashing and spinning. Looks really cool on the replay if you can pull it off.

By the way, fantastic Shinobi shot. Yet another level not in the final game. I tell you, that game must have been near complete before they scrapped the lot in favor of what we have now. I mean, those ealy shots look so good!

yakumo

3. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

I'm 80% convinced that the first shinobi build was for the 32X.

4. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Cheers:icon_bigg
    Last night i gave shin shinobi den another go and its just like everyone has said it is. it dont feel like a shinobi game nor look like one in parts plus the live action cut scenes are not shinobi at all animation would of been best.
    when i got to level 2 i could not belive how much better the pic of the cut level would have been the cool orange sky it looks the nuts but i can't tell
    if its a level where you just move up through like in the final.

the spinning boogie thing was ment as a joke im sure you know;-)
    also can't you get pushed along by the other cars through the whole race too.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  5. Yakumo

Time for some more big scans. Today's scans are from a 50% version of Gran Racer which was actually released as Gran Chaser in Japan and Cyber Speedway in the west.

Most noticeable difference is that the HUD is completely different from the final game. Also the ships/cars that you control have no textures at all and to be honest look a lot better than those in the final game. You'll also notice many wire frame polygons everywhere as place holders.

The wire frame on this shot show where the metal grid over the lava should be.
    [​IMG]

Looks like the programmers wanted to build out the walls more in the below shot according to those wire frame markers.
    [​IMG]

Ooh, nasty generic low resolution wall textures and a lovely clean car.
    [​IMG]

I have no idea where this shot is meant to be. Looks to be some sort of space city. A lost level maybe?
    [​IMG]

Yakumo

6. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Early dragoon pics (i think)

nice gran chaser pics above.i think the hud is the best part of the game
    here are some pre release panzer dragoon.

[​IMG]

7. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

DAYTONA USA

[​IMG]

8. M2fan

M2fan Rapidly Rising Member

Whoah. Those are some strange pics

9. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

YES!

These are my thoughts exactly. I remember seeing Daytona on a Japanese saturn running the rolling demo in a Telegames store just after it was released over there and being blown away by Daytona USA's graphics :lol: (I am serious).

But if you look past the dogs dinner of graphics, the gameplay is almost perfect (although the virtua wheel is far too sensitive).

10. daytonausa

daytonausa Enthusiastic Member

I totally agree. As you might be able to tell from my screen name here, it's my favorite game for my favorite system :love:.

However, I really hated Championship Edition. The noise of the cars, look of the cars, and steering was totally off, and didn't feel like Daytona USA at all. However, the draw distance was much better.

I'd rather play the Saturn edition than any other version other than that of the arcade. When I have the pleasure of playing the arcade unit, there's no better moment in gaming for me :nod:.

I'd love to have an arcade unit one day. Oh, and don't get me started on the Dreamcast version. It's just not the same...

Very interesting shots. Thanks for sharing these, guys. I'm especially impressed by those Panzer Dragoon shots. I wish the finished game looked like that :drool:!

11. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

12. Yakumo

See the car driving on the Sega logo in the above picture? That's the high resolution Saturn tech demo that I had on video. Very impressive I can tell you!

How about these! Actual shots of the production pre-rendered character used in Clockwork Knights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next we have the original background image designs from Panzer Dragoon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Early Panzer Dragoon screen shots coming soon.

Yakumo

13. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Cool pics never seen any clockwork night before i think the ones i have look the same as the final release so i guess they are im not sure.
    the panzer art pics are taken from the japanese game guide not a bad book.

14. saturn_worship

great great great!

that and my vf2 pics / scud racer saturn interview are cool..

15. daytonausa

I'd sell off my whole collection of games and systems for one copy of that high resolution Sega Saturn version of Daytona USA :D.

Thanks for the pictures guys. This is amazing to see.

16. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Love those PD backgrounds. Are they actually from the game or concept art/something similar?

17. daytonausa

I'm curious about that as well. Also, are those things only 2D and not 3D (the stuff in the water)?

18. Yakumo

The Panzer shots are from a Saturn CG disc. I didn't know but it as others have pointed out, they also appear in the Panzer Dragoon art book. The images use the actual "mode7" floor used in the game with 2D art overlayed on to them.

Yakumo

19. saturn_worship

yakumo do you have more early panzer shots? :)

20. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

I dont think there is a panzer dragoon artbook as i found out i would love one for any of the panzer games or one with art from all of them in. this is the book the pics are also in it has lots of bits of art but their small most of the book is pics of the game as its a guide to help you complete it i only brought this cos someone told me it was an artbook/guide its not.:-(

[​IMG]

nice link

http://pdsoasis.panzerdragoon.net