Dreamcast Widescreen Hacks

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by S4pph4rad, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

That's because you are partially applying the hud fix...

2. backgamon

backgamon EmuscreenHD

What i need to fully apply?
    -> Using all codes are not enough for me x_x

3. d123456

d123456 Site Supporter 2015

In the hex editor you need to use "replace all" instead of "replace".
    Maybe this fixes your issues. If not sorry for the most obvious.
    -Tip for all lurkers-

4. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Tested in VS mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

megavolt85 and Anthony817 like this.
  5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

So I wonder, if it would be possible to make the placement or layout of the HUD similar to how it is done on the VS mode? So when you are driving with the behind the car view camera, or in any other versions even like cockpit, the tachometer and other elements aren't superimposed over the car and are off to the sides of the screen? Would it even be possible to use the VS mode version of the HUD in singleplayer?

6. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

That's something I was thinking about too because right now the hud overlapping the car looks horrendous.

Anthony817 likes this.
  7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, if it could use those HUD elements, placed at each corner so as spaced out appropriately, I think you could make the ultimate version of this game on Dreamcast for sure! Would be cool if you made both cockpit camera and chase camera discs like with the last release you did. I tried that version on NullDC and it ran and looked great right out of the box.

8. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

The sega retro wiki only has the codebreaker codes. Is there a database where you guys are adding the hex codes?

d123456 likes this.
  9. d123456

Excellent question. I've been searching and wondering about this too. All those valuable values deserve to be listed somewhere or perhaps kept in an archive added to a signature which is also common.

10. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

SEGA SEGAKATANA SEGA ENTERPRISESB76C GD-ROM1/1 JUE 2799A10 MK-51152 V1.00020010801 WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K2

Code:
    FIND
    0000A043 0000A0C3
    REPLACE
    00007043 0000A0C3
    Code:
    FIND
    0000A043 0000A0C3
    REPLACE
    00003443 0000A0C3
    This game looks legit good!, characters even have selfshadows

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

By the way WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K2 is the first game I've notice that runs with what it seems native 24bit color depht.

Most Dreamcast games suffer from some ugly dithering but this one looks cristal clear on a real Dreamcast, no dither at all.

I remember someone posted in this same thread some information about the Dreamcast's display modes but I can't find it

AFAIK the Dreamcast renders natively in 24 bit color depth but it then takes that image and reduce the color to 16 bits, introducing dither not as heavy as a native 16 bit color image but quite noticeable,

It would ne nice to patch games to display the native 24 bit color buffer instead of the dithered one.

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

So I wonder why they reduced it to 16 in the first place? Was it supposed to help with performance or something? I am guessing it wouldn't if it is already having to render the stuff natively before processing it down.

d123456 likes this.
  13. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

The Dreamcast only had 8MB of video ram. 24-bit color eats up 50% more space than 16-bit. The frame buffer alone would eat up almost a megabyte without double buffering, so they had to save room somehow.

d123456 and Anthony817 like this.
  14. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

On the Dreamcast SDK it says that performance and memory hit between 16bit and 24 bit colour is almost negligible, affair. Yet most games use this color mode.

Plus the ps2 has half the memory video yet many games uses higher color depth.

For feference Waky racers and ecco the dolphin runs at 16bits of colors on both ps2 and Dreamcast but the dither is way noticeable on the ps2 version, probably just because the original framebuffer is actually 24bits on Dreamcast as opposed to the native 16 bits of the ps2 versions.

Would be nice to try.

d123456 and Anthony817 like this.
  15. WingMantis

WingMantis Active Member

So you are saying Dreamcast games could get even better looking...That would be amazing. I'm sure there are plenty of games that don't actually use all of the video ram, especially earlier titles.

There are other ways to make the games look a bit better too. Look at the baseline in the 2nd and 3rd set of screenshots you posted.

It looks like white road dots more than a solid line. If the camera was lifted and angled down some it might help reduce the jaggies from extreme angles.

The pinstripes look pretty bad too. And little things like the light-color ring around the umpire's collar. With a little texture editing more imperfections could be removed. It wouldn't be accurate but plain white jerseys would look better and maybe the textures would compress better since there is less variation.

Little things like that may make 24 bit frame buffer possible on games that are pushing the limit of the VRAM.

And it's too bad 21:9 didn't catch on right away. I think Philips and another company made some 52" 21:9 TVs 8-10 years ago but the format didn't fly. Right now the largest ultrawide monitor is 38" and costs $800-$1000

d123456 likes this.
  16. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

I don't know if it is possible, but i'd take 24bit color depth over widescreen anytime, games looks way better without dithering.

Back then due the fosfor nature of crts it wasnt noticeable, but on hdtvs is very annoying.

Ultrawidescreen monitor are becoming common to pc entusiastic gamers I myself am considering buyin one.

Sorry wrtiting from my cell.

17. WingMantis

WingMantis Active Member

Yeah, the 34" 21:9 monitors aren't too bad price wise.

There was a technology called SED that was being worked on back when flatscreen TVs were becoming a thing. Think it was Toshiba. Basically flatscreen CRT, where every triad had its own micro electron gun instead of the traditional gun that sweeps the entire screen.

Unfortunately it got dropped. If they could have emulated the scan rate with SED TVs, light guns might have still worked.

18. Ronan Faria

Ronan Faria Newly Registered

Hello! I I love so mutch yours job.
    I'm playing Dreamcast a lot again before all these wide codes
    I wold like some on, please
    Vigilantes 8 Second Offense (Ntsc-U)
    Can you help-me ? Thanks!

19. d123456

For Cannon Spike I was not able to get 16:9. It's just 4:3.
    I used some UK iso. Only one occurence found.
    SEGA SEGAKATANA SEGA ENTERPRISES08D0 GD-ROM1/1 JUE 07BBA10 T1215N V1.00120000710 1ST_READ.BIN SEGA LC-T-12 CANNON SPIKE
    What does this mean? I googled every bit, but nothing comes up. Did anyone succesfully get this working in 16:9 and what version did you use?

20. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Esppiral do you mind porting the Rez PAL code to Rez RDC release? It's the only version that I could find online and it hangs with the code.
    I tried converting the Rez PAL gdi to cdi without luck so far, spent about 5 discs trying that, even using FamilyGuy's toolbox.