Drop-in replacement power LED's for Game Gear / GB Pocket?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Auction_Sniper, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Auction_Sniper

Auction_Sniper Rapidly Rising Member

Recently revived a Game Gear thanks to the capacitor replacement kit, and added a backlight to a Gameboy Pocket.

Playing these in the dark, I've noticed that the red power LEDs are a bit distracting (esp on the GG). Can anyone recommend a solder-in replacement blue or green LED for both that isn't quite as bright? (on eBay if possible. I see many of them for sale there, but I'm not sure what would give the best results).

2. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Cant tell you what size LED it is but you can just use sand paper on the LED to give it a diffused effect, there by reducing its brightness.

3. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Hopefully someone chimes in with the size. So I don't have to measure mine. ;) I'm working on a charging circuit for the GG. And I want to add in a mutlicolor led, so the color is different while charging.

X5900 likes this.
  4. rso

rso °

One minute of googling points at the GG LED being 3mm. That guy even used a RGB LED similar to what you want. Looks bright as fsck though, but if you're designing your own circuitry anyways, some resistors to drop the voltage shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

citrus3000psi and GoodTofuFriday like this.
  5. dorsad

dorsad Newly Registered

I was in your same position recently. I also recapped my Game Gear, and wanted to replace the LED while I was at it.

I found the Velleman "Set of 80 Assorted LEDs" (part number K/LED1) at my local Fry's. It included a perfect green replacement for a GG: 3mm, 4.0mcd. I think it's the perfect brightness, and less glaring than the original red.

There are some on eBay, but you can get it a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TA57MM

With all the extras in the set, I'm planning to put them in my Game Boys too.