Dumping GameCube NR Disc

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Hasben, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Hasben

Hasben Member

I've got a prototype (?) GameCube game on an NR disc coming in the mail over the next few days. I've looked up some guides on how to properly dump this, but nothing direct has shown up, there are no videos, and very lackluster information is available.

Is there a proper way to dump this disc? I don't have an NR console, nor am I looking to purchase one to rip one game disc. I'm not particularly a collector so aside from this game I would have no reason to own an NR console.

I've read the program RawDump is able to do this but I've seen mixed results, some people said you had to take the case off the dvd drive (one of the ones compatible with RawDump) and then swap the disk mid-rip or something but I can't seem to find any videos or guides explaining exactly what you need to do, and I'd rather not blow money on an IDE dvd drive that I might break in the process of trying to do this with no guide.

2. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Using RawDump is a really, really shitty way of dumping discs. It is a pain, and it rarely makes an accurate dump. Sometimes the dump is close enough, but I don't consider dumps using this method to be valid. (And it's how those hacks over at Hard4Games do it)
    If it's the only option for you, I have tried this method and can walk you through the steps.

Also, you're right that it's not worth buying an NR reader to dump this disc. It's expensive and a hassle.

Do you own a Wii RVT-R? You can install the homebrew channel and use CleanRip to dump the disc quite quickly.
    I would also be willing to send you my RVT-R so you could dump the disc, or you could send me this disc and I could dump it for you.
    Send me a PM and we can work something out.

3. Hasben

Hasben Member

That would help significantly. I don't own a Wii RVT-R, frankly I didn't even know the console was even capable of reading NR gamecube discs. I'll shoot you a PM, thanks for the quick reply!

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have an rvt writer that should dump nr discs too. If you want me to do it for you.

Borman likes this.