Dreamcast Hellgate 2nd release(request)

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by accel99, May 17, 2019.

1. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Hi , Iam looking for the second release of hellgate for the dreamcast. It was source code and asset files uploaded by a user named NTM. I had combined some of those files with the released proto to get a more stable version(for example the angel cutscene was working correctly). I had made a cdi that I uploaded here but the megaupload link is gone and I have no backup. I was wondering is anyone would be kinda enough to upload the NTM/second release archive?

heres the post that iam reffering to:

Anthony817 and pool7 like this.
  2. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

Damn, I thought "Hellgate London"...too bad...but a short googe about this matter already reveals some interesting links. Good luck. :)

good likes this.
  3. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Not what I was looking for. It leads to the game image image. I am looking for an archive that had more assets and I think different executables (can't recall what else was in there) . Those links were dead.

4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Damn I wish I had known about this more optimized franken version you made. Is there any video showing how much better it ran?

5. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

My post of that are on this forum but no video. Even the megaupload link I posted is dead. You see in the original hellgate release you make it to this cutscene where you have this character talking to you and the camera would start to flip out and act all wonky , you never get to see who's talking to you. I replaced the executable with one from the archive and added some stuff from the folder and there was a big difference. When you reach that point the narraration remains but now you can see it's an armored angel thing talking to you. There were other things I just can't recall , I think it made vs mode more unstable though.

Think you know anyone who has the hellgate source code archives? I hope they aren't lost forever.

6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I am not sure. I have a lot of stuff archived I got from others that had the homebrew directory from TIZ when it went down, and I actually helped Night Dive Studios get hold of the thought lost Dreamcast System Shock 2 and Thief source, and they were nice enough to hook me up with a free Steam copy of Turok. But nothing like the source for Hellgate unfortunately.

My buddy atreyu187 used to archive all things Dreamcast especially betas. He had a spell of bad luck and had to sell off much of his collection, but he is slowly getting back into the retro gaming community. I don't know that he kept any of his archived files on HDD's though.

Doesn't Hidden palace have a lot of betas and sources backed up? I just checked they have only the April 10th 2001 proto.

7. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Good news, one of my dead HDD came back to life shortly and I found my prebuilt image of the second version of hell gate. Heres a screen shot prove its not BS. This is the opening scene I was talking about . For some reason the original cdi image(the more common one) is in the 700s of MB while my hellgate the 2nd image is around 533 MB. Maybe I screwed something up that leads to vs mode being more unstable lol.
    [​IMG]

Anthony817 likes this.
  8. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Can you share this build?

9. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

The reason he made the thread is to ask if anyone has a copy because he no longer has one.

10. darcagn

Unless I'm misunderstanding, he just said he found it on an old drive.

Anthony817 likes this.
  11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

youre right my mistake, my apologies.
    the way i read it was "i found an image" followed by a screenshot to show what the difference was, rather than the image of the game.

but yes, id like to see it shared as well

darcagn likes this.
  12. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

I'll upload sometime today when I have free time. IAM still looking for the plain files/zip archive for the second release/source code of hellgate. Even though I have the cdi , I wasn't able to find the archive for the plainfiles. Interestingly enough I found the source code of system shock 2 on that hard drive. All three zip files.

pool7 and Anthony817 like this.
  13. darcagn

Could you upload that as well? I think I'm missing those files in my archives too.

14. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Iam having trouble uploading my hellgate image and its 3 am so I am going to bed. Ill give it another go tomorrow. Not sure why but mediafire/mega go rally slow and eventually just fail, ugh.

As for the system shock 2 stuff I dont think ill upload that. Something about the dreamcast source code was used for modern releases of the game.I dont want any company bothering me over that.

15. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

OK , it finaly uploaded. Had to take it to a different pc altogether , no idea why. As for the game itself seems more polished but the frame rate and loading seems worse. There might be more cutscenes/ more complete cutscene and the levels seem more coherent.

hellgate ( more polished version):
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/6zvl0nxr2ijx6bj/hellgate.7z/file

RaZiel and Ivan GR like this.
  16. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

SS2 source (complete?) was leaked several years ago (2012/2013 IIRC) along with some DC betas of SS2 and Thief 2. The file contained source code for SS2, Thief 2 and maybe something else.
    Is this the one you found?

17. darcagn

Things have changed since then, in fact the entire game's source code was released under GPL:
    https://github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

The Mac version was released instead of DOS, as their CEO posted here on reddit that's the only one they can actually find:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/systemshock/comments/8a47kf/system_shock_source_code_released/dwvz34p/

Can you please at least upload it somewhere and send me a link in private?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the original files archive on the Wayback Machine here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150415104946/http://dreamcast-talk.com/beta/

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  18. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

19. darcagn

Whoops, you're right. I'm stupid. :p

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Actually the owner of Night Dive Studios contacted me around a year or 2 ago asking me if I could locate the source for him or point in the right direction. They needed it to update and release the latest patch for the game, and for my troubles let me grab a free Steam copy of Turok. So I think it is best to keep this stuff out in the open as it benefits all.

However, Night Dive Studios has acquired the full rights to it, and are actually planning to release the full thing hopefully sooner than later.

You can see in this Tweet Stephen Kick the owner has said he plans on releasing it publicly like they did with SS1.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1043191310939607041

So if anybody still has the old DC files and source that was released way back in 2010 there should be no issues at all sharing it.