Dreamcast Widescreen Hacks

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by S4pph4rad, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

There is an older version of demul with a debugger but I get dizzy just looking at it is there any other alternative?

2. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

Unfortunately there's no recent DC emu with debugger...

About patched GDI files it'd be great, like I said some weeks ago, but in my side I don't have much time to deal with this alone. I think we should make some kind of 'collaborative project'. We need to recreate a kind of 'trainer engine' like these from scene groups back in the days :)

Esppiral and Gromber like this.
  3. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Not a widescreen hack but....

Rez v1.003 (2001)(Sega)(PAL)(M6) 60 FPS HACK
    2C28E080---00000001

Works like a charm on emulators, not so good on actual hardware...

4. Linkr2

Linkr2 Member

Sorry because this is a bit of off-topic, but after reading the whole thread I realized that I have absolutely no idea of how to start with this XD

I'm looking for some method to execute dreamcast games in low resolution 320x240, just as games like Last Blade or Street Fighter Third Strike work natively (in Street Fighter you can activate the "240p" mode by pressing Start+L before the Capcom Logo)

But I'm very lost in this kind of affair, maybe this widescreen hacks you are performing could bring us to execute games in 320x240? It's all about aspect ratio or can we change resolution?

This would be really good for games as Garou Mark of the Wolves which natively runs at 480i in Dreamcast, in order to make them look as the original game from NeoGeo at "240p" in a CRT Screen (just like The Last Blade 2 does natively in Dreamcast).

I was looking at HEX modifications like the ones to force VGA in order to force the 320x240 mode, but my knowledge is very vey low.

Sorry about my english :_) I opened a thread here, but I'm completely lost: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/┬┐force-240p-mode-on-dreamcast-games.59058/

5. Gromber

Gromber Spirited Member

only changes fov on the games.

6. Shady

Shady Member

Could someone make a widescreen code for the US version of Skies of Arcadia? The European version doesn't support VGA. Also I'd like to report that the code to crop the image of THPS2 crashes the game on real hardware. Another issue I found in real hardware was with the game MVSC2, the widescreen code works but characters have some glitches. Thanks for the work everybody.

Redd likes this.
  7. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Sonic Adventure v1.003 (1999)(Sega)(PAL)(M5) (60 FPS HACK)
    2C754DFC 00000001
    2C754E04 00000001

New thread anyone? :p

8. Linkr2

Linkr2 Member

Amazing job :eek: How do you make to find which HEX code do you have to change? I mean, for example, I would like to find which part of the code of a game works when activating the 240p mode.

Sorry but I'm really noob about that and I'm trying to learn a little bit :D

9. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

If you look a bit further back in the thread I think someone posted instructions on how to find the widescreen codes.

10. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

US Sonic Adventure 1.0 in Codebreaker format is
    01754EBC 00000001
    01754EC4 00000001
    The hardware only keeps up about 25% of the time, otherwise there's slowdown.

There are a few 60fps codes already, but they're scattered around the internet. The US and Japanese versions of Sonic Adventure were covered already for sure, someone posted the addresses for a different version and I ported it to US 1.0 Codebreaker to try on hardware back in August. Might be nice to have a wiki page for them, but they're only going to be useful for emulator users.

Esppiral and SILENT_Pavel like this.
  11. VIRGIN KLM

VIRGIN KLM Active Member

If I'm not wrong it's the same code used on both regions.
    Also changing the value to 3E800000 results into Eyefinity.

12. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

What about overclocked hardware??? I would love a wiki/archive.

13. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Really? I tested the game on my pal console and it ran pretty well around 70% of the time, station square and mystic ruins barely had slowdowns, emeral coast was ok-ish most of the time, windy valley was a snapshot fest though XD

Anyway as you say this is usefull for emulators or if someone is curious about how capable the Dreamcast is capable of.

About the subject, I've found addresses to enable 60 fps for the following games.

Jet set radio
    Sega GT.
    Space channnel 5
    Shenmue
    Resident Evil code Veronica
    Among others

Now the bad news... those games run at 60 fps at twice the speed, for sonic adventure I've found the value to slow down the game logic and rez seems to keep the game speed automatically accordingly to the framerate, So we should look for the missing addresin those games if it even exists...

Anyway seeing Shenmue running in widescreen at 60fps on my Dreamcast (when it can sustain such framerate) has been glorious.

Anthony817 and americandad like this.
  14. Linkr2

Linkr2 Member

Thanks :) but it's not that clear, I read that some people are using Demul 0.49 which has a debugger, and some other people uses something called "Cheat Engine 6.4" so I'm a bit lost. I tried to run Demul 0.49 with debugger from the link in this thread but it's no running here, still trying. Anyway, still I don't know how to search for those widescreen codes.

A bit of a tutorial for dummies will be good, at least some steps to follow from 0.

Thanks in advance : )

15. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Damn, I need to see this!! :D

Anthony817 and Esppiral like this.
  16. Shady

Shady Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried the widescreen code for the European version of Skies of Arcadia but sadly it didn't work on the US version.
    BTW I also tried your widescreen code for Sonic Adventure 2 (US) on real hardware and I needed a master code for it to work. Can someone else confirm this? The master code is: 0F0C0D76 00000008.
    I noticed that the Shenmue games need master codes for cheat codes but the widescreen codes worked fine without a master code. Why could this be?

17. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Yep Sonic adventure 2 pal widrescreen patch don't work on actual hardware either, it seems it needs a master code.

In other news my Pc has definitely died so.... T-T

18. VIRGIN KLM

VIRGIN KLM Active Member

I think I used either that or DBD30740 9C684CF8. I tried it only once, after that point I stoped testing them on real hardware, I'm super lazy :p

19. Shady

Shady Member

The master code for code breaker is the same for the US, JP and EU version, so try the EU widescreen code with the master code I posted, it might work.

Esppiral likes this.
  20. Esppiral

Esppiral Gutsy Member

Shenmue pal 60 fps.
    0220df3c

Shenmue 2 pal 60 fps.

Remember it will run at twice the speed, let's see if someone can make it run at 1x speed.

megavolt85, Anthony817 and Giorgio like this.