DVT4 strange mod

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by bowser22, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

1. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

Just picked up a DVT4, console seems to work fine but has a couple of quirks. One being that it soft resets when the eject button is pressed on the front. The tray still ejects, but the dashboard reloads. I've checked the usual offending traces that cause front button issues for continuity and the clock caps been removed long ago, so what gives? Additionally, when I flip over the mainboard I notice this
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a resistor attached to a cap near C7T3 and a small bridge as well, could it have been added due to an error in the pcb? It is a prototype

2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Sometimes the power button / eject board itself needs to be replaced. If it has Microsoft stamped on the top of the motherboard it's not a prototype. In regards to the resistor, could be anything including previous owners if it's been opened.

bowser22 likes this.
  3. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

Thanks Syclopse, would you happen to have any pictures of a dvt4 or 3 with the cover off? Trying to also figure out the stock cable routing, as it appears the heatsheild presses down really hard on the debug boards, its even cause one of them to distort

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I may from my first tear down, you're talking with the SCSI and serial cards? Usually the metal shield is tweaked and bent and the cover doesn't seat all the way down.

5. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

Yes sir that's the one

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Thats why I dont like to take them apart unless I have to, they never go back together the same

bowser22 and Syclopse like this.
  7. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

yeah, it had already been taken apart before to have the clock cap removed by the previous owner, appears he just smushed the whole thing back together thus bending the heatsheild up. I've fixed it now, still has the eject reset but I'll live with it. Thanks @Syclopse @Borman