NOTICE E.U. Article 13 passing, and ramifications.

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I don't think anyone has any clue what's happening in all honesty.

Pretty sure it's going to end up in a cluster fuck, but at least England can be great again, or something like that..

2. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

Apparently we're getting blue passports.

3. Hiccup

Hiccup Robust Member

Ask on GBATemp.

Marmotta likes this.
  4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

1519638193280.gif
    I dont know where to begin, so I'm going to assume it will resolve itself.
    Whatever is going on in England will find a way to make sense.

good likes this.
  5. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

UK still has plenty of good things going for it... territory in a diverse range of climate zones all over the world, numerous offspring colonies to trade and make strategic alliances with, the French to poke fun at. The sun has yet to set. MPGA - Make Pitcairn Great Again

6. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Is that the one about arming bears?

Personally, I don't recognize the European argument you speak of. Perhaps with the exception of the French, who feels that France is superior to all other nations because France.

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Free speech, which is much more broad in the USA than in UK/Canada. There's an exception for libel and threats, but not for hate-speech like in Canada.

Arming bears is a felony in Canada since the infamous 1983's AKodiak47 incident.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    americandad, Arcadia and notataco64 like this.
  8. notataco64

You're thinking about the 2nd Amendment. The 1st Amendment ensures that no fees will be collected for speech. This was decided upon in response to the old 20 cents per text (sending & receiving) offerings from prepaid mobile providers.

FaZyCrUcK and Bad_Ad84 like this.
  9. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

You completely miss the point of free speech. Putting people in jail for words, thoughts or ideas (without call to violence) is reprehensible, however degenerate those thoughts and ideas might be.

Such feels, such offense, such hurt butt.. No safe space available where you are?

Nobody cares about the EU, so save your silly EU-patriotism, it's not even a country (yet, thank god).
    The topic is about the shitty new law we have to suffer here in the EU, and it doesn't matter how you frame it - the point remains.

"Another leftist-cuck retranslating words ze doesn't understand". Does that sound friendly and nice to you? No? Treat your neighbor as yourself.
    You are absolved fom saying anything, since you so willingly resign your right to do so. Let other people speak their minds, so we can actually evolve a little.

UK is very European. Do no confuse the EU with "European". Two completely different things. One is political, the other is cultural and geographical.

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

As someone who is actually from the UK. I can tell you I don't come across any that consider us part of Europe.

Likely why we don't use the euro either.

In fact, anyone here saying Europe means the main continent. We are only grouped with Europe due to how islands are often classified.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=europe

I stand by my original comment, we are certainly not as European as the rest of you. Technically accurate or not, it's the majority sentiment here in my experience.

james2452 likes this.
  11. -=FamilyGuy=-

To add to that, there's really a similitude/continuum of culture/attitude in France/Spain/Italia/Switzerland/Germany, but the UK doesn't really fit in there. It's a mentality/culture/social thing really I believe; not geography.

12. notataco64

Then I willingly reinstate my God-given right to free speech that I resigned in the depths of sarcasm yesterday to say no. People need to be saved from mean words on the internet and we need a police state to fix it now. In the name of love and tolerance, this means war. Stop being racist against my desire to censor others who disagree with me.

americandad and Bad_Ad84 like this.
  13. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

That's how it is everywhere, even where I live and we're definitely European. We can say stuff like we're going to Europe for a vacation, by which we mean the usual ones, like Germany, France, Spain or Italy.

Also, you are grouped with Europe because your culture is a result of your island being invaded by four different European peoples, each one leaving their mark. It's not like you're basque, living in an ethnic bubble surrounded by people who aren't related to you.

americandad and dizzzy like this.
  14. -=FamilyGuy=-

Hi from French Canada here!

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  15. americandad

Yet again, you are confusing politics with culture and geography.... UK is as European as can be, both politically and culturally. Doesn't matter what you consider yourself to be, this is a basic fact.
    "Majority sentiment" doesn't mean anything. The "majority sentiment" in Saudi Arabia is that sharia law is a good thing, that doesn't make it true.

16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Actually, I'm not confusing anything.

Borders and labels are man made. Its only what it is because people agreed and accepted it to be.

We aren't on the Europe main land. Culture can't be the reason, else you would be including the USA, Canada or Australia as we colonised those. The only reason we are deemed European is due to bundling our island in with the closest continent.

How the people feel about what they belong to certainly does matter. See ireland/Northern Ireland for reference. Or even the USA and independence which by good timing is today.

Change only takes enough people agreeing about something. Pluto was a planet - "a fact", until it wasn't anymore. Pluto didn't change, just the definition.

You are dragging me and this into more than was originally intended. You seem to want to make a mountain out of a mole hill and quite frankly, I don't care enough to reply about it anymore. I never said we aren't European, but just like FamilyGuy said - it's certainly doesn't seem "as" European as most others. Its likely only going to feel less so too once we leave the eu.

This difference in thinking has been going on for a long time and not just from this random guy on the Internet. Churchill also said something similar.

This website has the quote and sums up a lot of the difference and incompatibility with UK and Europe (or the rest of Europe, if that makes you feel better) .

https://www.politico.eu/article/bri...an-island-david-cameron-compatibility-europe/

So let's stop arguing. If world leaders can't always agree on these things - I don't think ranting on a forum will make much difference.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    skarpo01 likes this.
  17. americandad

18. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

I never hear about Canada.
    What are they up to these days?

19. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

As a EU citizen who's been living and working in England for several years, I agree with this 100 percent. Regardless of the fact that the UK is only a couple of hours away from major EU cities, everything is extremely different. The way people think, the way people work together, the way people do business, politics, the school system, humor/joke, newspapers, the view about the world and geopolitics etc etc, absolutely none of this matches with any other EU countries or the European model.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  20. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Yeah because we EU-ians are exactly the same, noone can really distinguish a Finn from a Spaniard. Those Finns are all about maƱana. And in Estonia, man, there are wine restaurants all over the place, and the Greeks are as punctual as the Germans.

Traace and americandad like this.