Doujin-Dance's Terrible Modwork -Teardown & Restoration

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by voultar, Jun 28, 2017.

1. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I don't know about the removal of that epoxy, but be careful if you,re trying to remove a the glob top form a chip. Those chips can have a small windows to write to them in UV and you'd end up corrupting them with ambient light.

2. voultar

voultar Rapidly Rising Member

It's essentially the same principle for glob-top extractions. Low heat, weak solvents. But be careful. The die is open and it's all wires underneath that madness.

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Yeah be careful no to break the wires. Trust me, you don't wanna redo those wire-bond manually. Even with the actual bonder it's a pain to do.

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

@voultar - the one and only place you should be giving user feedback is in the user feedback forum. As far as I know, he isn't a member. Rules 1 & 2 of this site:
    1. Respect others or be quarantined. Warnings are followed by restriction.
    2. No flaming. If you disagree, do so intelligently. No one likes a complainer, however people will listen to someone with an intelligent discourse.
    You don't like his work - we get it. Yeah, it's not great work. If you're going to keep posting these threads with disparaging titles, though, we're going to have issues.

This forum is for people who need help with repairs - not to advertise your YouTube channel and tout for business. If you want to offer your services, do it in the correct forum, following the rules. If you want to advertise your channel, do it in... well, it isn't obvious but it's the industry news section. That might change at some point - it was called something else until this year, so I appreciate that isn't clear. But yeah... make a thread in there and update the thread when you post a new video, by all means. We don't need a new topic for each time you want to slag someone off. One PC Engine repair certainly doesn't necessitate two posts within a few days of each other.

If you have an issue with an eBay sale, post in the hall of shame, following its rules.

Likewise, the childish name-calling isn't needed here. Save that for your YouTube videos.

5. voultar

voultar Rapidly Rising Member

@retro,

There was never any intention of "soliciting" my warez, here. Did you actually watch the video? It's tutorial in nature. And the context of the video is to demonstrate non-destructive methods for restoring and preserving not-so-cheap hardware that has, for all intents and purposes, been mutilated and is otherwise in an irreversible condition. Rather than creating a lengthy thread detailing that process, I felt it was much easier to visually show the techniques. In addition to that, I didn't share this video with the Assembler community in an effort to self-promote myself. I certainly don't need to do that, here. Not once have I (in the video or in subsequent posts here) solicited and/or propositioned anyone to send me their mutlitated PC-E Duo R's. If I were "touting" for business, I certainly wouldn't have made a nearly hour long feature for the modding community on how anyone (just like yourself) can fix these problems by their own accord. That makes virtually no sense, whatsoever. I don't get paid to do that. As far as I'm aware, no "childish" name-calling ever transpired on this forum to any of its members or in any of my subsequent threads. I mean, I get it. The Douch'N'Dance moniker is kinda meh. My two PC-E repair threads weren't within 2 days of each other. My last thread was from over 6 months ago.. Perhaps I've grossly misinterpreted the title of this sub-forum.

I like this forum. I donated prior to it going bIack for several months and there was zero inflammatory intent in posting this. But if you've truly taken inventory of my video & feel that strongly about it, please delete this thread in addition to the thread that I posted 6 months ago. Again, I have no intention of violating whatever policy's you have in place. Quite frankly, I'd rather not share my content here if it's going to be met with such ill-reception by an Administrator. Much less being erroneously accused of merely trying to "tout" business/services and self promoting myself. It'll be the last time.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

I like the video, it's a good way to go. I was merely pointing out that talking about customers and having received several to repair could sound like a veiled advert.... kinda "hey, here's how to fix this stuff (but meet me round the back and I'll do it)" lol ;)

That said, it's fine to advertise - you have been a member long enough and have enough posts. Perhaps you should advertise your services.

As for where you're doing it, like I said, there's a bit of a mess with what was the YouTube forum... so if you'd rather have a thread in here, that's fine. However, it would need to be a "voultar's YouTube channel of mod unbotching" type thread... rather than a "I've posted another video of that idiot's work" type thread. That is my main point - there is a way to do this politely, and repeatedly starting topics that are critical of another person just makes you look like you have some kind of vendetta against him. I'm sure you don't really, but you get what I'm saying. My intervention came because, when challenged about being critical of another person, you saw nothing wrong in your actions. I'm just saying take a step back and look at it... one user keeps making threads with "this guy does bad mods... here's me tearing down a customer's machine and fixing it for them, because I get them all the time to fix" - what does that sound like to you? It sounds like a competitor trying to say "don't go to him, come to me in the first place... look at the quality of my mods!" Now, I completely get that your intention probably wasn't that... you just want people to avoid throwing money away on shoddy service and having their consoles damaged. That's fine.... it'd also be fine for you to create a mod service thread, with validation photos, in the Marketplace and also have a YouTube channel thread to advertise your YouTube channel, and link the two to each other. We're not against self-promotion (whether for sales or a PSA), so long as it is done fairly.

What I meant about the threads being in two days of each other is that, if you look, your other thread got bumped before you posted this. Rather than reply to that thread, which was already current, you decided to make another thread... now we have two threads with titles that slag off this guy. Had you called this thread "videos of restoring a badly modded console" or something like that, then it is a whole different topic and remains professional. You could even stay professional and polite giving it a glancing mention at the start, like:

"Following my PSA about Doujin-Dance's modifications, I have made a video of myself repairing one of them. This is to be a series of videos about repairing bad mods, so watch this space!"

It doesn't need all the "Legend of the Douche" crap. That's just insulting another person, who isn't even here to defend himself. Yes, by all means focus your videos on him... and put whatever content you want in your videos. It's then up to YouTubers to either like your videos for being informative, or dislike them for probably continuing to insult the same person. Don't bring the snide remarks here, though. You're allowed to say you repaired his work, which was sub-standard... just lay off the childish insults. You make yourself look bad.

Bearking and Sp33dFr34k like this.
  7. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Very nice video Voultar. As I mentioned in one of your other threads about DoujinDance, I actually have two DUO-R systems from him. While I've never opened either, I've also never had any problems with them. One of them doesn't have any region mod, both are RGB modded. I've never been curious enough to open them to see what is going on inside so this video is very interesting. Do you have any idea when this unit was purchased since it seems like this guy has changed his methods over time? Maybe someday I'll take a look into my systems and see what is going on. I bought them both prior to seeing your posts about him. I'd have reconsidered particularly if I'd seen your video here first. Although it seems as though he might have improved judging by your twitter.

Don't be discouraged from being a member here. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that appreciates your posts.

Edit: After seeing your twitter post I went back to check the page of the later console I purchased and he has similar pictures where he has actual PCBs secured by screws instead of bubble wrap, tape, and epoxy.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    takeshi385 and Sp33dFr34k like this.
  8. mastamuzz

mastamuzz Member

I watched Voultar's videos before reading this thread cause of links on retroRGB and found them very entertaining mostly cause I agree that a noob like me can make a frankenmod and be happy with it but if I were to charge for said mod then that is a different story, to me that seems to be the case even if he has done that for a thousand units it's still a horrible job.

@ voultar:
    Can you help me with a power LED for the Duo R or make a video on that?, preferably one for power on that changes color with CD access or stand alone with both LEDs on please? I been looking but I can't find much on Duo R on the web that is "modding Duo R for Dummies" approved.

9. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

I did the mod, the details are on another forum pcenginefx but you need to be registered to view it. Google cannot search that forum for the same reason so it's no surprise useful mods didn't show up when you searched. I will post the info here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    heat shrink was slightly burnt from using lighter. I got hot air station long after I did this mod for other project, I can shrink tubes without burning them.

[​IMG]
    (yes I used little bits of hot glue to hole LED and wires. Nowhere near as much as that infamous sloppy modder, those hot glue can be removed easily with little risk of damaging the board or component unlike the epoxy someone used)

I opted for dead bug style, with only 4 parts it wasn't worth wasting a PCB. The LED's anode and cathode lined up with collector and emitter of the transistor. Anode/collector combined lead is connected to a 1k resistor (which with 5v makes for a nice blue light that won't melt eyes like some cheap electronis LED can), emitter of the transistor and cathode of LED side are connected to ground. The blue wire with 10k resistor inline is to go to R401, the side toward the front of the console, where the cathode of the drive LED is driven from.

The layout is probably the same on RX (since it's only 1 letter printing on console and a 6-button controller instead of 2 button controller as pack in) but it would likely be different on black Duo. For black Duo, you may need to cut a bit of RF shield or use 3 lead bi-color LED and swap the original LED, inserting 2 pins in where the original LED was and leaving 3rd lead out for power ON mod. Also I have no idea if the black Duo uses red filter on the console or transparent to allow other color to show through.

If this seems a little out of your reach, you could ask someone to make one or you could add a LED that is always ON next to existing LED. The LED doesn't need to be perfectly centered in Duo-R and RX, as shown in the video they look fine with the cover on.

10. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Oh and BTW the yellow wire you see is not related to LED mod. I got this Duo-R very cheap because it didn't play Super CD game right, the graphics were always corrupted. Only older CD-ROM^2 games that required System 2.0 worked fine. There was a bad trace or bad via between the 64k RAM chips and the CD controller chip, one address line was not connected and causing corrupted data when data was written to RAM.

11. mastamuzz

mastamuzz Member

Thanks Wilykat that's great info, I hope I can get it done.

I have the kit to recap and get RGB out of the console, also unit is a bit on the yellow side so ill try to bleach it too and the LED mod will be a nice touch to get the system done. I also have a regular duo for recap and it may be interesting to see if it can be done the same way.

thanks again!