Dreamcast Keyboard + USBGDROM + Typing of The Dead?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by erfg12, Jun 1, 2018.

1. erfg12

erfg12 Rising Member

When launching typing of the dead (tried US region roms) it says to plug in a keyboard, which I did. But nothing happens. I played Unreal Tournament with the keyboard and mouse and it worked just fine.

UPDATE: Using the v1.004 (DCCM) CDI worked.

Also it seems that PlanetWeb v1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 do not recognize the keyboard, and constantly say there is an issue with the CD. Using the XDP Web Browser v2.6 modified version of PlanetWeb works perfect.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

DC peripherals have region byte, perhaps ToTD and mentioned software will work only with specific region keyboards ? and these checks was hacked out in pirated releases.

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

That is an interesting theory.

I did some searching and regarding HOTD2, Zorlon over at EmuParadise had this to say.

"Dreamcast LightGuns specially the MadCats unofficial ones (The Official ones are region locked, not to the system but to the games, i.e. a JAP lightgun will only work with Jap games and a PAL lightgun will only work with PAL games, I found this out myself ages ago when my second lightgun was an official one, I got rid of it quick enough and went with a 2nd MadCats lightgun)"

Now I don't quite know if this is the case with TOTD but it very well could be since in Europe outside of the UK they use AZERTY in places like France instead of the more common QWERTY. I believe other countries like Belgium also might use that layout but not an expert on the subject as I do hail from Texas. But I DO know that there are a few different layouts for Dreamcast keyboards in certain regions that use Latin alphabet and AZERTY is an alternative layout to the more common QWERTY ones. Also you have to take into account the Japanese version of the game is going to use an altogether different keyboard and expect as such. But this is just my thinking so it could be that like with the HOTD game they region locked official peripherals.

Edit: Also make sure there is no dents on the metal connector on the top of the plug for the kb since I actually had my Chihuahua puppy chew on my kb around 2010-2011 after I got mine. I had to take the plug completely apart and hammer down the top part of the metal flat again since she as a teething puppy put a nice dent into the metal. Worked perfectly now and she is still healthy as a 7 1/2 year old dog lol.

Also, the OG Xbox I have now, my twin nieces when they were like 3 years old smashed chocolate into the first controller port when my brother owned it before he traded it to me. I had to clean the plug of the controller itself with alcohol and an old toothbrush to clean it and get a good connection with the console. Before that, the only way that the controller would work was blowing into the connector like with old NES carts. 90% of the time it only worked after blowing into. So check to see if any of those things might be a reason if it is getting a bad connection. Simple fixes if that is all it needs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    MetalliC and fafadou like this.
  4. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

Well, I just used a Japanese keyboard with the american TOTD without any trouble, I used the Trurip GDI.

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Thanks for reporting back here. I guess that confirms it that it isn't an issue with this game.