Does using one of the gdrom emulating devices improve performance of large neogeo AES games on DC?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by dark, Dec 23, 2018.

1. dark

dark Dauntless Member

There's pretty good emulation of the neogeo and neogeo CD using the emulators for DC created by chui. The bottleneck with running large filesize neogeo AES games such as KOF 2003 or SNK vs Capcom Chaos is of course that the DC doesn't have enough memory to store the entire rom in its ram, or a HDD to use as a pagefile.

I believe Chui's emulator allows for swapping pieces of the roms in and out of ram, such that those large roms could be loaded and even played on the DC, albeit with frequent gamebreaking slowdown as chunks of data are read from the disc and swapped in and out of the DC's small amount of ram.

I'm wondering if the major part of the slowdown here is the speed of the gdrom drive as it searches for and transfers data from a cd in real time - and whether the recent slate of gdrom emulating devices such as GDemu make this end of the data searching and loading process much faster such that these large neogeo games run a little smoother. Has anyone experimented with this?

2. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Peppy Member

toss me some files or filenames and ill check it. i love hurting my gdemu.

3. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I don't have any roms or iso to send, but the neogeo emulator is called AES4ALL, and there are tons of large filesize neogeo roms that could be tried, such as KOF98, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, Samurai Shodown 5, SNK vs Capcom Chaos, Garou MOTW. Places like isozone used to have the emu and roms together in a package, but that might be a little harder to track down these days.

If you know how to make a cdi out of the plain files, the emulator and information about it can be found here https://dcemulation.org/?title=AES4All and here http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/aes4all.html

4. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I could be wrong but I think this guy on youtube is doing exactly what I'm suggesting.

Looks like the choppiness is greatly reduced compared to real-time grabbing data from a cd and game is infinitely more playable, however it looks like its maybe 80% of actual game speed.

LuizNai and fafadou like this.