Early Saturn Game Screen shots

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Mar 26, 2006.

1. MentalMan

MentalMan Spirited Member

Ah, yea that is indeed not third party. Didnt even knew there was a AM3, and wiki spits out only this uninformative page.

Oh well. Makes me think back to dreamcast magazine days and a preview of daytona usa 2001, with a little retrospective of the first daytona and its console counterparts, comming to the conclusion there will probably never be any arcade perfect port of daytona.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The PAL and US Circuit editions of Daytona are worse than the Japanese version which was released a lot later. The Japanese version does have original music while the US version only has that redone crap. Also the Japanese version had it's handling changed. It's a lot better but no where near the quality of the original. It really is a shame. As for the DC version, the controls just aren't right and those new cars don't say Daytona to me :(

Yakumo

3. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

I have the Japanese Circuit Edition, and like you said, the handling is much better but still doesn't feel like Daytona.

When you look at the pretty much arcade perfect Sega Rally port you can't help but think what the Saturn could have really done with Daytona.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. MentalMan

Reading around on the wiki page of Circuit edition, the US and PAL release does sound incredibly terrible, nearly everything about it.

I dont even know who these 2 ballsacks are that did the new music, neither do I want to find out.

My best friend wants to put a bullet through his head when he hears the "Daaaytooonaaaaa!" song, but for me it's an all time trash classic that shouldnt be changed, neither the handling of cars (other then improvements, but for PAL and US it sounds more like retarding it). Pretty cheesy decisions.

Just like doing Sega Rally for DC with WindowsCE :crying:

5. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Here is another shin shinobi beta pic (not very good quality soz)

[​IMG]

6. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I have a feeling if am2 had a lot more time to develop the game it would of turned out looking a lot better. I agree though that the 1st port developed by am2 plays the best, they somehow figured out how to make the dpad control like the arcade!!! Btw nice Daytona and Shinobi shots.

7. VMS

VMS Robust Member

That looked much more like a proper Shinobi game early on, and not a digitized-graphics festival.

8. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Some more cool early daytona pics

look mom one wheel
    [​IMG]

one two no three yellow cars ha ha ha haaaa
    [​IMG]

the pit crew will be here any minute
    [​IMG]

arrr the long and winding road
    [​IMG]

TAKE THE RIGHT! there is bugger all down the left.
    [​IMG]

how many cars did you say are in this race :dance:
    [​IMG]

i think i need to get my eyes tested :eek:h:
    [​IMG]

hello ladies check out my big 41 :katamari:
    [​IMG]

9. MentalMan

Haha, funny shots indeed. Thanks, rod_wood.

There's actually a fourth yellow car to the right, isnt there? :nod:

edit: Is it maybe a misconception from my side, or do I see a huge draw distance on all these early daytona shots? Oh my, if only the final daytona would at least have that, lol.

edit: comming to think about it, the road seem's to be missing a few meters ahead on a few screenshots so I guess that was popping in all along.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  10. 7Force

It's easy to have a huge draw distance when's there's almost no track detail and no other cars.

11. MentalMan

Of course it is, Im not unfamiliar in how a 3D game engine works.

It was just a thought and i realized that the draw distance is still sucky when looking really close, the track is missing too often and, yes, while having almost nothing on the track :110:

12. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

saw the last picture?? is that light sourcing and hi-res? is that saturn? o_O

13. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Oh yeah but The driver had not seen that car yet too busy checking out the best place to carve a sonic in the wall :katamari: :katamari: ;-)

ps.i like the distance thing going on with these beta pics.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  14. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

The "light sourcing" in that last picture is more than likely a result of what happens when journalists stick their camera in front of a screen to get shots the developers would rather not allow the world to see, though considering the clear high resolution it's possible advanced lighting effects were also part of Keiji Okayasu's early Daytona USA prototype on Saturn. Unless better quality images surface I'm not going to assume either way on this one, though I do seem to recall having some footage of a later build (with placeholder graphic text still present, by the way) in my collection somewhere that I would happily share... if only I could find half of my archive - it's been over a year since I moved house and there are plenty of boxes left to organise! Finally, wasn't it the same CS Team behind Sega Rally's conversion that handled Daytona CCE? While credited as AM3 on the box, only arcade producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi was drafted in from the original group to supervise, if memory serves me correctly.

15. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  16. Anthaemia.

That's right, but Daytona Deluxe has a PC exclusive track as well to make it the definitive version... unless you prefer AM2's earlier Saturn treatment or have the means to perfectly emulate the Model 2 original, that is! With so many options available, who needs Genki and Amusement Vision's 2001 update for the Dreamcast?

17. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

shin shinobi den beta pic

Ok back to shinobi x. man im telling ya im gonna have to bust this out later all these pics are making me want to play it.i can't remember how much different the final copy is to the beta cos i have not played it for like 8 years or more anyway enjoy this pic.

[​IMG]

18. 7Force

Was the PC Daytona USA Deluxe really based on the Japanese Circuit Edition? Not that it matters because the PC versions of both Daytonas were completely terrible.

19. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

i'm still freaked out by that last daytona pic..looks amazing!

20. Anthaemia.

In order to have Daytona ready for the Saturn's launch, AM2 made several graphical compromises. I can only begin to imagine what could have been if they'd not reduced its frame rate, resolution and draw distance, instead producing something closer to Keiji Okayasu's prototype version. At least VF2 helped silence any critics... along with Virtua Cop as a similarly high quality Model 2 conversion, as well!