Dreamcast dead console, fixable?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by icekicker, Jan 12, 2018.

1. icekicker

icekicker Member

Hi peeps,

So basically the story goes; I got real impatient with a bios swap, used a gigantic tip on my soldering iron and damaged a trace, and unknowingly bridged 3 pins on the chip above the bios replacement (see image)
    [​IMG]

the 8th 9th and 10th pins were bridged with what looks like a tiny single strand of wire covered in solder, it broke in two removing it, it was pretty difficult removing it without removing the chip - but after I removed it I've checked all the points for continuity and we're a go there - now the black cable I removed from the 9th pin which it was soldered to (I broke the hole pad below it previously), so it's hanging free in this picture but it's back on the 9th pin and the red cable there is repairing the trace lazy way going around to the back of the board onto the corresponding point (I followed the trace through the board and used continuity meter to double check) and although the trace of pin 8 looks damaged, I've tested it and it comes back fine.

Big issue with this is that once I repaired the initial botch job I didn't see this silver hair bridging those 3 pins... And I turned the console on. Nothing happened, gd rom drive kicks in but just spins forever as if it's reading as normal, VMU gives no output, and no A/V output either.

So I'm not sure if it's totally gone or whether I'm missing a trace repair, or whether my red wire trace repair is inadequate and I should repair the trace properly. I just don't know enough about the hardware to know what to check first.

I also lifted a pad on the bios chip pin 5, but I repaired that using a strand of copper wire and it's coming up fine when testing

Small recap: Broke trace coming out from pin 9, crudely repaired said trace with a long wire (maybe that's causing issues...?) 8th pin trace not actually broken, pins 8,9 and 10 were bridged, removed bridging entitiy. Bios chip pad broke, fixed.

No other damage visible via giving it a good eye scan.

If nobody has any ideas, tomorrow I'll go around checking all of the pads and traces to their point of origin to confirm they're not broken, since looking at this image it looks like the trace I broke and repaired with the red wire actually connects to another point also, and it's questionable whether that pad is intact still - since the image it looks like there's a small gap between the trace and pad.

No A/V, no VMU activity, GDRom drive appears to read but not do anything, then spin forever. Everything appears to function otherwise.

I appreciate any help any may have to offer :) thanks!

P.S the repairs I did afterward were with a thin tip and soldering the bios chip too even. I also went ahead with my second dreamcast and did the same bios swap, but with the small tip and it worked flawlessly first try, nothing damaged or etc.

P.P.S the red wire is temporary either way, pls no attack for being lazy timesaver, and I also cut back the exposed wire on the black wire, it's shorter than this image now

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It's most likely there is another broken trace you haven't found yet. I can't see that long wire on the WE/ pin causing any problems booting although it would be best to make it shorter if you can.

From the look of it, you have swapped the boot ROM with a pre-programmed flash. Are you sure it's correctly programmed? Bad flash contents will cause pretty much the results you are seeing.

darcagn likes this.
  3. irvgotti452

irvgotti452 Rising Member

Since you said you lifted pin 5 make sure you have a connection all the way through the trace. Same with the others. See image:
    [​IMG]

That could be an issue as well. (Not my image, I grabbed it from google. But I did edit it :] )
    Also you might have to repair the via, use a resistor leg and put it through to the other side. Clean and flux and you should have it fixed if its that :cool:

4. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I think the via would be fine if it was working before, just run a patch wire across

5. icekicker

icekicker Member

Okay so I went and tested the points from pad 5 onward and they all go through fine, but I removed the long red wire and attempted to repair the trace using a single strand of copper wiring

However when I test the white wire pin 44 to the 8th pin, I get a short reading that disappears and doesn't fully connect, think that the via could possibly be damaged from when it was lifted?

In which case do resistor legs actually fit through that gap? Since the DC won't initialize anything, I'm fairly certain the trace repair is inadequate, though the thin strand has definitely got a connection to the 8th pin, I'm not too sure there's a complete connection through the board.

apologies for the poor quality photos haha I only have a samsung galaxy s2 to take photos with.

The only thing giving me any continuity issues now is that 8th pin, and the only thing I can think of is maybe that via pad has been damaged internally? I'll give it a test from the underside to the 8th pin and if it comes up wrong I guess I'll have to try the leg through the hole

and trimesh I got the bios chip replacement from bad_ad84 so I'm certain it's programmed correctly, especially considering the other DC I modified worked fine with the other chip I got from the same person

edit- fixed the trace but there's another damaged trace, this is endless madness!
    busy right now so it's taking a backseat, but I really hope I can get this one working haha, it'd be a nice accomplishment.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. irvgotti452

irvgotti452 Rising Member

Don't give up lol. Use pics like the one above to help you map out where some of the traces go. You'll get it!