DQ4

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by oceanfr, May 27, 2006.

1. oceanfr

oceanfr Robust Member

dont think any english part of it went out right?

2. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Dragon Quest 4 was released on NES as Dragon Warrior 4.

3. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Think he's referring to the PSX remake.

If I remember correctly, an actual English release of it was announced, advertised for in the DW7 manual or something

4. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

Yeh but I don't think it started development (translation i mean) at all, correct me if I'm wrong.

Due to not so great sales from DW7, they didn't get the green light to publish the game. But, there are fan translations of the game if you can't read the japanese text so that you can import the game. I hear its pretty good. I wanted to import it but it was too expensive at the time for me, and then I lost interest.

5. oceanfr

oceanfr Robust Member

ok, yea sorry forgot to mention was referring to the PSX one

6. RegalSin2020

RegalSin2020 Guest

Meh it's better off the game was not released in English for the PSX since the PSX games is just one big turn off after another. Sure DQ7 was nice and all but the whole faked 3d effect was such a turn off with the animation.

DQ6 was real nice along with the special effects and the SNES was used in such a way that could only be described as sweet. All they needed for DQ6 was some cut scenes like in DBZ for SNES or Lufia for GBC ans it would have been a game in the legends like Tales Of Phantasia which was screwed up.

About DQ4 PSX engrish version ??? You gotta hold of it or pondering about it :katamari:

7. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

I remember seeing 2 images of dq4 for the ps1 back in an old egm, never seen it again though

Ryan

8. oceanfr

oceanfr Robust Member

2 images of the english DQ4?

(PS what you think of DQV remake)

9. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

I'll see if i dig 'em up after my exam tommorow :)

Ryan

10. jccochez

jccochez that's why i'm here.

11. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

I doubt a lick of japanese text was translated for the US market. Heartbeat dismantled itself shortly after the release of DW7 in the states and DW7 didn't sell well enough for Enix to put in the money for the translation and publishing.

12. jccochez

that is also why DQV remake on ps2 will be never translated from japanese

13. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Well, I wouldn't totaly block out the possibilities for "non-English" released DQ titles to show up in English.

I don't remember if it was SquareEnix USA or Europe, that in relation to the DQVIII English release had a huge marketting poll thingy going where amongst others asked for the interest people had in previous DQ-series installments and the possibilities for English re-releases of those.

So anything could happen, the PS2 is far from a dead system yet and with re-releases, remakes and ports being 'fashion/trendy' these days, I'd say it 'could' happen that we'll see them at some point.
    And if not, then just lube up with probably atleast the doubled amount of patience lotion and pray for the fan-community to step up with a fan-translation :p

14. jccochez

I think that the Dragon Quest IV remake won't be translated to english: first it is on psx, not ps2, and secondly, it was first released before square and enix's fusion.

DQV remake is already 2 years old, and as for now there is no plan to release it outside japan.

Ps2 is not dead Yet, but ps3 will be lauched in november, so it's only a matter of time now (but i think we still have about 2 years before it happens)

i think we can forget about DQV remake.

BUT, if there will be a DQVI remake (4 on ps1 , 5 on ps2... 6 on ps3?) on ps3, i think it would be released everywhere, as Dragon Quest VIII were an huge success.

and i think we can forget about the fan translation : translating old nes/snes roms were difficult, but translating ps1/ps2 games is nearly impossible
    =>there were no fan translation on ps1, or allmost nothing

I prefer not to talk about ps2 games... the only chance we have here is that someone would find a beta version with souce code ; it's not going to happen soon i think

i'm now waiting for a possible US release of dragon quest Yangus ...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  15. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I have a feeling retro releases will continue to be made for PS2 for a while to come after the PS3 launch. The power is there and the resolution is appropriate, just slap "PS3-compatible" on the front and most customers won't know the difference anyway.

16. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Translating a psx game is not that bad at all. trust me, i've translated 20% of FFT to italian before losing my datas :(... it's just boring and time consuming due to the lack of specific tools

17. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

18. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

great find, really i guess that in thge time of the merge lots of things went lost