Dreamcast Deer Avenger 3 Demo Beta

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Zeigren, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

Here's a video that @Adam_K made about this as of right now unreleased Beta

LuizNai, Traace, arnoldlayne and 3 others like this.
  2. thedoctor45x

thedoctor45x Member

Interesting footage but I'm not sure what the owner expects from the DC community or what he tries to achieve by letting Adam feature it but not release it since this is hardly worth paying for. Seriously, the whole backstory of this game is actually weirder than the game itself.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

The fact this game sold for half the price of the original ill-fated fundraising campaign should be an indicator of how much its owners were misguided in their initial estimation of its value, and they're doing no favours by continuing to dangle it in front of the Dreamcast prototype community like they've got some kind of holy grail. Due to the ease of porting games from the PC to Sega's final console, I'm surprised the market wasn't flooded with even more shovelware of this kind. Yes, it's interesting as a curio, but we're not looking at a long-lost classic. I'd suggest that Propeller Arena or perhaps Geist Force come the closest on Dreamcast, though much of this is because of the history behind those (as bookends of their host platform's life, both ultimately cancelled for very different reasons).

4. SourOneTon3DS

SourOneTon3DS Member

Not to rag on Adam K but doesn't surprise me he is the one suckered into shilling for this by the developers thinking it's something more than a very mild curiosity. Adam seems to me to not have any interest in video games at all during the actual time back then. Seems to have gotten a sixth gen with casual interest at best at the time and learning all before it for his YouTube channel and lacks "figuring it out" in example after example.

Why I stick with smaller channels that focus on there actually passion that they didn't fake or just start for whatever reason

Yakumo likes this.
  5. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Like he says in the video, it's a beta of a demo with at best two minutes of entertainment, so while it's a cool curiosity, I'll forget about it in a matter of days.

With that said, if I were the owner I'd be happy as a claim owning an unreleased game for the DC, but as a nobody I'm more thrilled about the leaked Agartha beta.

6. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

It is a bit odd, you would figure if the current owner was hording it to resell later that they wouldn't let Adam make a video about it. A mysterious disc is probably worth a bit more then some pixelated deer farts.

I can't really comment on Adam circa 1999 but I wouldn't exactly classify someone who has uploaded 100+ videos about the Dreamcast over the course of 8 years as fake or not passionate.

MBMM and Pinta77 like this.
  7. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

I’m going to have to watch this video as soon as I have a chance.

8. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

You could hold your breath from beginning to end with the minimal amount of "content" on the disc.

I don't even understand why this keeps coming up.

Pinta77 likes this.
  9. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

So after watching the video, from what I understand, it’s just switched hands from person to person, none of which are willing to dump it? The starving Dreamcast community is likely not going to respond well to that. Just dump the game

10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Deer avenger was sort of the worst shovelware possible,

Zeigren likes this.
  11. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

I m happy to don t have bid this auction on ebay :)

-=FamilyGuy=- and Zeigren like this.
  12. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

This was most likely the E3 2000 build. Really doesn't look that attractive :/

13. Tomleecee

Tomleecee Spirited Member

I realise this is old news at this point, but I couldn't help but throw my side of the story in for posterity. When this Deer Avenger disc was originally discovered, I spoke at length with the owner and offered to help him dump the contents of the disc, putting him in touch with some well known people in the DC community who have the ability to rip GDs and create bootable ISOs etc (not me - I'm as thick as two planks when it comes to that stuff!). None of the people who offered their services were ever contacted by the owner of the disc. I also wrote a couple of articles on the discovery on The Dreamcast Junkyard and figured that in a few weeks we'd get the chance to sample the contents of the disc via a download or whatever. When it transpired that the guy was trying to raise an extortionate amount of money via crowdfunding, completely ignoring offers to help in favour of making a fast buck, I decided to no longer cover the story or the slightly distasteful attempt to make money from a curio. This in no way reflects on Adam, by the way - he's a good friend and I enjoy his content. I just find the whole Deer Avenger thing to be a bit of a disappointing saga, where someone with minimal knowledge on the Dreamcast or the community stumbles across something unusual, figures it is worth more than it is, and then holds the community to ransom. Happily, as Adam's video shows, Deer Avenger for the Dreamcast isn't really worth anyone's time (or money). But it does make you wonder what the outcome would be if somebody stumbled upon something that the community really did give a toss about.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    americandad, MBMM, Zeigren and 2 others like this.
  14. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

You can't really fault someone wanting to make some money off of a lucky find (TV culture in the US is all about that lately), but the demo is awful and the only value the disc really has is in bragging rights. Why do we even want this piece of rubbish dumped?

Tomleecee likes this.