Dreamcast:Shenmue III Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by shenmue19, Sep 17, 2011.

1. shenmue19

shenmue19 Member

Thinking back to past comments and research, does it seem too far fetched to say that actual Shenmue III footage exists somewhere in Sega AM2's vault? Obviously we know that work was done at the game, but I'm curious to know HOW much work was done.

Judging by past footage. We know that Shenmue was at least completed up to Guilin (the end of II) on the Sega Saturn so does really seem out of place to say that there's probably a rich amount of Shenmue III footage locked up in the vault? There's no doubt in my mind that when Dreamcast development started, it went beyond II. Personally I think it's in playable form, but we just don't know it yet.

Yu Suzuki has also went on to describe exactly how Shenmue III plays out in terms of gameplay mechanics and storytelling (going from inwards to outwards or something to that resort) and for him to have that kind of knowledge on something that doesn't exist is strange in my opinion.

If we ever do get Shenmue III, I hope there is an easter egg that showcases Shenmue III: Dreamcast like they did with the Saturn version.

Shenmue III:Dreamcast is right up there with Virtua Fighter 3:Saturn as one of Sega's best kept secrets.

2. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

I'm sure 'something' exists (or had existed), even if it's only a part of Chapter 7. The history of this game tells me they didn't just stop dead at Chapter 6. Then again, they had to stop at some point...

As for Yu knowing where the game was going to go - it was his game, and with or without any development I'm sure he'd know where he planned to take it. Although when I was reading that interview it sounded like it had evolved over the years.

I for one am more interested in knowing if 'Chapter 2' still exists somewhere. That was complete and cut last minute due to disc space. I just hope 'cut' doesn't mean 'completely deleted', but it probably does.

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Project Berkley Demo look it up it shows stuff that is supposed to happen after Shenmue 2

5. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. Keiji Dragon

Keiji Dragon Enthusiastic Member

^ Maybe because Yu Suzuki was special, and he got special dibs on making his protos as fancy as he wanted.

Yeah, does that sound like bull...

8. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

Or maybe its because Shenmue was a 40 million dollar franchise and worth more to Sega than say, the web browser sitting next to it.

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Pretty sure those disc's aren't printable. Therefore, shopped.

10. Mcds

Mcds Member

I only played the first one and that was a decade ago. Havent played 2, reason? is because I'm scared of not knowing if Yu Suzuki will ever complete the series, I will admit first one was great!

11. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep. Site Supporter 2012, 2014

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  12. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

This.

It boggles my mind that they didn't shop in some handwriting, would have been just as easy...

13. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

First of all, there's absolutely no doubt that at least something of Shenmue III was produced - Yu Suzuki was looking to complete the whole saga back in the day, with most of the hard work already completed long before the project switched over to the Dreamcast. In fact, it's believed that Shenmue Saturn Version was virtually complete, though nothing was seen of the later chapters because AM2 had yet to release these on the Dreamcast (or whatever platform they were intended for by then).

I seem to recall an article from a few years ago that mentioned Shenmue III being exclusive to the Xbox, which came about following Microsoft's acquisition of its predecessor in the US. Also, there's the 2006 interview that suggests it was completely planned and just awaiting the green light to be ported to a chosen platform, with the 360 and PS3 the most likely candidates to receive this final installment of the series. On the other hand, wasn't it meant to be a standalone game containing the whole story, instead?

One thing we can be certain of is that the missing second chapter was never meant to be seen... besides, we'd have seen at least something of it by now if this was removed at the very last minute! My recollection is chapter two being Ryo's boat journey from Japan to Hong Kong, which is later referenced due to his carrying out a good act. While details of this were never officially revealed, the best guess is that Chai managed to climb on board following his previous dockside confrontation with Ryo.

Nobody knows exactly what happens, but it's likely Chai was knocked overboard, possibly even killed, although murder would go against Ryo's values. Perhaps this is why the episode is recalled yet never actually seen? Could the shame have been replayed in a dream flashback, similar to other instances scattered throughout the first two games? Whatever the case was, there's little doubt that AM2 intended for this part of the story to be referenced later and not experienced by the player.

As for how Shenmue progressed into its final chapters, you only have to look at early promotional material for some of the most obvious clues. The pre-rendered Project Berkeley footage may not be entirely indicative of how Shenmue eventually turned out, but some kind of train journey deeper into China doesn't seem too unlikely. Also, there's a very brief scene where Shenhua clearly blows two assailants away with some kind of energy blast.

For those who don't know the full story behind how Shenmue came to be, let's refer way back to 1993 when Yu Suzuki first visited China to research martial arts for a new game he was planning that soon became Virtua Fighter. After being impressed by the Guilin region and temples in Hong Kong specifically, he decided to split his new project down the middle, with one half being an arcade-style tournament game and the other a character developing adventure title.

Originally known as VF RPG and centred around the early years of Akira Yuki, this period in Shenmue's development must surely have referenced the material Suzuki collected with his team in 1993. There is a short clip on the VF History disc of early physics tests, including a sequence where someone who looks awfully like Akira is punching holes in rock walls and making objects float with a similar kind of shield to that seen in the Project Berkeley video I mentioned before.

All of this could be purely coincidental, but when combined with the floating sword at the cliffhanger ending to Shenmue II and rumours that later chapters would have introduced more fantastical elements, could this have been a preview of what we were to expect from Shenmue III? Most people seem to agree that Ryo would have met Lan Di for an epic battle, and my best guess is that rather than kill his enemy, Hazuki would instead attack him with some kind of fireball.

Realising he is no match, Lan Di would then surrender, perhaps offering Ryo the opportunity to join the Chi You Men. Preferring his simple and pre-destined life with Shenhua, Ryo instead turns down his offer, knowing that he's already won Lan Di's respect. Suzuki himself has hinted at something like this being the case, suggesting that despite all he has acquired during his journey, Ryo's story winds down and focuses more on simple tasks and conversations living with Shenhua.

Then again, with the increasing number of strange occurrences, maybe Ryo and Lan Di develop the ability to fly and continue their battle in space? Alternatively, perhaps they are both killed or it turns out the entire story was just a vision in Yukawa's head, just like the dream sequence at the end of the What's Shenmue preview disc? Better yet, what if the whole thing was in Ine-san's head, or even that cat in a box you find in the park near Ryo's home? Who can honestly be sure what AM2's mastermind had in store for us?!

14. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Actually if you played the xbox version of shenmue 2 you can unlock a comic that shows what happens in chapter 2.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  15. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

when those two sega employees where takeing questions at the begining of the year ( 2011 ) there was rumor that Shenmue III did exist but when the Dreamcast went belly up a japonise sega rep removed all copys

there was a rumor that Shenmue III was gonna be on the xbox but never happened

this is one mystery that may never be solved

16. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

Nah trust, chapter 2 was meant to be seen at one point. I remember reading an interview back in 2004 on Shenmue Dojo. Here's the part about the boat:

----

Q: Was the scene shot?

Masaya: Yes! We shot it pretty flamboyantly. In fact, some people Ryo meets on the boat were supposed to see him again in the later scenario, saying like "ah, you're the one on that boat..." and the story would expand from there.

Yu-san: Confronting Chai was a nice situation. We've finished the designs of the boat completely, including the height of the deck, the length of the rails, and every thing. The escaping route was arranged, too. Some spectacular action scenes were planned to be unfolded, you know.

Masaya: All the motions were captured, too. I opened the door of the cabin and then the story went so theatrically!

Q: Then, you had to cut those scenes tearfully?

Yu-san: Well... I cut them rather plainly. "Impossible to fit? OK, cut it," just like that.

----

I guess when I said last minute, that was just my wishful thinking. Still, re-reading the interview has confirmed it no longer exists, because it was never really complete to begin with. At least I have the comic strip, I guess.

17. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Thanks for clearing up the whole chapter two issue... I guess it must have still been floating around in the back of my mind somewhere from an article I'd read years before about how the boat scene involved another encounter with Chai - little did I know this was actually what would have happened, though the bit about this part of the story actually being planned is new to me! Who says you don't learn something new every day?

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Robust Member

kinda off topic but shenmue as a franchise would of done so much better if they released II on the PS2 instead of the xbox, we could be waiting for shenmue 5 now :(

19. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

Personally, and I realize the Dreamcast VS PS2 argument is nearly a decade old now, but honestly I'd rather never see Shenmue III than see any Shenmue game on a Sony console.

20. Chi-kitory

Chi-kitory Robust Member

Completely agreed. Sonic shouldn't even be on PS2 but that happened.