Dreamcast Fan Replacement

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Nopileus, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

Since the points where the screw mounts meet the fan shroud are filleted, I would expect that there shouldn't be much layer separation. It's a fan mount, though, so maybe fan vibration over time would cause separation? At any rate, I figure that I'll try printing one laying down, 3 shells, and 50% infill using ABS.

2. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Let me know how it turns out. Which version are you planning on making?

3. Xerxes3rd

I'm planning on printing v1.1 as I think I have the same Noctua fan that you do. I have a Flashforge Dreamer printer and use Simplify3D for slicing (Simplify3D works great for generating supports).

Collingall likes this.
  4. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Nice printer, I have the Flashforge Creator, with their new mighty board. Simplify3D's support material was completely worth the investment.
    I like that new duct. It fits without needing any modification to the metal bracket.

Xerxes3rd likes this.
  5. jhmiller

jhmiller Member

I ordered this piece to 3D Hubs in 400 "microns", but they recommend 200 or 75 "microns".
    Which is better and why? And what is the difference?

6. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

3d printing is done layer by layer, when someone talks about resolution of a part it's usually labeled in microns and describes the height between layers. 400 microns is 0.4mm 200 is 0.2mm and 75 is 0.075

3d printed parts are only as strong as the bond between the layers. The thicker the layers the more prone to failure they are and the more noticeable the lines between layers are. The thinner the layers the better they are fused together and the more uniform the look.

With the noctua 1.1 adapter I printed mine at 100 micron. With the original fan adapter I printed 200 micron.
    I don't know what the price difference is between 200 and 75 but if it isn't significant go with the 75 micron it will be the best quality.

7. jhmiller

jhmiller Member

The store also recommended me 75. So I finally got it that way, since the price difference is minimal.

8. Xerxes3rd

I finally printed one. I used 100 micron layer height like we previously discussed. Mine didn't come out nearly as clean, but I think my extruder is over-extruding. I also realized that rotating it "backward" 90 degrees doesn't make it lay down totally flat, so that might have contributed. At any rate, though, I think it'll work, even though it's a little ugly. =)

IMG_5087.JPG IMG_5088.JPG IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5090.JPG

9. pokemon402omaha

pokemon402omaha Member

Whoa......When my current print job gets done I am going to take a crack at it on a ANET A8 stock

10. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I recommend using a brim in either orientation there isn't a lot of contact with the build surface at any angle.
    I'm going to try to print it laying back at a 40° angle tonight. That angle gave me 3 point of contact with the build surface in Simplifly3D.

11. pokemon402omaha

pokemon402omaha Member

Well started the print before leaving for dinner. layer height .25mm 10%infill 60 mm/s print speed no supports, no rafts/brim or skirt. Printed great with PLA 14 minutes print time

Xerxes3rd likes this.
  12. Xerxes3rd

Awesome, post pics!

pokemon402omaha likes this.
  13. pokemon402omaha

pokemon402omaha Member

14. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Very nice, I've been doing all the parts in ABS so I require support material for good prints. PLA is amazing for quick prints and you gotta love the bridging you can do with it. I doubt it will ever get hot enough inside the system to deform the fan mount so PLA should be fine there.

15. jopamo

jopamo Member

Any new design updates on the prints? My fan bracket that I bought from @Collingall didn't work out so well for me. I'd like to try another if there's been some cool changes.

16. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I have an updated design, it gives slightly more clearance and uses 2 screws to affix the fan. What was wrong with the one you purchased from me?

I'm also finalizing a duct for VA0 systems, just need more time to work on it.

17. jopamo

jopamo Member

The lower fan retention brackets cracked. I used acetone to fuse them back to the main body, but they eventually came apart again.

Speaking of acetone, have you considered short term acetone vapor baths to smooth out the airflow path, and remove any possible turbulence from the print layers?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  18. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Those clips are a pain.
    My newer design doesn't use clips instead two screws hold the fan in place. I will upload it when I get home.

19. jopamo

jopamo Member

Nice! Got pics of the new design?

20. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I haven't printed the most recent revision to the new duct yet, but I do have it available on my Thingiverse page
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2308549 If anyone wants to download it.

The one I show in these pictures is made from PETG I apparently lost one of the screws, I will have to track one down in my screw bin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jopamo likes this.