DreamShell BootLoader 0.7.X Beta Released!

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by LuizNai, Feb 19, 2019.

1. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member

Since nobody posted it here, I decided to have the honour :D.

Our friend @megavolt85 released the new version for the DreamShell Bootloader (0.7.X Beta). It has great improvements with 96% of compatibility with the Dreamcast library.

Personally I feel very happy to see the DreamShell being updated after all these years. I'd like also to thanks pcwzrd13 for the video reporting this news and for this spreadsheet showing all the compatible games:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...PUUTsRSF4M81F4ZTDimXFSk0UdjlPID9ogSoWX8#gid=0

Link to download the bootloader: http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-3525.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    zero35, pool7, Greg2600 and 8 others like this.
  2. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

Please take it ;-)

LuizNai likes this.
  3. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

This is coming along well. I would LOVE to see the day I can send away my busted GDROM that no longer reads discs and have the laser replaced with the IDE mod. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  4. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Really cool to see this progress along more. I love my GDEMU Dreamcast, but having a cheap, easy option that doesn't rely on closed source proprietary hardware devices made by single individuals is a great thing.

zero35, LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  5. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

He says CDDA audio is broken on this version. And this runs which file format? ISO, CDI, GDI?

6. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

only optimised GDI

7. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

This version run only optimize format and use DMA, then the loadings are very fast !
    For cdda, cdi and gdi you have the precedent version 0.6.1, the cdda is really improved.
    Finally the sd version 0.6.6x has a good compatibily (it can run shenmue I) of course with the limits of dreamcast serial port.

Those last few months, dreamshell has clearly update :)

Anthony817, LuizNai and megavolt85 like this.
  8. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

So we're continuing to be forced to patch all the roms? :(

9. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

:D is really big problem?
    nobody forces anyone
    loader laid out as is, use it or not is your choice

but I want to note, not one ODE will give such speed as this loader

10. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

With gdemu it's not the case ?

opt and iso format are for reluctant games many of them don't need to be change.

11. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Well, I tried patched for the serial port based SD-ISO Dreamshell and I had nothing but problems. The tools were terrible. I have both the GDEMU and USB-GDROM, and while they might take different formats (ISO or GDI/CDI) neither require patching, and both have excellent "speed." Again, I don't understand the need for patching when the GD-EMU already runs the dumped formats as is??

12. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member

Ohh man you are being pretty harsh saying this. I know GDEMU and GDUSB are amazing, but there is a huge difference in using the standard GDROM port and creating new drives for using an IDE Interface or the serial port.

DreamShell is great, it requires different steps because it does something that the Dreamcast wasn't made for, simple like that. On official DreamShell forum he was very clear saying it improves for IDE not the serial. And like he said if you are not happy with this just don't use it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  13. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

It is NIGHT and DAY difference from the serial adapter and the IDE mod! The serial port isn't meant for super high speed transfers. The Optical Drive Emulators are just that, emulating the disc drive, so it runs simple CDI and GDI images from the get-go.

Just because you didn't have a deep understanding of the limitations on the serial port that is somehow Dreamshell's fault? Those games were never going to run from the serial port fast and with CDDA support at all. So you are bound to have problems with it if you expected that man.

LuizNai likes this.
  14. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

it is not necessary to confuse SD-ISO with optimization
    SD-ISO is a reassembly of an image, this process really labor-consuming
    optimization is a removing of ECC/EDC of garbage which is not used by games
    optimization becomes one click of a mouse

optimized GDI work at GDEMU and USB-GDROM quicker

but nevertheless it more slowly than reading from HDD

because the external controller which passes ECC/EDC blocks is responsible for reading without generating interruption

zero35, LuizNai, Greg2600 and 2 others like this.
  15. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Rising Member

Somebody should compile a checksum database of DC games without the ECC so people can just rip in 2048 format to begin with instead of ripping with the ECC, verifying the dump against TOSEC, and then stripping the ECC.

16. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

Everything is much simpler, it is necessary to rewrite the GD Ripper application though in principle it checks reading errors also now, but is what to improve
    It is necessary to make the adapter for connection of GD-ROM to the PC, for those who wishes to do dump without DreamCast

17. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

That’s way more trouble than it is worth.
    If “optimized” GDI is just GDI with 2048 sectors, then “conversion” is fast and trivial.

I prepared a 400GB SD card for GDEMU and on a 5 year old MacBook optimizing the entire DC library to save space took the amount of time to make a cup of coffee and take a quick shower. Not to mention people might end up doing more stuff (rebuild or shrink) to their GDIs before things are through.

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Have you looked into GDIShrink? Might be worth it!
    There are error detection and error correction data interlaced with the game data in the GDI files.

ODE can ignore those on the fly without any impact on Dreamcast performance as it's doing so using outside the DC on it's own microcontroller/FPGA.

If Dreamshell was to do this on-the-fly, it'd use CPU time and be slower. It's much simpler to do it once and not do it on the fly with DS. It has nothing to do with the rebuilding required for the SD-Card loader.

19. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

GDIShrink is good software for rebuild image, it's economy many memory on HDD
    not all game can be rebuilded, example Metropolis Street Racer

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

My GDIShrink doesn't rebuild the GDI though, it simply carves out the part that are not needed.
    It's different than RebuildGDI.