Early Saturn Game Screen shots

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Yakumo, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

The early Saturn screen shots thread is back!

I've come upon some very nice quality (for the time at least) images of early Saturn games.

Starting the new collection is the game that originally started this thread, Shin Shinobi Den. The following screen shots are nothing like the final game. None of these areas feature in the final game as well as all enemies in these shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More very early screen shots to follow very soon!

Yakumo

2. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

man, i'd love to play that beta, too!
    thanks for the screenies!

3. MentalMan

MentalMan Spirited Member

Nice on yakumo, these are great. Any idea what year these where from? Maybe something around 1994/95. Very interesting!

4. Yakumo

These shots are from November 1994 !! Shin Shinobi Den wasn't released until 30th June 1995. So these shots are just over half old before the final game was released. Just wait until you see the Dayton shots I've got lined up!! On some parts of the track floor they're using the car's window's textures!

Yakumo

5. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

I have tons of old sega mags i know ive seen some early saturn stuff in them i will go on a mag hunt see what i can find.
    great pics too

6. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

post that guys!

AWESOME is the word!

7. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

All these early shots, feel more like Shinobi compared to the final game, good game but still missing something... though much better than the PS2 crap we got a few years ago...

8. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

not a great find i dont think this panzer pic is anything new i will search again later i know i can find one pic worth showing . but on the other hand i did find some md mcd and 32x stuff but im not sure if its new to the net i will post them on another thread if its worth it i dont want to mess yakumo post up with stuff everyone has seen before. below is the panzer dragoon pic and a list of what i found.

md
    akira
    kartoon kombat
    ardvark
    creative antics
    prime
    interplanetary lizards
    steven seagal (dose not look the same as the snes proto)

mcd
    the strangers

32x
    team wipeout

the games above could be on other systems and they have just used a pic from them let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Yakumo

The bottom picture of Panzer Dragoon is not in the final game. Looks to be some sort of test area. Just look at the floor. It's the same texture repeated over and over.

Yakumo

PS: Yeah, best not to post Mega Drive stuff and so on in this thread. I'd like to keep it saturn only.

10. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Sure i will look for more tomorrow i have a few more of panzer and some of clockwork knight but im not sure if their early shots i have many more mags to check out.thanks for the shinobi pics i love the energy bar
    looks like the one from that pce game ganpei toumaden.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  11. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

Is it possible to get a copy of those without the smeared logo on them?

12. Yakumo

nope, sorry. I paid to get these so I'd like my site to have a bit of credit :nod:

And one with the show. Next up we have 20% version of Daytona. Yes, that's right, 20%!

Just check out this very early car select screen! The English used is quite interesting.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot from a replay or so it seems. Notice the speed counter in the center of the screen. Also there's no background areas yet such as mountains or trees.
    [​IMG]

Only two cars available with the yellow one having really bad textures.
    [​IMG]

Just check out that wacky floor texture! Know what it is? Yes, that's right. It's the car's window texture! Also the textures on the car while not in place properly seem to be higher quality than those used in the final game.
    [​IMG]

Finally a better look at that yellow car's awful textures. Jsut look at the windscreen:eek:h:
    [​IMG]

More early Saturn game shots still to come :thumbsup:

Yakumo

13. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Nice, I like how they used a wheel instead of a steering wheel on the select screen :lol: What are those textures on the other car anyway? The manual car doesn't look anything like that in the final game!

14. MentalMan

Mission Select :lol:

So you payed for those Yakumo? And now you are presenting them to all of us, very kind of you. :nod:

edit: actually I start to think the build we see in these shots looks more fun then what we got later as Daytona USA on saturn, bah. The only port I ever enjoyed was the Dreamcast one, but even that dosnt came close to the greatness that the arcade version was. Ah well.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  15. Yakumo

No idea but it looks like someone is playing a guitar on the back half of it :lol:

Yes, I'm such as nice guy. Actually it's been a while since I presented anything nice here at ASEMMbler so it was time for some goodness. By the way, when I say I paid for the images I don't mean the actual pictures but the source from which hey came. You probably already guessed that though.

To be honest, the first Saturn Daytona was a fantastic game to play. It was so close to the arcade for playability it was uncanny. AM2 did wonders getting the pad controls just right. It's a shame it looked like shit though. Dreamcast Daytona would be good if they kept the original tunes and the original looking cars even as a secret car would be nice.

Yakumo

16. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Can't wait we want more i think i may have some cool pics to add.:icon_bigg

17. MentalMan

Does this also count for the original release? I could never play the supposed to be enhanced Championship Circuit Edition, also I never saw 60hz saturn daytona.

So honestly my opinion is based on the shit pal release I have flying around haha. It really is a shame it looks like it does, it always makes me depressed. Like the saturn couldnt do better, so therefore the fun gets left behind at the starting line haha. I do have to agree with the controls though, they are ported rather well.

For the DC version's control's, I've never understood why the analog had to be so sensitive. You get used to it but it feels and looks still awkward if you suddenly change the degree of steering or even max it out.

Btw, on youtube a long while ago, I saw a moddet version of DC's Daytona with Arcade sounds! Only audio department had been modified but damn, it did gave a lot of the old "feel" back :nod:

edit: Oh I think i've found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQfQzd9cRM

18. 7Force

The port may look bad, but it plays way better than the later Championship Circuit/Circuit Edition (the handling in that is just boring and there's absolutely no sense of speed), and that's what really matters IMO.

I think a different developer made CCE, and that's why it's nothing like the arcade - it pretty much feels like an inferior sequel than a version of the original Daytona. Of course, it would have been nice to have a real port with better graphics... BTW, it says Mission Select in the final too :110:

19. MentalMan

Thank goodness I wasnt able to play it. Thanks for clearing that up, sound's like a typical 'third party' "enhancement".

lol! That's awesome, didnt know that. I never noticed it. :nod:

Me choses to fight automatick, lez bettle.

20. 7Force

It's not really that bad, and it's not by a third party (I checked, it's by AM3 while the original was AM2), it just doesn't feel like Daytona at all.