Early PS3 coldboot and gameboot sounds

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Bens411, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Bens411

Bens411 Member

Hi,
    I was digging into early PS3 firmwares, and I just found that pre-0.94 firmware (available on DECR machines) have very different coldboot and gameboot sounds.
    They're included in this post. There's just a stereo version of it, no 6 channels version seemed to exist at that time.
    I was wondering if a member of the Assembler community could test such an early firmware on a DECR PS3 to share (if possible) what the startup and gameboot screen (or more, like the menu) looked like on video.
    It would be very intersting to see what the PS3 OS was in its early form.
    Thanks for your answer !

Attached Files:

Armorant likes this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Already done for coldboot.
    Can you tell me what firmware exactly gameboot came from

Here's another

Armorant and americandad like this.
  3. Bens411

Bens411 Member

The author of this video hacked his PS3, installed REBUG CFW (hence the different boot logo) and manually changed the sound by replacing the system startup sound (probably via MultiMan). I would like to see the bootscreen (and gameboot) in its early form, out of curiosity.
    It came from the DECR 0.92 Firmware, available at http://darthsternie.bplaced.com/ps3.html
    Earlier firmwares (0.90, 0.91.005 and 0.91.006) have the same sounds, with the same MD5 :
    DA2AAB16B66F9877C2BC9049CB51A811 for coldboot
    22AFD3B8D9C2EFD6A1B70ACBA23B14BD for gameboot
    Thanks ! Interesting to see an early firmware in action. There is no background wave in this menu. Also, there seems to be two HDMI outputs in the DECR, like the early PS3 prototypes shown in 2005 !

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Im the author of the video. You modify the flash. It's not hard to write to it. It was my DECR as well. The bootup is the same as well for the most part.
    Just needed to know what one specifically. I ask as it doesn't normally show up (since no games were around then, was essentially dormant).
    This had been brought up to me some time back and I had my fun with it already. I just never posted about it since it was such a niche thing to begin with. The gameboot was news to me so thanks for bringing it up.

The DECR has a firmware limit based on the RSX revision, so depending on the revision you can go older in terms of firmware. Mine is a b01 revision which can go fairly far back before it bricks the system whereas a b07 could never reach 0.85. And yes both HDMI outputs work on that firmware. I tried it. It's about what I expected. The extra LAN ports didnt work though so not sure when those will work.

For the record I have a lot of PS3 firmwares and ebootroms so I do have access to them at any time. It's just when you get to ebootroms that unpacking becomes hard (and repacking)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Bens411 likes this.
  5. Bens411

Bens411 Member

Thanks for the answer !
    No problem. I also saw that exact gameboot audio file on 0.90, 0.91.005 and 0.91.006. I decompiled those firmwares using PUAD GUI. Since 0.94, they used the startup and gameboot sounds from pre 3.00 firmwares (at first, there was juste stereo sounds, and they added the 6 channel version later).
    You're welcome ! After five years being a member of this forum, I'm glad I can bring something (even small) to the community. If you find something, please let me know.
    Woh, that's nice ! What's the earliest firmware in your collection ?

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

upload_2017-12-7_3-35-20.png

7. Bens411

Bens411 Member

That's super rare ! I wonder what the system looked like back in the day. There was probably no menu at that time.
    I've got an idea, which can look stupid : it would be great to make videos explaining the development of game consoles, by showing the evolution of hardware and software prototypes over time. Like Assembler used to do, or GameHut. It can be, like, one episode per console, and showing the evolution in terms of hardware and software design. I don't know if it's legally possible, and it would require the work of a lot of people in the community, but I can really be worth it.

8. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Your idea is fine to do but there's separate risk involved.
    In order to make that happen you'd need a CEB machine, a DEH machine, knowledge of operating these machines, ensuring you dont break them, funding them (I only know of 2 CEB machines in the wild. One sold, one bricked), making sure you do everything right, are aware of all the little specifics that could be the difference between a functional system and a brick.
    It would not be easy or financially doable unless you're loaded and know people.

And like I mentioned with the RSX revisions, if you go too low on a too recent revision you'll brick your DECR, so unless you have a flasher to be able to undo that problem you risk losing your system to an accident that is poorly documented as it is. In fact my DECR can go lower than 0.85, but due to risk of bricking and being unsure of how low it can actually go I decided not just stop where I'm satisfied, as I rather like having my system function.

9. Bens411

Bens411 Member

Thanks for the answer. I'll just have to get rich and powerful then !

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Good luck, I've never seen anything before a DECR1000A for sale, nor do I know anyone with one or anyone who has seen one for sale.

11. Qrissi

Qrissi Rising Member

Really cool info here guys! :p I always had a dream about using 2 HDTVs with my new shiny cool silver PS3, until they ditched that idea. So with fw 0.85 both HDMI ports work but can they output signal simultaneously? :cool:

12. Bens411

Bens411 Member

I don't know, maybe @PixelButts knows. I guess the menu could only output to one screen only, and that it was up to the developers to make use of the two screens simultaneously.

13. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

If i recall it was for display mirroring. Think 2 displays back to back, one player on each side.
    I'm assuming this was reworked into the 3d display support due to how it works

I can try, I would just need to downgrade it again and that's one hell of a nerve wracking procedure for me