Dracula X PCE "store demo not for sale"

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Tyree_Cooper, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

This was a few years ago. A seller who deals mainly with PCE stuff from Japan listed a few of these supposedly store demos of Dracula X. From time to time he has lots of PCE games, all legit, and usually starts his auctions very low. I talked to him back then and he told me he frankly had no idea about this particular item, since he got large stocks from his Japanese supplier and simply resold on eBay. He listed a few copies at USD 0.99 and they didn't go very high, which indicates buyers didn't believe it was real and didn't want to risk hundreds in it.

A guy is trying to resell one here, not that I'm advertising, but you can see the pics, which helps:

clickity-click

There was a thread on a PCE forum about it, but I can't find it. A guy who bought a copy said it was fake, since the jewel case and tray didn't look and feel right, same for the disc and manual. Quality wasn't as good as the real one and all.

I just keep wondering, if it were fake and the faker made several copies, what's the point of losing them to a seller who listed them at 0.99 without trying to generate any kind of hype anywhere? Seems odd to me. This is the kind of fake you'd make to lure some Castlevania collectors who lose their minds when they see anything that looks remotely like a demo, beta, preview or anything similar.

So yeah, just wondering what you guys think. I did get one back then, and confirmed the dump is the same as the final game, but that doesn't prove much (I have an embargo/review disc of Lament of Innocence, which is also the same as the final game). I tried to ID the disc to find out when it was produced or any date tag, but I didn't manage to find any date with any disc info software. I think this is the only way to confirm whether it's a real store copy from 1993 or something made later.

I'm also thinking, frankly, if you want to make a fake sample, you'd make it more obvious than this, I mean it's barely noticeable on the manual cover unless you're looking for it and you know how the normal cover looks. Very strange.

The usage of different quality materials, different disc type and the slightly off-printing of the manual can be explained (pre-production stuff), that's why I wanted to ID the disc badly, because a later date is clear proof of a forgery.

In my opinion this is most likely a forgery, but I'm still looking for a demolishing proof.:eek:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      226.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      236.7 KB
      Views:
    Getta Robo likes this.
  2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm leaning towards fake just based off of the Japanese. This might get wordy and I'm not good at explaining things but I'll try.

It says 宣伝コピー, which was clearly intended to mean "promotional copy." No prototypes/samples/demos I've seen ever use that term, especially Konami who have lots of samples that have been found over the years and they've never used it. It sounds too literal. The word copy (コピー) in particular is what makes it all wrong. In Japanese, copy literally means a copy, like a copied piece of paper. A reproduction of something. The way copy is being used here though is very obviously coming from someone with an English thinking mindset whose thinking of copy in terms of how we might say "oh yeah, I have a copy of that game," or "yeah, it's a promotional copy," both of which aren't literally saying a reduplicated version someone made for you like a CD-R or something, but more an established product that's been mass produced. We use the term copy like that casually in English, but in Japanese it's never used like that.

So whoever made this likely either used an online translator or a very basic understanding of Japanese and just thought they can call it a copy and all is well, but they weren't considering Japanese isn't English. Definitely fake, IMO.

photoboy and Denryu like this.
  3. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

I agree they usually say Shop Demo or Shop Sample if it's for the shop display version.
    Here's an example.
    [​IMG]

4. Tyree_Cooper

Yes, games usually say:
    見本品
    サンプル品
    サンプルCD
    サンプル版
    サンプルロム
    サンプル盤
    非売品
    実演用サンプル
    体験版
    お試し用サンプル版

But as you can see, "sample" is also commonly used straight from English, so meh, not sure. I'm still looking forward to finding production info of the disc to dismiss this once and for all.

5. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The point he's making is that the semantics of the English word "copy" and the Japanese word "コピー" are not the same, and the way the label was written is following the usage in English, not the usage in Japanese.

For example, Japanese has also adopted the English word "original" as "オリジナル" - and although the term "original copy" is perfectly acceptable in English, the construction "オリジナルコピー" would appear oxymoronic to a Japanese speaker.

6. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

More concise than I could have worded it!

This was probably an attempt at selling fakes that went wrong because the person behind it had to commission a cheap CD factory from China or something that required a bulk purchase, so they ended up with several CDs. That's one guess anyway.

I noticed btw that the auction seller in the eBay link OP gave also has a Symphony of the Night E3 disc, which very clearly is not the same as the actual original disc that the online dump came from. Two fake Castlevania discs showing up through one seller can't be a coincidence. Whoever made the PCE fake probably made that one too.

7. Tyree_Cooper

That E3 disc definitely looks off, but it has nothing to do with the original seller of the PCE game. I think this reseller bought a copy of the PCE game for cheap to resell later on, and the E3 disc comes from somewhere else, maybe he made it himself.

I don't think they commissioned anything, the moq would be in the hundreds and we've never seen the PCE game being sold again and again, someone would have noticed it in 5 years. I remember he sold less than 10 copies total on eBay, all during the same few weeks, all went cheap.

I also think the pce one is a fake. But I do find strange that instead of making a 1 to 1 copy of the CD artwork, they went the hard way and seem to have modified some details by hand, like the KMCD3005 at the bottom which is clearly written in a different, lighter font. There's absolutely no reason to do this, since the rest seems to be taken 1-1 from the original artwork.

original with thicker font
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

it easy find our.just check the CD laser mark , barcode, number or IFPI code
    what ever what you want copy data or cover draw, but you can not change this code because it from CD production

9. Tyree_Cooper

That's right, I just don't have the CD with me right now, but as soon as I do, I will check the CD thoroughly.:)

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

It's 100% fake.
    As mentioned, copy in Japanese only means duplicate. It doesn't have any other meaning unlike English.

good likes this.
  11. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Not that I condone any of this, but I am absolutely baffled that people spend so much time and money to make fakes, yet fail to do simple homework like verifying text with a native speaker. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Overconfidence always leads to failure.
    It still will be interesting to see the ring part of the disc.

13. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

I did write a little something a while ago about the real sample/demo version of Dracula X here. I don't own it although I wish I did :)

14. Tyree_Cooper

There's a similar demo for Castlevania (X68000). Not sure how many levels can be played, I guess one, and then the game shows the screen below. Must have been made for similar purposes and at similar times as the PCE demo (both games were developed at the same time by different teams). Demo comes in a nice Konami dev floppy.

v2_2.jpg