DreamConn Wireless Dreamcast Controller

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Marmotta, Aug 17, 2015.

1. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

Thank you for your support!
    When the new version becomes available, I'll send an informative newsletter!

BloodBrother likes this.
  2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Excited to see your new developments @chrisvcpp!

I always wondered about the LightConn, how does it work if one wants to play with 2 guns at the same time? Do you have to daisy chain that VGA-thingy which goes to the sensor bar?

3. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

Thank you very much!

All of your questions, are answered into the User's manual (available for download at the LightConn page of the dreammods.net)
    Yes, the LightConn supports 2-player. As you said, you'll only have to daisy-chain the VGA-sensors & of course make proper calibration to both the guns. All instructions, description & extra info in detail is in the User's manual.

wombat likes this.
  4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Great website!

Had I more free cash I'd be throwing it at you right now. Any possibility of a DIY kit for the technically inclined? I'd mod one of my controllers myself if I could get the electronics with a guide for a more reasonable price.

To be clear, I'm not saying that your pricing isn't fair, there's a ton of time and research put in the DreamConn for sure, and I totally respect that. It's just that 185$USD is a big amount, especially since I'm Canadian. Considering the import fees, I could but a Switch at that price, or a PS4 on sale...

A DIY kit would probably give you more customers and you'd probably still make the same profits, or more, considering the time you'd save by not modding the controllers yourself.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Anthony817 and BloodBrother like this.
  5. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

I totally understand your point. The problem with DIY kits is that they need much time for preparing.
    Also, they need to be full detailed and explained - and even when they are, you are still to receive tons of messages where you need to reply to questions like : "I did everything as described, but it's not working. What went wrong?".

In general, DIY kits in a complex mod like the DreamConn & LightConn, would be much more time-consuming rather than saving time.
    It certainly is not about profit or many customers, but to deliver a Dreamcast wireless controller with the best quality possible that one will enjoy for a long time.

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

I'd still take a one shot deal DIY kit ;), or a special "assembler" edition. That said, I completely understand your position.

That said, very good job! It really seems line a great product!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

All done! The new version "DreamConn+" is now complete & available at my official site: www.dreammods.net

As promised, all requests considered & applied to the new version:

1. No more drillings - power on/off now just from the START button
    2. Full support of the VMU - saving, LCD screen, date/time
    3. Auto-sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity
    4. New, smaller dongle with the Dreamcast swirl logo

And more. Enjoy! :)

fry76 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  8. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

Do you have any black controllers available?

Ted.

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

@teddy, looks like with the new version he removed the power LED light so you might be able to swap out cases easier for a black one?

[​IMG]

10. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

I think the cable from my primary controller is going bad, (keeps resetting as I move it around) so unless this is a sign of the fuse problem, I might consider sending it in to have this done. Having to use an extension cable was always annoying so wireless would be nice.

I saw Adam's video on the previous version, where he mentioned only getting a few hours of battery life with a VMU and rumble pack. Is that still the case in the latest version? I usually keep a VMU in slot A and rumble pack in slot B. The licensed model sounds promising, but if my controller cable needs to be replaced anyway I might as well just have it converted to a wireless controller instead.

11. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

Hi.

You're welcome to get your controller wireless at the DreamMods site.

Regarding the battery : this is not the case generally - old version & new one.
    It's just that the DreamConn v4 that I sent Adam had a quite smaller battery (2-3hrs) just for review purposes & because I was out of stock.
    The normal battery that comes with the DreamConn, holds up to 10hrs. Here are some examples:

1. DreamConn without any peripheral : 9-10 hrs
    2. DreamConn with a VMU : approx. 8hrs
    3. DreamConn with VMU & Rumble 6-7hrs (depending on the game & utilization of the Rumble)

Also, all the minor glitches that Adam correctly mentioned - like the VMU screen fading at low battery, are all addressed and eliminated with the new DreamConn+

Anthony817 likes this.
  12. -=FamilyGuy=-

You should send him another review model to test, with the full battery, to clarify. If he agrees of course. This way the misunderstanding would be clarified for potential customers of yours.

PS: I'd still buy a DIY kit.

13. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

There is no misunderstanding. I had told Adam about the small battery, before he even received the controller - he just forgot about it. :)
    Also, the DreamConn is being sold for about 3 years now with battery being advertised for up to 10hrs - if this was not the case, then all buyers would complain and return them.

I will of course send a DreamConn+ for reviewing, but the aforementioned battery life of up to 10hrs is a fact.

14. psydefx

psydefx Peppy Member

me too, got 4 nib controllers. dont need another.

15. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

@chrisvcpp : To reduce cost, have you considered creating a bluetooth board that replaces the console's controller board entirely? It would connect via a ribbon cable as opposed to having to create the Dreamcast controller port adapters, plus you would have access to all four ports in one go. You could have either buttons accessible through where the controller ports would normally be, or a micro-sd slot that would act as a VMU.

16. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

@Dreamcast: This is a HUGE project, you know To make a hardware that perfectly replaces the controller port (and not only).
    I wouldn't say that it would reduce cost - more likely it would increase, because it would include the same dongle hardware (at the least) x 4.

But, anyway, I'm already way ahead by several months. Stay Tuned, at the DreamMods.net ;)

fry76 likes this.
  17. Dreamcast

@chrisvcpp: I think there may be some confusion about which board I'm talking about: It's this one: http://i37.tinypic.com/1q5tus.jpg (image from a thread here made by Bacteria). It's purely a passive board (no ICs). Its only function is to supply a connection for the fan / battery and controller ports. I'm assuming the adapters that plug into the controller port are also using PCBs, so instead of needing four separate ones, and assuming 4x of your design could fit within the footprint of the original controller board, then it would only require one single board and no controller port connectors / plastics for the adapter housing.

I think I see what you're saying about the hardware cost though. Instead of being able to sell 1x worth of hardware at a time, each sale would require 4x worth of board components.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  18. -=FamilyGuy=-

But still, if you only have a single DreamConn+, this is way overkill/expensive for you.

19. Dreamcast

@-=FamilyGuy=- I had a couple edits in there before I saw your post and came to the same conclusion as well ;).

@chrisvcpp: With your design, is it possible to sell only the dongle and supply a phone app that emulates a Dreamcast controller / rumble / VMU so friends could join in without needing another modified original controller?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  20. chrisvcpp

chrisvcpp Member

@Dreamcast: That is correct. But, anyway, I think we are already talking about my next project. I have already completed the design & prototype but don't know if I will eventually release it.

It is a 2-in-1 project:

1. A replacement of the controller board with a new Bluetooth-enabled board. This will be a perfect replacement & will be installed easily by any user. It will give 4x Buetooth ports that will be available & ready-to-go with any DreamConn+. Also, at the same time it will be backwards compatible with normal wired peripherals as well, without loosing any functionality from the original controller board.

2. A replacement of the PSU board with a new PSU board - similar to the DreamPSU. The reason for doing that is quite simple: It's not like trying to copy the DreamPSU, BUT because in conjunction with the controller board & the DreamConn+, the user will be able to remotely POWER-ON/OFF and RESET the console. Like all modern consoles (PlayStation, XBOX, Switch).

I think that I already said too much. I have created this project mostly for myself and for giving my Dreamcast a fully modern feature:
    to have all required Bluetooth hardware internally and also to be able to power it on/off from the comfort of my couch just with my DreamConn+. :)