DTL-H10000 Boot issues

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Sk8er000, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

hello everyone,
    I've read most of the DTL-T10000 related posts but I'm still not finding a solution to my issues.
    I've recently bought a PS2 Dev tooland actually I'm triyng to uderstand if everything is working right, but I think to have some issues.
    This is my actual setup:

PS2 SIDE:
    Multi AV connected with a composite cable or a scart cable (tried both)
    DIP Switches 1 = DOWN 2 = UP 3 = DOWN 4 = DOWN 5 = DOWN 6 = DOWN 7 = UP 8 = UP

If Front SW are set to DVD (or EMU) & TOOL

I get a black screen (not the no signal screen) and nothing else.
    Only the blue eject light is on and the TOOL Light (which at the beginning is orange and after it becomes green) is on no lights on the DVD led or EMU led.

If Front SW are set to DVD (or EMU) & WS
    I get a PS2 tool screen with IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and mac address.
    I've tried to connect the TOOL with an HUB to the pc and set the pc with a similar ip and same gateway and subnet mask (like I do to set the ps3 dev tool), but if I go to http://TOOLIP/english/ I get nothing on the browser.
    Only the blue eject light is on and the TOOL Light (which at the beginning is orange and after it becomes green) is on no lights on the DVD led or EMU led.

LINUX SIDE
    I connect the VGA hidden port to my lcd and after alot of quick messages, there's also a "connection error" in them, it asks the credentials which I don't know, but I've read in other posts that if I try to change the password I will lose all the data on the hdd.

Is my tool broken or it only needs a proper setup?

Thank you in andvance for the help.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You mean DTL-T10000. The H10000 is the DEX.

This is odd, but I guess that it's a good sign that at least it boots while in WS mode. WS mode was not officially implemented, so the WS/TOOL mode switch doesn't do anything useful (other than being used for swapping the flash ROM used).

What do you mean by "nothing"? Does it not connect to the TOOL (i.e. server not found) or does it display nothing (i.e. a blank page).

If you got a connection problem, did you check if you can ping your TOOL from the PC?

If you press the blue reset button, the boot information screen won't be displayed because it is only displayed at boot. So if you flipped the WS mode switch to TOOL without actually rebooting the TOOL, it wouldn't have a visible difference (although it did change).

Connection errors, to what?

I don't know what you read, but you won't lose the data on the HDD. But you must know that rightfully, nobody logs into the TOOL itself.
    By logging in, the content of the HDD is no longer in a pristine condition because you reset the password and other stuff will get changed (i.e. the last logged in information). Depending on what you believe in, you may/may not like this.

Someone uncovered the passwords before. Not sure if they work though: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/ps2-tool-questions.62897/#post-901753

Sk8er000 likes this.
  3. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

first of all thank you for your answer and your help.

You are right I've mispelled the letter, unfortunately I can't edit the title, I hope that some admin can edit it for me, I'm sorry.

I mean that the browser reports a timeout connection error, I've tried to ping the tool but with no luck. The lan port on the tool seems to send some data as the green light blinks..
    Maybe I've done something wrong but I can't figure out what.

This gives me some hope, I really hope to have a tool with some strange options to change and not a broken one :(

I was referring to the little blue led on on the top of the dvd tray not the blue led on the top near the power button. I've watched some videos on youtube and the DVD led was on, the fact that mine stays off scares me a lot.

As soon as I come back home I'll post a photo about the boot messages

EDIT
    another thing that I forgot to say, the tool has a sticker that says "CD/DVD EMULATOR INSTALLED" if this is true is it a good thing?

4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Are you certain that you set up your IP addresses correctly? That includes the subnet mask.

Sorry, but I wanted to tell you that the boot screen is only displayed upon bootup and pressing the blue reset button won't bring it back.

So it probably has the DTL-T14000 emulator board installed. Not every TOOL unit had it installed.

Sk8er000 likes this.
  5. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

I've used the same subnet mask reported on the tool's screen (I'm not at home but fortunately I've got a photo on my phone)
    http://imgur.com/a/HqZz1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the pc side I've set the ipv4 options like that:
    IP address: 10.13.20.68
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.13.20.254

6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Hub? As in, an actual network hub and not a router/switch?

If you mean a router, is it on the same network segment (i.e. IP address is 10.13.20.x)? If it's not, I don't think this would work.
    I don't know whether there was ever a way to reset the network configuration though. If you have a crossover cable, you could connect the TOOL directly to your PC and you should be able to remotely reset the network configuration to use DHCP.

Sk8er000 likes this.
  7. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

I've used a gigabit lan hub (8port) disconnected everything except the pc and the dev tool, I've used the same method to config my ps3 dev tool and it worked. If a Crossover cable could help I can make one on my own..
    for the error on the linux side it was a load fail and not a connection error, I've tried so many things last night and I've confused this thing.
    http://imgur.com/a/Lt5Qb
    [​IMG]

8. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

Got a little update, configuring the pc with the gatway showed on the tool I can connect to it:

PS2 TOOL side:
    IP: 10.13.20.69
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.13.20.254

PC side:
    IP: 10.13.20.254
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.13.20.1

I've ran the full test and it seems that everything is working (is it?), here's the report attached:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_3-8mst-fI7LTR1SXlGLUxaQXM

during the test some random images appeared on the screen connected to the av multi out. anyway when is set to TOOL I still (of course) getting a black screen and no light in the CD/DVD DRIVE led or EMULATOR led. Is there something broken? :'(

9. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

Can you take a picture of the back of the Tool?
    When in the Tool/WS switch is on Tool, anything happening on the hidden VGA port?

Sk8er000 likes this.
  10. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

here's the back of the tool:
    http://imgur.com/a/UQ9gJ

when the sw is on Tool from the VGA port I have the same behaviour that I have when is on WS mode.
    To better explain, I'm uploading a video of the linux side boot sequence with the switvh in TOOL mode, I'll insert the link as soon as it's uploaded

thank you everyone for you help

11. unclejun

I see the DVD Emulator card installed, but it's weird that the driver doesn't pick it up...
    Do you have a ps2 game to try the drive?

Sk8er000 likes this.
  12. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

Yes, I've tried to insert a retail game and the optical drive seems to begin to spin (and the led on the eject starts to blink) but nothing else happens, it's really weird because when I ran the test from the web interface from the multi av I saw some pictures from the test, like som billard balls falling

13. unclejun

The Tool doesn't autostart the game, you have to issue a command on the linux shell directly, or use a software such as SN Target Manager or Metrowerks CWComutil on a windows computer.

Sk8er000 likes this.
  14. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

from the linux side I need to know the login credentials to launch the game right?
    so is the black screen normal if I don't launch anything from the linux side or from the pc or should I see something like the debug or retail dashboard?

EDIT:
    Here'e the video of the boot:

P.S
    don't mind at the beeps it's my main UPS that is overloading due to PC, server, monitor and tool :)

15. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

Double post error, I'm sorry

16. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

You need to use DSEDB to boot a disc, but that is also assuming that your TOOL's EE kernel not an ancient one (it was a feature that was added later on). WS mode likely contains a copy of the ancient EE kernel. Judging by the tests that you made, the WS-mode ROM is the ancient one. You should really use TOOL mode instead.

Some people log into their TOOL to execute dsedb, but you're actually supposed to do it from your PC that has the development tools on it.

You should be getting the boot information screen like you do with WS mode, unless those TOOLS with the T14000 actually do something different.
    The psxss driver failing is odd. The later (psxss62) driver failing might be due to the version of Linux (perhaps it was made for v6.2, given its filename), but the earlier one is failing due to "device or resource busy".

The TOOL has no dashboard.

Sk8er000 likes this.
  17. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

Ok, I will try to better understand how to boot disks using the PC and the tool mode.
    Anyway if I'm in tool mode even if the tool doens't show up the infos on the screen like when is in ws mode I was able to open and log in the web interface, this should be a good thing (I hope).
    The psxss driver falling is the thing that scares me more, do you think that is fixable in some way?
    And for the WS side, is it possible to update the WS rom to a recent one?

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  18. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Unfortunately, it does not prove anything; the PC side works independently of the PS2 side. So if the PS2 side of the TOOL has a problem, you should still be able to log into the TOOL's admin page.

I don't know, sorry. My own TOOL doesn't have the T14000, so it doesn't have those drivers either.

Usually, we don't update the WS mode ROM because it is used as a failsafe. If both the TOOL and WS mode ROMs are corrupted, then the TOOL is bricked (and a very large one too).

Sk8er000 likes this.
  19. Sk8er000

Sk8er000 Rising Member

ok, so just to resume I should try to log on the linux side using the credential you seggested me here:
    or try to run DSEB from pc .

If I fail these 2 tasks do you think that trying to change the password on the linux side could be a good idea?

So updating the WS rom is out of question, should I be able to update the TOOL rom or there's no way to fix the tool side?
    I'm sorry for all this question, I'd really like to start studying the manuals I downloaded from this forum, but first I need to understand if I have a fixable tool or is irremediably broken.

thank you for your patience and support

20. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Preferably, you should try running some debugging tool (i.e. DSEDB) from your PC because you will still have to do that later on if you're going to do development with it.

It's up to you. You won't lose anything tangible...

We don't actually know the TOOL side's ROM version or whether it has a problem. Why don't you run those self-tests again, but this time with the TOOL switch set to TOOL? The messages also indicate the ROM version.

If they can actually be run, then the TOOL (well, most of it) is probably fine. It is possible that the fault lies in the DVD emulator hardware and that alone is causing the startup script to abort (hence why no boot information screen appears).

BTW, the ROM version isn't actually important because it's just supposed to match the SDK version that you are using. It just so happened that the initial versions didn't have a nice option for booting games straight from the CD/DVD drive.