Dreamcast GD Blank question

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by f_bohmann, Jan 28, 2005.

1. f_bohmann

f_bohmann Rapidly Rising Member

ho...

while seeing the topics regarding gd-r sales etc a question came up for me: what do those of you guys who buy spindles of gd-r's actually use them for? collecting, or actually burning things onto them?

f

2. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

burning themselves onto them....

3. Re: ...

...Sounds painful :smt043

4. f_bohmann

this was meant to be a serious question... i might be able to supply a few gd-r's to people who would actually want to use them for devving or stuff... ;)

f

5. macwest

macwest Resolute Member

I plan on using it for development of my own game.

6. ...Supply as in 'free'?

7. f_bohmann

oldengineer: except for the shipping, yes. ;)

8. manopac

manopac Spirited Member

I plan on doing a "service" for board members in getting the data from their Devkit-Harddrives and burning it to GDRs ...

9. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

I wouldnt want people burning too much on gd-r. Simply because you will know someone out there will burn some game on gd-r and call it an original.

I wonder how much a prop arena gd-r would fetch on ebay only for the buyer to be worried that it was actually the released version burned onto the gd-r.

10. manopac

manopac Spirited Member

what are you calling an "original" ? I don't think that any GDR of Propellar Arena is really an original ... I don't think that there's a difference between a Prop Arena burned from a Dev-Kit now and a Prop-Arena burned from a Dev-Kit back in the days ...

of course it is a different story, if its a rip of the game with downsampled music or vids, which is only burned to a GDR instead of a CDR ....

the service I would want to offer should be for people who want their games from Dev-Kits to GDR (to preserve them and play them on regular dreamcasts), I don't see the point in burning a ripped version to a GDR other than selling it on ebay ...

having said that, I don't think, that a GDR of an unreleased game is worth anything after the relase of that game ... but its a different story than that with REAL originals like the Flintstones White Lable ...

11. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

@bohmann : do you dev mate?

12. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

With the somewhat large amount of discs showing up all it takes is a few people to burn some unreleased games onto gd-r to simply make their money back or get a rip of a game like prop arena and sell it on ebay. Also i personaly think that a game being burnt inhouse at sega (or whereever) has much more value then the one that some guy made in his room to try and make a few hundred on ebay.

Nah im not saying anything about your service. Just saying in general with so many discs flying around you have to watch out for the gd-rs you buy now more then before.

Well im pretty sure there are people willing to pay top dolar for the orignal in house burnt gd-r of prop arena...

13. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Re: ...

I do dc-dev now. If you feel particularly inclined to explain to me the workings of the PowerVR, feel free to do so :smt083

14. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

i've understood how the pvr works and the whole interface to it...
    but right now i am burning with sh4 asm and trying to think of a way to organize my 3d engine...

heh,i am rewriting some stuff in asm,no pipline stalls up until now;)

Anyway,drop me mail about pvr and i will try to explain things...

15. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Re: ...

I could try giving you a hand with SH4 asm, did a fair bit of assembly coding on various architectures and also a bit on SuperH :)
    BTW, check your e-mail.