Dreamcast Beta Discs / booter - Interested in dumping

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Dr. Swank, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Dr. Swank

Dr. Swank Newly Registered

Wow. That title was a mouthful.

Hello everyone, first time visitor and poster. I was referred here by a few interested people on YouTube and I'm interested in looking into what I can contribute.

I got my hands on some Dreamcast beta discs that "fell off of a truck" and I'd love to get them released out to the community.

Here's the list of what I have:

Worms Pinball: According to Some lists on the internet, this was unreleased on the DC. There's a news story on it's cancellation over at IGN too. I do know that it was released under a PC compilation called Pinball Madness 2 or Addiction Pinball. I've heard both. There are two tables: Worms and World Rally Fever. If anyone's interested, I submitted videos and screens to Unseen64.net last year.

Anyways, the disc is handwritten on a burnable GD-ROM and labeled "Worms Pinball version 1.000" and dated 9/19/2000.

If anyone wants pics of the disc or anything, let me know.

Charge N' Blast: Bestowed a prestigious 5.9 on Gamespot, I haven't played this one myself before this version.

Another hand-written GD-ROM (they're all handwritten, I should probably state that for my own sanity). Almost looks misspelled as "Chargen't Blast"...and I don't think I'd be alone in that assumption. Disc is labeled version 11.28 and dated 11/28/00. The game was released in Feb 2001.

Iron Aces: WWII air combat game. Never played it until this.

Disc is labeled version .801 and dated 10/5/00. The game was released in Feb 2001.

Here are some gameplay vids I posted on YouTube:

Video 1
    Video 2

Dream Coaster / Coaster Works: Two betas of the same game. Developed (and released in Japan I believe) under the name of Dream Coaster, this game was finally released as Coaster Works in December, 2000.

Dream Coaster disc is labeled version 2.0 and dated 7/27/00.
    Coaster Works disc is labeled version 11-7 and dated (you guessed it) 11/7/00.

Lastly, I should mention that these games need a special boot disc. I haven't been in the DC Hacking loop for a while, but I can safely say the Utopia boot disc doesn't work.

Anyways, I can't seem to find it at the moment, but it's a sort of development boot disc with a Sega logo on it. I don't know if there's a special way that would need to be released...I do know I misplaced it once and tried to find something on the internet but never found anything close or different than that Utopia disc.

Okay okay, long posts stop here. If anyone can provide some guidance on how to get these out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

welcome. It's a commendable effort.

i suggest you to backup your discs asap. here are the guides. after doing that contact assembler himself or a mod.

3. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

The boot disc is a System Disc 2 disc, but once they are backed up, they can be made self-bootable for a retail console without needing that disc.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. raylyd

raylyd Guest

Or me with a gd-rom/gd-r duplicator gdx hkt-0500 i have one.
    take a hour eatch and would not kill a dreamcast console or laser.

5. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

The GD-X uses the same laser as the Katana... which uses the same laser as the retail console and a piece of tape isn't going to cause any problems unless it's aluminum duct tape.

6. raylyd

raylyd Guest

with the gdx just let it rip on to its hard drive and wait save wasting time seeing if it will rip via a bba i should try that and see but my computer is far away from the wirelesss router?
    i have a bba.

7. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

If you don't want to go through all the hassle of dumping them yourself you might consider sending the discs to one of the capable and reputable members here. I'm sure they'll come forwards, and can be vouched for.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing Worms Pinball!

8. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I would also love to see Worms Pinball!

Sounds like you found a nice little batch of GDRoms there... Apart from Worms Pinball, they've all been released officially but you may have a earlier versions of some of those games - possibly Coaster Works (well, an earlier translation, perhaps?)

As has probably been mentioned you need the official System Disc 2 to load them.

Sending the GDRom to someone to rip it for you is a good option - As you've just arrived here, make sure you are 100% certain they're reliable members here. Read their posts, etc .. and you'll be fine.

Saying that (and slightly off topic) I have Eve Zero Ark of the Matter for the Dreamcast here which I'd love to see backed up - any takers? PM me!

9. Treamcaster

Treamcaster Intrepid Member

Congratulations! We really want to see that happen! Thanks for your kindness!

10. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

Awesome news, I personally look forward to Worms Pinball.

11. Basil

Basil Guest

Welcome Dr. Swank .
    Of course we all would like to see Worms Pinball released a priori because it was never released for DC .
    Thanks for your contribution

12. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

thank you very much Dr. Swank, another Dreamcast piece of history can be revealed here.

Thank you sincerely.

13. Blai

Blai Enthusiastic Member

Thanks for being so kind!

I'd love to test these.

14. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I somewhat recall DreamTR having a few Worms Pinball GD-Rs about. Wish I had grabbed them when I had my bba...le sigh.

15. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Dr.Swank, welcome to ASEMMblergames. Just a quick post yk let you know that the coaster game was released in Japan under the name of Jetcoster Dream and Jetcoster Dream 2. The 2 games were produced by 1 man under the company name of Bimboo soft which basically means poor ( as in no money) soft.

Yakumo

16. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Great that you are trying to release these beta's, especially Worms Pinball is highly appreciated!

17. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Spirited Member

Oh my, how kind from you Mr.Swank. I've seen the videos at Unseen64 some time ago and they were really interesting.

Thanks for such offer and be welcome aboard. :)

18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Any news on this?

19. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

'And he was never seen again'.

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Lol, I had my hopes up for Worms pinball.