Dreamcast Homebrew games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Dec 24, 2007.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Any recomendations? NESTER DC is cool an all but having to restart the console everytime I want to play a new game is a pain.

Anywho what is recomended for good Homebrew?

2. kendrick

kendrick Enthusiastic Member

Nester DC should allow a soft reset to return to the menu, rather than having to reboot all the way. Try A+B+C+D+Start or L+R+Start and see if that takes you back to the game list.

As far as non-emulator homebrew goes, I'm quite fond of the Ultima IV port. As emulation goes, the Atari ST emulator on the Dreamcast is very well done and has some advantages over the equivalent PC versions.

3. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Anything that isn't a port or an emulator?

4. diddydonn

diddydonn Familiar Face

i personally loved feet of fury, a fantastic homebrew game that was

5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Beat's of Rage ! Amazing when it was released. Plus there are many quality mods for it oh and a load of shitty mods as well.

How about Dreamcast Quake? Not a port as such since it was coded from the ground up. There are also many mods for that as well.

Yakumo

6. kendrick

Doesn't Feet of Fury count as a retail release, given that it was licensed by Sega? Granted, it wasn't a full license with a GD-ROM pressing and all the usual marketing stuff, but it wasn't exactly a basement coding project either.

7. Yakumo

Feet of Fury wasn't licensed at all.

8. Muffinman943

Muffinman943 Spirited Member

alice dreams is a ton of fun while it lasts. Def my favorite honebrew game on the dc.

9. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

10. kendrick

I'm probably overstating things to say that Feet of Fury was licensed. But didn't the Goat Store have some sort of formal agreement with Sega about publishing and releasing the thing? They don't draw a lot of attention to it, but I remember them saying they went out of their way not to piss off Sega's lawyers with their relatively high-profile titles.

11. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Well done to Muffinman943 for being the first to find a piece of homebrew software that isn't a port, rips off sprites or is a poorly hidden port.

Wooden spoon to WolverineDK for posting links to emulation sites,which didn't really have any homebrew games of any note..... one even said 'Site under construction....' when you clicked homebrew games.

12. Yakumo

The team behind Beats of Rage have their 100% original racer coming soon. Actually looks pretty sweet. - http://www.senileteam.com/

There's another home brew shooter coming out called Dalforce. I own two beta builds of it under the name of XOP (No I can't make ISOs of them so please don't ask). The first build is really rough but the later build shows some great ideas. The final should be amazing when it's released.

Yakumo

PS: can I now have a spoon award?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  13. Barret7sc

Barret7sc Active Member

As one of the authors of a DC game published by the GOAT store, I can say that SEGA knows about what they are doing. There is more to it but I had to sign a NDA to find out.

I'd suggest Inhabitants, its a decent puzzle game. I am partial, since I wrote it. I would suggest swapping the game disc with a CD of your choice once it loads since the soundtrack is...well...interesting.

I'd love to get back into DC development, but I really would like to have a BBA. Debugging a game over serial is so slow ;)

14. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Yakumo-sama: I believe the spoon award is a bad thing. But last time I checked all three links, they had the homebrew versions of at least Rise Of The triad, and other games like that.

15. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Don't forget Drill.

I don't know if it ever made it to completion, but there is a 1 level playable demo out there.

-hl718

16. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013