Dumping Snes Eproms

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Nighty, May 8, 2019.

1. Nighty

Nighty Rising Member

Hello :)
    Can anybody help me to make sense of some snes Eprom data?

I have 5 single Eproms here - 3 of them are "unidentified" as they have no writing on them.
    So i bought a TL866 and tried to read the Eproms.
    In the software i selected a M27C4001 @ DIP32 EPROM and i was able to read the data.
    I had to uncheck "Check ID" otherwise i was not able to read them, as you can see on the screenshot.

So i read the Eproms all the same way and saved the .bin files.
    One of them is labeled "Ghoul Patrol"
    Looking at the bin file of it in "NSRT" shows corrupt/bad checksum. But it shows "Sunsoft US" in the company information.

One of the "unidentified EPROMS" actually shows more information in NSRT.
    Game > Ghoul Patrol - but also bad checksum.

Both of these .bin files do not work with Snes9x emulator.

As i said, i read all Eproms the exact same way, with the same settings and one of the unidentified is working perfect with Snes9x. Its Harley's Humongous Adventure.

Can anybody make any sense of that? Is it possible that the bin files are a "bad dump"?
    Those two "Ghoul Patrol related" Eproms - maybe they are Part 1 and Part 2 ??
    I tried a checksum fix tool - but they are still not working after the fix.

Can anybody make any sense of that? Is it possible that the bin files are a "bad dump"?
    What else can i try to get these working?

Thank you for your support.

Nighty

Attached Files:

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

What was the eprom part number(s)? Are you sure they matched the pinout of the chip you read them as?

3. Nighty

Nighty Rising Member

The Number of the pins are matching. But the Eprom Type Numbers are not listed in the software which came with the programmer. They are similar but not the same. Is that a problem? I read that the type numbers are more important for writing than for reading them.

4. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

By pinout he means the function of each and every pin on the EPROM, not just the total number of pins on the EPROM - you'll need to look up the data sheet for the particular brand/part number of the EPROM you're trying to read to see what it is.

I'd strongly suggest that you do not try to use the EPROM reader to read any more EPROMs until you are sure that you have everything set up properly, otherwise you can corrupt the data stored on the EPROMs you're trying to dump.

And yes, I would try combining the two already existing bin files, with the unknown1.BIN as the first part, and ghoulpatrol.BIN as the second part. But, again, please do not redump the EPROMs until you can be 100% sure that you have the settings correct on the reader.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. Nighty

Nighty Rising Member

Thank you for your advice!
    How do i combine the two .bin files to one file?
    Problem is that the software of the programmer doesnt have these old eproms in its database :-(
    So i guess i will have to send it back. Can you recommend another programmer which supports these eproms?
    Thanks

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The issue is, if you have used the wrong chip - you could have damaged the data on the chips.

You dont need the exact part number - many chips have compatible part numbers made by other companies. You need to check datasheet of chip you have vs chip you are selecting in software and confirm the pin layout is the same.

Got to be honest, I wouldnt recommend doing this if you dont know what you are doing - you can damage and lose the data forever and I did offer to help you out for no charge.

I have a professional grade programmer (elnec) and can read just about anything.

Read this thread:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/estopolis-ii-lufia-2-prototype.40481/page-3

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  7. Nighty

Nighty Rising Member

@Bad_Ad84 i really appreciate your offer.
    The thing is, i would like to learn how to dump them - because i recently got quite a lot of prototypes, close to 90 pieces.
    Sending them all for dumping is quite a lot of work, beside that its risky (if the parcel gets lost)
    So learning how to handle them myself is not a bad idea.
    On the other side its also a risk that i could damage them...
    Where are you located @Bad_Ad84 ?

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

9. Nighty

Nighty Rising Member

That worked - combined with HJ-Split.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

Kao likes this.
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

you can combine files at the command line with copy /b file1.ext + file2.exe output.ext too

You may also need to interleave files - id suggest winhex or hex workshop or something along those lines.

Nighty likes this.
  11. afsblood

afsblood Active Member

In the readings of my old eproms I had to clean their feet with a micro rectifies dremel type. for they had been standing and rusty for many years. My eproms programmer graphically shows if any pins are in bad contact. My recorder is TOP3000 with TOPall software. I believe that your equipment has support for these eproms you first need to be sure of how to correctly identify them. If you are not sure where you are located each pin of your eprom you can try to read straight from the cartridge (similar to what makes the reader to krikzz's megadrive) or reverse engineer and discover the data pins and addresses through where they are connected in the pcb slot.