Dreamcast Widescreen Hacks

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by S4pph4rad, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Radaron

Radaron Member

if it's for Demul then - 2C9C2AD8 43700000
    For something called House of the Dead 2(original) - 2C9C2A98 43700000
    For House of the Dead 2(prototype) - 2C9AFDE8 43700000

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. willjay

willjay Member

Hey man! I am Willjay and i am new on this forum.
    I have a little request for you.
    Speed Devils and Speed Devils Online Racer.
    This is a Great Racer Game made by Ubisoft.

Thanks in advance

Anthony817 likes this.
  3. willjay

willjay Member

Hey everyone! My name is William and i am new on this forum.

I really appreciate are you doing here.
    But I would like to ask your help.

I'm using these codes in Widescreen on Demul with the help of CheatEngine more is too much work I have to writing the addresses and values every time I'll play.

My intention is to compile these codes in a Trainer for anyone who does not have much knowledge with CheatEngine can play your game in Widescreen with just the push of a button or a combination of keys on the keyboard.

What I'm trying to do is something like the "Shenmue Auto Fixer" of the guys from "Shenmuedojo"

See this link:
    http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49568

More I want to create one for Trainer each game already possessed Widescreen code here on the site.

However after two days searching i cannot figure out how to build a trainer for this emulator. Most tutorials I've seen work for games but not for the emulator.

The most closest I could to do was to create a Cheat Engine Table (.CT) with the value of widescreen on a list dropdown.

Here is an example with the game Star Wars Racer:

Star Wars Racer Wide.CT
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    <CheatTable CheatEngineTableVersion="19">
    <CheatEntries>
    <CheatEntry>
    <ID>0</ID>
    <Description>"Star Wars Racer"</Description>
    <DropDownList DescriptionOnly="1" DisplayValueAsItem="1">3F800000:Letterbox
    3F400000:Widescreen
    </DropDownList>
    <LastState Value="3F400000" Activated="1" RealAddress="2C17AE20"/>
    <ShowAsHex>1</ShowAsHex>
    <Color>80000008</Color>
    <VariableType>4 Bytes</VariableType>
    <Address>2C17AE20</Address>
    </CheatEntry>
    </CheatEntries>
    <UserdefinedSymbols/>
    </CheatTable>
    ----------------------------------------------------------

When i Double-click on this file "Star Wars Racer Wide.CT"
    The CheatEngine open with the loaded address and the default value of the game (3F800000) will be shown as "Letterbox" by double clicking it will show the Widescreen option and selecting it and clicking OK the game switches to widescreen.

This already saves a lot of work.
    More what I really wanted is to turn this Table into a Trainer.

Did anyone could tell me how i can compile this code in a trainer?

I would greatly appreciate it.

4. willjay

willjay Member

Hello everyone, it's me again
    I found a way to turn the Widescreen Codes in a Trainer but only using Hot Keys like F9, F10 and F11.

F9 = 4.3
    F10 = 16.9
    F11 = 21.9

See this:

[​IMG]

But the buttons does not work.
    Anyone have any idea how I can program these buttons so that when they are clicked they have the same effect as the Hot Keys?

Here is the link to the trainer for those who want to test.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ags3mjs07f82e02/Star+Wars+Racer+WIDE+FIX.EXE

This trainer is for the US version of the Star Wars Racer.
    The emulador used is:
    Demul 07a_221215

Esppiral and Anthony817 like this.
  5. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

thats great stuff any idea how to convert the codes to hex in order to hexedit the 1st_read.bin to have permantly widescreen without need any action replay-gameshark?

6. fluffymadness

fluffymadness Active Member

Yeah that would be nice. I wonder how codebreaker does its job. Does anyone have some input on this?
    I assume it loads some routine in the memory that just injects the code when the game is started, because if it does the patching before it would get overwritten by the game I guess !?

Basically writing something in SH4 assembly that gets started before the game and then starting the game afterwards ?

Edit: Found a Codebreaker Hacking guide that explains how codebreaker codes influence various areas in the ram, and how to make your own
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/916412-dreamcast/faqs/11357

Maybe thats also somehow helpful (1ST_READ.BIN dissassembly)
    http://gamehacking.org/library/148

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  7. willjay

willjay Member

Hey Man!

Can you make a tutorial teaching how to find the codes for rescaling the games horizontally?
    I would like to create some widescreen codes for games Speed Devils, Vanishing Point, Tokyo Xtreme Racer and others.
    I know this quote was long time ago, but after reading 27 pages of this topic, I realized it was you what else specializes in creating codes Widescreen.
    I also believe that you are the most appropriate to ask for this.
    Many games still need codes Widescreen.
    I would be very grateful

8. Esppiral

Esppiral Enthusiastic Member

Ok, I'll try to explain how I do find the correct values/addreses for widescreen.

First of all, bear in mind that I am not that good in english so misspells and so on will plague this post. lol

Also it was S4pph4rad who originally found the way to make WS codes. I lack any knowledge on programming or assembly, everything has been done with just passion ^^'

So let's get started.
    You'll need.

1.-Demul (any version) I recommend Demul v.0.5.7 (savestates works best in this version, and you will need savestates, believe me)
    2.-Cheat engine. 6.5.1
    3.-The game you want to hack (obviously), .cdi, .gdi or burned CD.
    Once you have everything in place.

Step by setp
    1.-Start Demul
    2.-Boot your game
    Note.-Demul is prone to crash A LOT while you are looking for the correct address containing the Widescreen value, so I recommend you to make a savestate as soon as a 3D scene appears on screen, before doing anything else.

Next step, open Cheat Engine.
    1.-Open Procces list.
    2.-Attatch it to Demul.
    3.-Open Procces.

[​IMG]

Looking for the correct address-Value
    1.-Set Scan Range
    START 2C000000
    STOP 7FFFFFFF

2.-SCAN TYPE- EXACT VALUE
    VALUE TYPE 4 BYTES.

3.-VALUE 43A00000 (more on this later)**

4.- First Scan.

[​IMG]

From the results list copy all selected items to the address list.

Now you can select and change those values to 43700000 here is where the savestates will come in handy, if things are changing on screen but none is the aspect ratio, reload your savegame and try different addresses.
    I recommend you to change the values in little groups, it will help to isolate the correct address easily and you may find the address responsible of the widescreen.
    [​IMG]

**Depending on the game the correct value may vary.
    Most common values to look for are.
    In 4 bytes hex
    Code:
    43A00000
    3F800000
    3FAAAAAA
    43F00000
    To know what is the Widescreen equivalent of those values you need to multilpy them by 0.75 so in the case of 44200000 Its decimal representacion is 640 so we multilply it by 0.75 resulting in 480, the hex equivalent for 480 is 43F00000, so that is the value we need in order to make the game widescreen.

So in the case of Dead or Alive limited edition
    Original
    Code:
    2C2FBBD0
    43A00000
    Widescreen
    Code:
    2C2FBBD0
    To convert it to a CB or AR compatible code to use on real console you just need to change the first 2C ot 02

Like this.

To use on demul
    Code:
    2C2FBBD0
    To use on Dreamcast (code Breaker-Action Replay)
    Code:
    022FBBD0
    Note.
    If any of those values find nothing, you can start searching float values, for instance anything from 0,6 to 2.0 can lead to find were the fov value is stored.

In this case, you may end dealing with thousand of addresses to look into, this method helped me finding the addresses for some games (Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider. etc)

Things can be a little bit ( a lot actually) more complicated, you may find that some games don't have and horizontal value modifier, but instead you will find a vertical and zoom modifiers, changing both you can achieve widescreen too.

Also there are games where the value is stored dinamically on different addresses , or can't be changed at all.

If you have any question, please ask, if you find a zoom or vertical modifiers keep looking or ask here for help, because it may lead to a WS hacks too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    fafadou, Chagosan, EmeraldX and 6 others like this.
  9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey guys, I wanted to request if anybody can do Soldier of Fortune widescreen please?

10. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

Thanks for writing up a step-by-step tutorial. I'll link to your post on the first page.

I should mention that it wasn't really something I found either. I wanted to see it done for DC games and originally wanted to do it the hard way (disassembling the games) but I decided to see how they were made on other platforms. That's when I found a tutorial for PS2 or Gamecube or something, where they just have you follow the same brute-force approach done here. The only real difference is the initial value you search for on DC. It's so much faster and easier to find them this way than it is to disassemble the games. So in the end, I just did what everyone else does, and when we started I wasn't even searching for the correct values. I stumbled upon a camera zoom value by searching for 1.0, and started changing values nearby until I found the screen width because usually all of the camera stuff is in the same area of memory.

Also thanks for making many more codes via this process, I wanted to explore direct patching instead but I haven't gotten back around to doing Dreamcast stuff again yet.

Esppiral likes this.
  11. SangHyo

SangHyo Newly Registered

It works!! Thanks a lot!! Awesome man!!

and can I ask one more request?

Naomi game Project Justice (rome name = pjustic)

12. willjay

willjay Member

Man! You are awesome.
    Thank you so much for this.

However I discovered that I am good only in programming in VB.net and I am a dumb to find codes in the Cheat Engine.
    But i am sure this tutorial will be useful for many.

Can you help me find a Widescreen code to Speed Devils and Vanishing Point.

To prove I'm not just a beggar asking for codes, I'm making a contribution.
    I'm working on a TRAINER in VB.net to change the aspect ratio on emulators and works with the Xbox 360 controller to choose the game screen size from 4: 3, 16: 9 and 21: 9.
    This will save a lot of work for those who play on the emulator and has no knowledge of CheatEngine
    Soon I post here, if it is interesting to someone

Anthony817, Esppiral and wombat like this.
  13. Esppiral

I tried to find the widescreen codes for Speed Devils and Vanishing Point, but I haven't succed.
    These are others I coudn't find the codes for.
    Revolt
    Ecco The Dolphin
    Rez
    Ferrari 355 (VGA)

Edit. lol
    Ferrarri 355 Widescreen VGA hack.

F355 Challenge v1.003 (2000)(Sega)(NTSC)(JP)
    Code:
    023235D4

F355 Challenge - Passione Rossa V1.001 (2000)(Acclaim)(PAL)
    Code:
    022C6B7C

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  14. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

Wonderful...16/9 with F355 magnifique (in french....), one question please, it's true 16/9 with right tachymeter, font etc....or only 3D parts of games? I say that because in composite/êritel add true 16/9.

15. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

Is there any hidden camera mode in f355 to move the camera outside the car? Ps2 version has outside view...

16. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I highly doubt it, seeing that taking this view out of the game opens up more resources to render the rest of the game. That being said, it interesting to look into this.

17. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

Same thing I was thinking about. The inside only car camera is made to decrease polygon count from an outside view one, or else am2 would do that because car model in ps2 version looks the same as the other cars racing against you. But it's a thing came to my mind reading this thread, because I saw you can interact with in games camera using those mods ,and f355 is a game I never played fully due to the inside camera

18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Wow, you know what? I think an outside car view camera would be great with that game. I played the PS2 version a few years back and wondered why the heck we never got it in the DC version. I would love to see it added to the DC version if possible.

19. Esppiral

I've tried to freeze the camera at the beginning of a race. ^^'

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No luck so far.

But I recently discovered that there is a rear camera in the game, you can change it /rear, top, side etc) zoom it etc, but it is only accessible in driving data mode.

Maybe someone can activate this camera during normal gameplay, since it is already in the game, .

[​IMG]

megavolt85 and Anthony817 like this.
  20. Esppiral

Oh dear, and I have to go to work now T_T

Standard cockpit view + rearview mirror.

[​IMG]

High poly without. rearview mirror.
    [​IMG]

Different camera angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]