Dreamcast Widescreen Hacks

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by S4pph4rad, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Baseball9x

Baseball9x Member

Welcome back.
    Would you be able to widescreen patch Mars Matrix (NTSC - U or PAL).

Thanks!

2. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Member

Oh, ok. I can respect your reasons. I just wanted to load in my games without having to swap discs with a GS/AR/CB disc. I'll stick to swapping disc, thanks again for the codes you already provided.

3. Esppiral

Esppiral Peppy Member

Shenmue Ultrawidescreen (21:1) running on a real Dreamcast,

Video was captured from My Dreamcast conected to a VGA2HDMI box, then conected to my Xbox One streaming to windows I then recorded using Bandicam and finally recompressed to keep the 21:9 aspect ratio since the source video was 16:9 on top of that the youtube compression.... lol

So the quality isn't the best possible actually it introduced quite a lot of stuttering and artifacts not present during direct gameplay, but you get the Idea, it is quite impressive seeing it running on the real thing.

In the whole 40 minutes gameplay there are only 2 times when the games lags, mostly in the intro.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  4. demilich

demilich Active Member

@Esppiral
    Just to verify, you are not providing Codebreaker codes anymore?

Anthony817, fafadou and megavolt85 like this.
  5. BimboBoop

BimboBoop Rising Member

Esto está increíble Esppiral, es una pena que no puedo probar estos últimos códigos con mis juegos originales (This is awesome, Is a shame I cant try these last codes with my original games )

6. Esppiral

Esppiral Peppy Member

I am not done with codebraker codes, most of the stuff I am posting as patches has been released as cb or ar codes.

7. demilich

demilich Active Member

Any chance I missed Codebreaker codes for these games? I've searched online and on the latest code list in this thread but I don't see either listed. Although the US versions are listed, I have the physical games for these in Japanese.
    Power Stone JP
    Gun Spike JP

8. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

i was going to ask the same thing

is anyone here making a spreadsheet, or organizing all these codes? it'd go a long way to even create a CB \ AR \ GS VMU file with all the games, but that would take weeks\months

quote reply because posts get buried in this thread easily

fafadou likes this.
  9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Intrepid Member

Yeah, I believe somebody had a repository on Github or something with all the codes. I don't have the link unfortunately offhand but yeah there is a place that had most codes. Not sure if it was updated recently however.

10. WingMantis

WingMantis Member

Hi. When you first started working on cameras for F355, you removed the mirror from the cockpit view and mentioned "High Poly Count". Was there an inbuilt mode for this that was possible by removing the mirror?

I was thinking a 21:9 code for cockpit camera with a working mirror would be pretty nice. Either the normal central mirror, or a reshaped mirror graphic overlaid on one of the side view mirrors.

I played around with modding mirror shape on Sports Car GT for pc back in the day. That was pretty easy though since everything was in folders right there in the install folder. I could try to learn how to extract and inject textures, or maybe someone who already does can step in

Anthony817 likes this.
  11. WingMantis

WingMantis Member

I think @Roareye was keeping a pdf of codes as well.

Anthony817 likes this.
  12. d123456

d123456 Site Supporter 2015

Is there a widescreen hex edit for F355? The DC version looks much better then the PS2 version, but just lacked a 16:9 mode when using VGA.

13. BimboBoop

BimboBoop Rising Member

Hi Esppiral. I noticed you posted this Codebreaker code for Ikaruga:
    IKARUGA (HORIZONTAL GAMEPLAY ONLY)
    2C0CFA00---3F400000
    Do you think you can create a Code Breaker code for Vertical gameplay? I won a couple of those twisting stands - screens and I would love to play the game to play it with VGA.

14. WingMantis

WingMantis Member

The Horizontal gameplay code is the code for playing vertically. Normally Ikaruga has huge pillar boxes on the left and right and the HUD is outside the play field.

Edit: Nevermind lol @Espirral, some TVs and Monitors swivel clockwise and some counter-clockwise. So Ikaruga needs another code for a reverse orientation of the original code.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  15. d123456

d123456 Site Supporter 2015

No,
    01 Rotate your monitor vertically
    02 take out the monitor from the stand
    03 rotate your monitor 90" to the normal horizontal position and put the monitor back into the stand.
    Enjoy! now you can always rotate your monitor to the correct TATE postion.
    Your monitor will now swivel counter-clockwise into the vertical position!

16. WingMantis

WingMantis Member

Lol it's that simple? I've never had one myself, only seen some people complaining about how their's rotates the wrong way for whatever game or software they wanted to use. Ha

17. BimboBoop

BimboBoop Rising Member

Thanks man, But the reason I asked this is because the code doesnt seem to be working. I tought it was just cause I was choosing the Full Screen Vertical camera , and not the Full Screen Horizontal camera; but now I test it on both modes with the same results.
    With or whitout the code the background and the spaceships looked the same, and I mean Stretched. I am testing the codes In all my monitors at the same time, a 4:3 VGA a 16:9 VGA to HDMI and a VGA 16:9 Vertical screen. I even take some pictures to show you properly what I am meaning here, but for some reason when I am uploading them to Tinypic they always get uploaded with the top down.
    AT the end the TV is stretching the image to 16:9 in both cases, and the code is not working anamorphic. ( as an example The force Field of the spaceships are always Oval and not Circular , like they looked when they properly displayed on a 4:3 screen whitout any codes)

So Please Esppiral, would you mind to review the code and try to fix it?
    As you can see the code is Correct
    [​IMG]

This is Ikaruga With the Widescreen Code at proper 4:3 and Stretched to 16:9 by the TV. The Spaceship forcefields are circles as they should be nativaly, ence they are not being squashed by a widescreen code. Check how the circle forcefields became oval at 16:9 . Also you can check the same is happening with a vertical Screen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now Check Whats is happening Whitout The code. Exactly the same results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally to show what I mean, this is a Similar game: Zero Gunner 2, using the widescreen codes. Note How in 4:3 mode the propeller circle and Helicopter looked Squashed by the code. Meanwhile the in the 16:9 mode they looked symmetric
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In these two pics, You will Check how the game looks wihout the code. Exactly like the Ikaruga Pictures: The 4:3 Mode looks Symmetric, meanwhile the 16:9 mode is Stretched by the TV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  18. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Not sure that was correct the cars ended up very boxy

I redone it with
    Find
    ABAAAA3F
    Replace
    398EE33F

The code from Tennis 2K2

19. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Is there a code in here somewhere for MDK 2?

#PROTIP Use [ spoiler ] input text & media here [ / spoiler ] (without the blankspaces) tags around such large amounts of text / media. That way your post won't take up all of the thread. Here's an example
    here's how the spoiler feature works

20. WingMantis

WingMantis Member

I think the "2C" leader on the address for emulators? Try changing 2C to "02" on your code