Duo vs Duo-R/Duo-RX

Discussion in 'PC Engine / Turbografx Discussion' started by Nick, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Rapidly Rising Member

Does anyone have any opinions on the the Duo vs the Duo-R/Duo-RX ? I know the Duo is notorious for failing caps, but I can replace them without too much trouble. Is there anything else I need to consider?

2. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Active Member

The duo is sturdier and has a better board. And looks nicer. Thats my opinion.

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

I have heard talk that the original DUO other than the bad caps is superior to the later DUO-R/RX models in certain ways. If recapping is no big deal for you, just get whichever one you prefer. I don't think they are vastly different. If you want a headphone output the original DUO has that while the DUO-R does not. I think the AV port also might be located somewhere different.

I had a DUO many years ago but got rid of it when I started nothing issues with sound that may have been cap related, plus a general lack of games I was playing on it. I picked up the DUO-R later on and haven't had any issues thus far.

You may want to add a RGB mod or S-Video mod to get some better quality video regardless of which model you get.

4. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

It matters not. Cutbacks were mostly aesthetic (plastics for example) so go with which looks most appealing to you, if you don't mind not having the headphone socket or having to do a cap job.

The RX was the only one that came with a six button controller ;)