Dreamcast TEST GD-ROM "GD Drive repear program ver 0.1

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Laurent, Nov 21, 2017.

1. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

returning to topic, it is quite possible this GD Repair software may have totally different work modes if special "repair/service" controller device connected.
    same was seen in "DC checker for MP" disks and in Katana Dev.Box checker bios rom, which uses shared code base, and similar/same in many parts.
    I think this one "GD Repair" is similar, and based on same code, but by default run disk check functions.

2. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

AFAIK what the Holly checks is a checksum, not a signature (bios is not signed, there is no encryption)? But I agree that is easier for SEGA to update the firmware/microcode in the Holly chip than designing a new version.

BTW I remember that someone found leftovers of the Babel Tower demo in the checker GD-R, right?

3. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

I think MetalliC is right that these are all the same codebase, but different scripts. SDPS-4 and SDPS-5 have the same build date (02/02/2000) and the same version number (2.16M and 2.16R) but with a different suffix behind it, suggesting that it's the same software but with a different run setting.

So now my question is, where does this GD drive repair program fit in with the series of SDPS numbers for the Check-GD set of discs? Below is the info I have so far on what exists. I only have up to SDPS-7 which I assume is the last disc due to its very late date.

Is this SDPS-2 or SDPS-6? Or is it completely different from these discs? The 1998 copyright date makes me think it predates the SDPS-1 Loop Checker disc, so it might not be part of this set?

Loop Checker

SEGA CS
    01/06/2000
    SDPS-1

???
    ???
    ???
    ??/??/????
    SDPS-2

DC checker for REPAIR
    2.15R
    CS.R&D
    01/12/2000
    SDPS-3

DC checker for MP
    2.16M
    CS
    02/02/2000
    SDPS-4

DC checker for REPAIR
    2.16R
    CS
    02/02/2000
    SDPS-5

???
    ???
    ???
    ??/??/????
    SDPS-6

Himozuke Family
    CS
    07/14/2000
    SDPS-7

4. darcagn

I got the discs in the mail today and dumped them. This is the README.TXT document on the disc. It's translated from Japanese using Google Translate.

Also on the disc are five folders: IP, HI_DA, SGL_DA, HI_DENST, SGL_DENST.

IP contains IP.BIN and IP0000.BIN files for the GD drive repair program.
    The HI_DA and SGL_DA contain DA files that represent the audio tracks on the usual DC Checker discs.
    The SGL_DENST and HI_DENST contain the low and high density files from the usual DC Checker discs.

5. darcagn

So unfortunately I haven't had much time lately (this is what happens when you get a girlfriend -- be careful guys), so I haven't gotten around to making CDI selfboot copies...

But, I don't want to hold out any longer, so here are the GDI dumps for you all to play with and enjoy.

Disc Information:
    Title: GD Drive Repair Program Ver 0.1 T.Ogawa
    Media ID: SEGA
    Media Config: GD-ROM1/1
    Regions: JUE
    Peripheral String: 079901
    Product Number: HKT-999999
    Version: V0.720
    Release Date: 19981201
    Download: https://mega.nz/#!OslhWILa!fX3zSZgexmueeJdMnoPq4D_3detUqTo3x7Bhom2BNn0

Disc Information:
    Title: DC CHECKER Ver.2.05 for Repair 1999/10/27
    Media ID: SEGA
    Media Config: GD-ROM1/1
    Regions: JUE
    Peripheral String: 079901
    Product Number: DC CHECKER
    Version: V2.050
    Release Date: 19991027
    Download: https://mega.nz/#!ixsWkY4R!uTgYWzT_QAbCsLh8JoMOAtZGOdoaxp-iJfCfneOWi5k

Notes:
    - the DC Checker disc is the same type of disc as the previously released checker discs floating around, however it has an earlier build date than all of them as far as I know.
    - the GD Drive Repair program has folders in its high density portion that contain another different build of the DC Checker, but I have not yet played with those files.

6. darcagn

Some more info for those who are interested in this DC CHECKER Ver.2.05 for Repair GD-ROM.

Laurent will be scanning the full documentation for it soon, but in the mean time here are some hints about this GD-ROM:
    - WARNING: It will erase your Dreamcast's flash setting/PSO serial, so don't run it if that's gonna be a problem
    - WARNING times a million: Running this on a Dreamcast with the +12V wire soldered for the region changer's write enable will result in all region coding being erased from your console, it will be bricked with a black swirl

There are multiple modes that the disc can be run in depending on what buttons you hold down at the IP.BIN screen:
    - Holding nothing: Full checker
    - Holding A + B: Full checker but without modem checks, req. for Asian modemless consoles to pass
    - Holding X + Down on D-Pad: MP Checker mode, skips critical tests but runs the other tests
    - Holding X + Right on D-Pad: Single test mode, disables test script and allows you to scroll through the individual tests and pick them at will
    - Holding Y + Up on D-Pad: CLX Signature check. which renders a scene and compares calculated graphics data against reference data
    - Holding Y + Down on D-Pad: Sonic Cube mode, which allows you to run several Holly samples, basically the same ones that are run during the scripted test modes, but you can control them with controller.

Sonic Cube Holly Samples:
    - Non-Tex Cube
    - Tex Cube
    - Punch-Thru Cube (X+Up/Down increases/decreases number of cubes, Y+Up/Down zooms in and out, start pauses/resumes motion)
    - Vertex Test (B toggles mirror map and transparency, d-pad moves screen)
    - Torus test (A changes number of doughnuts, Y+Up/Down zooms in/out, start pauses/resumes motion)

These are the results running with BBA attached and with only 1 pad plugged into port A:

DC_Checker_Running.jpg

If I replace the BBA with the modem and plug in 4 controllers (keyboards did not work), everything passes but SH4.

SH4 fails the SCIF test.
    I knew the SCIF test was related to the serial cable that comes with this disc, but I don't have it and I didn't know what it did.
    I've seen it on Adam Koralik's video about the Check-GD, but like all of his videos about dev hardware, he's completely fucking clueless as to how any of it works, and he even says the purpose of the cable is to flash the console's BIOS...

Thanks to Laurent, who gave me pictures from three of the pages of the documentation, I saw they called it a "communications loopback jig." So I realized it is just a loopback test.

Not 15 minutes later the mailman dropped off 2 new old stock Dreamcast/NeoGeo Pocket Color link cables. What great timing, Mr. Mailman. A week ago I bought them, one to keep for my DC collection and one to steal the serial cable end from. My purpose for this was to make a "serial box" in a project box, sort of like the VGA box, with a USB port, SD card slot, and a DB9 serial port, controlled by a switch. I have no fucking patience to hack up mobo slots or HDMI cables to make any of my own, I wanted something more professional looking and durable, and the price wasn't terrible.

So I removed the serial cable from the NGPC board, and used a multimeter to figure out which pin was which cable, then soldered pin 4 and 5 together and pin 6 and 7 together (RX and TX, and RTS and CTS, respectively) to make a loopback cable.

Voila! It passes the SH4 SCIF test now! So I'll be adding a loopback function on my "serial box" for running this Check-GD :)

This is what it looks like when the test passes:

image0.jpg

I tried to test the GD-ROM on my Japanese VA0 console, but after the Sega logo screen it kicks back to the main BIOS menu. Not sure why...
    My NTSC-US VA0 and NTSC-US VA2 consoles needs a repair so I couldn't try those at the moment.

Code:
    AS VIEWED FROM BACK OF CONSOLE
    < -- VIDEO PORT

PIN#       FUNCTION       COLOR (yours may differ!)
    1       +5V           RED
    2       SCK           WHITE
    3       GND           BLACK
    4       RX2           YELLOW
    5       TX2           BLUE
    6       RTS           GREEN
    7       CTS           BROWN
    8       GND           GRAY
    9       RESET       ORANGE
    10       +3.3V        PINK

EDGE OF CONSOLE -- >

For SCIF loopback cable:
    Connect   PIN 4 (RX2) to PIN 5 (TX2)
           PIN 6 (RTS) to PIN 7 (CTS)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    RaZiel, pool7 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I did brick a DC this way back then and IIRC changing the date didn't help.

8. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It's not fatal if you have access to a device programmer, though - just remove the flash from the PCB and put the region data back.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I know, thanks for the tip though.

I just don't have access to the right tools. I have a few DC though so it's not really an issue.

10. darcagn

Updated the post to reflect that. I believe in one of those posts atreyu187 said he had a region-free 4-wire modchip in that DC, it is probably what let the DC survive.

So a little bit more experimentation here:
    We now have 4 different versions of the Check-GD (NOT including the GD Drive Repair Program which is not the same as the Check-GD software, although one of the builds of the Check-GD I am counting here _was_ stored in a separate folder on the GD Drive Repair Program GD, BUT! Unfortunately it is missing the main binary). From latest to earliest chronologically:

- DC Checker for MP 2.15M (Jan 2000)
    - Loop Checker (November 1999)
    - DC Checker for Repair 2.050 (October 1999)
    - Mystery version on GD Drive repair program (from December 1998)

DC Checker for MP 2.15M (Jan 2000) and DC Checker for Repair 2.050 (October 1999) disc contents are 100% exactly the same except for the main binary and 3 other useless files.
    Loop Checker is exactly the same as the above two discs again except for the main binary, however is missing SH4CLX.BIN and VERTEX.BIN, even though by date it comes between those two discs...
    Mystery build is missing the main binary, has a different APLOADER.BIN, is missing APLOADER_BAK.BIN, has a bunch of .BIN files missing from the PVR/ folder but a lot of .BIN files in that same folder that differ, and is missing the SH4CLX.BIN and VERTEX.BIN.

I have tried the Loop Checker and DC Checker for Repair discs before, but had not tried the DC Checker for MP disc, the latest one, yet.
    Adam Koralik says in his video it won't run without the serial cable, and atreyu187 said when he dumped AdamK's disc and released a CDI of it that it was virtually useless because it won't run without the serial cable.
    That's completely wrong, it runs fine without the cable, just fails the SCIF check, just like all other builds.
    Unfortunately atreyu187's CDI version must be bad, at one point the screen just goes black for a video test and stays dead. I'm guessing he forgot to binhack a binary somewhere on the disc.
    Also, if you manually load the Sonic Cubes menu on atreyu's CDI, the CDDA that plays in the background doesn't play at all, so his CDDA is broken too.

RaZiel, -=FamilyGuy=- and pool7 like this.
  11. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

Documents come soon.
    I have to feel some parts

LuizNai and darcagn like this.
  12. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Yeah it was the 4 wire modchip and setting the date that allowed it to work again. It's to bad as I liked the black swirl.

Yeah I had this as well, changing the date works but you must have a 4 wire region modchip installed. I made a video of this "fix" years ago. Didn't know till much later it was because of the modchip. Was when I removed it the system ceased to work.

Rocky5 likes this.