DreamShell 4.0.0 RC4 is out

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by zero35, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MastaG

MastaG Rising Member

Would patreon be a good idea for DreamShell?
    I'd love to chip in a bit.

LuizNai likes this.
  2. megavolt85

megavolt85 Robust Member

state of mind when the program code itself comes to mind :)

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  3. MastaG

MastaG Rising Member

Yes, but if you'd make some quick cash trough patreon or some other funding mechanism.
    Wouldn't that spark some motivation?
    There's nothing wrong with earning something for the work you're putting into this.

Also there are plenty of projects like emulators (both open and closed source) which are funded by the crowd.

I'm more than happy to pay a monthly fee to keep you guys motivated.
    Even if it takes years and years to mature ;)

Personally I think DreamShell is the future.
    I'm a against these optical drive emulators (gdemu etc..) as I prefer a real OS with real homebrew possibilities.

Anyways, please consider it.
    We could spread the news about DreamShell going Patreon on all major Dreamcast news and scene sites.

I dont know how many of us are willing donate some bucks on a monthly base, but who knows it might help you guys a lot.

LuizNai, fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  4. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

DreamShell is not the future. It's been stagnant for years, and as I complained, requires too much patching and manipulation of disk images. The future are drive emulators, that's what everyone is looking for. There's this whole DIY open source drive emulation moving along, and yet, it seems to rely on DS which to me, is a horrible idea.

5. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

i will say for anyone that want to get rid of the crapy old gdrom dreamshell is a good idea. and if oportunity for an ode like gdemu or usb gdrom arrives then obviously you wiil play from the ode

6. megavolt85

megavolt85 Robust Member

GDI optimization not such and problem.
    For GDEMU I optimize images too, it accelerates loading and saves the place on the SD card.
    Loading speed with HDD is much higher than from any ODE
    USB-GDROM is made from the chip set in GD-ROM, production of this ODE is limited.

MastaG likes this.
  7. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

For me too dreamshell is the future.
    An OS you can install by yourself.

Anthony817 likes this.
  8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Resolute Member

Honestly I always really liked Dreamshell. I just like the whole desktop environment. I own a GDEMU now, and wished it was compatible with it but sadly it is not. GDMENU is great for what it does, but development has stagnated on it, and I can't even contact Neuroacid to see if he can open source the menu or if he will even add the updates he planned to. He hasn't even been on the site for over a year and am starting to fear something has happened to him. I sent an email months ago and never heard back yet.

The problem with GDEMU is that it doesn't really support write, only read, so Dreamshell is almost pointless on it other than using it for the VMU backup app or something dealing with bios updates. Not to mention I own a clone GDEMU and I can't even flash the firmware if Denuan ever makes an update for the device to support Dreamshell which it looks unlikely he will ever do at this point.

LuizNai, Arcadia, MastaG and 2 others like this.
  9. LuizNai

LuizNai Spirited Member

I like DreamShell so much, for me is is the future too. It makes the Dreamcast more than a home console, it feels like a mini-pc. If you guys open a patreon one day, I would be very pleased to donate for it.

fafadou, MastaG and Anthony817 like this.
  10. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

@megavolt85 if i can suggest some minor features:

• text editor; useful for editing .lua scripts for game icons\shortcuts
    • internet connectivity support for an IRC client etc
    • maybe ask @kazade if there is a way you can implement dreamcast-now support without HTML
    • SDISO checker; "This SDISO will NOT load! [<reason why SDISO will not load>]". this would save a lot of time debugging SDISOs for retail games
    • (internet connectivity support 2) remote internet update capability for SD card\IDE installs
    • "APP-ID" recommended ISOLDR settings .txt; place "APPID.TXT" *inside* game.iso and ISOLDR could apply recommended settings ("APPID" list could be updated via internet update capability). or alternatively, have these settings defined *inside* the ISO via ISOLDR.TXT
    • return to dreamshell when disc tray is opened (if a syscall hook for this is possible?)
    • custom game patch support; games like PSO can use this, or if a future online game requires patching, this feature can be utilized without creating a special patch CD, saving developers time and mental energy
    • ISOLDR sorting; "sort by file\folder date modified"... "sort by file\folder date created"... "sort by file\folder name"
    • internet connectivity support 3; upload\download VMU files to PC via LAN
    • backup VMU files to SD card \ IDE
    that's all i can think of for now, hopefully my ideas help development direction in some way :cool:

LuizNai likes this.
  11. megavolt85

megavolt85 Robust Member

isoloader can create (replace if alredy exist) shortcuts. used .dsc scripts

don't possible

preset alredy exists. put preset to ISO is bad idea: 1) you can't change this preset; 2) most people don't rebuild image

IGR it is partially realized

no free memory for this

alredy exist

TerdFerguson, Anthony817 and LuizNai like this.
  12. LuizNai

LuizNai Spirited Member

The VMU Backup already exist I wrote two tutorials about it:

https://titangamestudios.com/2017/12/21/how-to-copy-vmu-files-to-a-pc/

https://titangamestudios.com/2018/02/06/using-dreamcast-saves-on-the-emulator/

fafadou and Anthony817 like this.