Dreamcast "Nexus" Memory Card to USB?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Sisee, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Sisee

Sisee Member

I received yet another replacement Dreamcast today.
    And in the package, along with the console and various other accessories, was a small white cable.
    On one end is what I recognise as a standard PC Parallell plug, the 25 pin kind, usually used for very old printers.
    And on the other end was a plug I've not seen before on an accessory cable.
    The logo on the plugs casing is the universal symbol for USB (looks like a trident).
    But, it isn't any USB plug I've ever seen, it's more reminiscent of an internal connection plug. The kind designed to connect directly to PCBs on jumper pins.

On further digging, I found its recipient.
    A Nexus memory card, complete with a port compatible with the "mystery" plug on the above described cable.
    My research has lead me to believe that it is the 16x version. Although, I haven't tested it yet to see.

As Parralell connections are extremely rare now, only existing as a "legacy" support on some PC motherboards, and to my knowledge and experiences, completely eradicated from laptop and "all-in-one" PCs.
    And, as a iMac user, I have never seen one in my hardware. Nor on my old MacBook Pro.

I have seen Paralell to USB convertes before, but they are usually handling TWAIN for printers and other similar devices.
    I was wondering if using such a devise would allow me access to the PC side of the Nexus's features.
    I know software will be needed, as Paralell doesn't have the UPnP that most USB connections do.

I'm not desperate, as I intend to do the SD Card mod to this Dreamcast, for backing up saves and such.
    I even have my circuit and card holder already built and awaiting installation, along with a custom BIOS and VGA circuit.
    But, with the price of a "Paralell-to-USB" cable being about £3, I was just curious about the functionality of the Nexus, as I've never actually seen one before. Probably as in the past, and even now, I endeavour to avoid 3rd party hardware whenever possible.

As I stated, I'm not in any urgency for this.
    I was just curious.
    And even then, it's only a passing curiosity, as I've learned that the Nexus memory cards are reputable to be rather unreliable. The 16x version being the worst of the brand.

Sisee.

2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Probably won't work if simply converted. Probably be a good idea to build a USB equivalent.

Though I've got a Nexus 4x card and no cable anymore. The software really sucked.

3. Melchior

Melchior Rapidly Rising Member

This used the full Bi-Directional IEEE1284 port ~ which is not the same as the USB-to-Printer adapters.

Your only bet is the get either a PCI or PCI-Express parallel card (or Mini version if a laptop)

Software wise;

http://mc.pp.se/dc/files/dcmtools.tar.gz

You'll need to compile this, I assume all needed tools are present/available on a mac...

4. Sisee

Sisee Member

Thanks for the replies.

But, it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth.
    I was hoping for a simple cheap method.
    I'm not too savvy with compiling apps.
    Not to mention my iMac only has USB and Thunderbolt ports.
    There's no explanation bays or PCI slots for me to utilise.

Thanks anyway.

5. Melchior

Melchior Rapidly Rising Member

You are not completely out of luck;

http://mc.pp.se/dc/dchid.html

I forgot there is the Maplebus-TO-USB converter.

So if you can connect the DC controller + VMU to the USB bridge, then (with new software & drivers) you can read the card.

However you really need to be a CS/EE to probably understand what I'm talking about.

6. Sisee

Sisee Member

Interesting.
    I understand the principle.
    But, again, beyond my knowledge.

I'm a hobby modder, most of my mods are functional, but on a budget. Both in terms of currency and knowledge.
    So, if something goes too deep, I tend to just leaves it alone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012