Does anyone know how these PSX (Playstation 1) Memory cards work?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by hugh, Aug 30, 2017.

1. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Tittle says it all. I don't know how these memory cards work. I mean I figured out how to see and save on them as one memory card. But I am assuming that they are a one of those multilevel memory card. They have a display on them, and when plug in the PSX and turned on, they count down to one, then the PSX sees the saves on "1".

Do I need some type of PSX software to get them to move to their other slots? I have other multilevel cards, but they have buttons on them. These have no buttons or anything on them..

20170830_013609.jpg

=hugh

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The ones that have no buttons are normally controlled using button combinations on the controller - try using start or select in combination with L1/R1, L2/R2 or left/right on the d-pad.

3. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

For the one on the right:

4. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Thanks Trimesh and rso! :). Thanks to you guys I was able to figure out how to work the cards. The Green one works like a charm, I wasn't able to crash the card at all. I was able to fill all 8 "pages?" of the card and it didn't crash once. To move pages on the Green one you need to hold down the Select and tap the R2 to move though the "pages?".

However the gray card that says "Massive Memory Card 1440", I was easy to crash. What do I mean that, when switching between "pages?" it would compress the card and there was too much it would give a "F" and everything on the card would be erased. Not a card that I would want to use. I've heard of these cards being junk, I case that's true. :/

rso, just in case you still have your card, press down Start, L1 and R1 together. Let go of L1 And R2, then you can move thought the pages by hitting the L1 or R1 one a time. I didn't know if you did, so I thought I would tell you my findings on that one..

=hugh

5. whitrzac

whitrzac Robust Member

Official cards are ~$10 each. It's not worth the risk.

rso likes this.
  6. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

I used to have Mega 720 and a few times my saves were corrupted when I switched pages. Returned it every time, still same thing. Game up and swapped for official Sony card.

It's a cheap storage but somewhat unreliable because of data compression and shuffling.

7. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Well I got these two cards with a large lot of memory cards I just bought wanted to test them and didn't know how the worked. I have no intention of using them, just was wondering how they worked.

I got bunch of those 2x cards as well. How do you guys feel about those, are they junk too? (They have button and light on them, they change color between the two pages.

=hugh

8. rama

rama Gutsy Member

Some of these cards work okay, some just corrupt all your data.
    Somewhat annoyingly, the bank switching hotkeys only work on a real PSX, not a PS2.

9. whitrzac

whitrzac Robust Member

How valuable is your time? Genuine one's won't corrupt your nearly complete game that you've spent 20+hrs on...

rso likes this.
  10. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

I had the ~ 300 block version of the Massive displayed above. Back in 97 I had a game of Resident Evil that I had been playing for hours that 10 year old me had finally gotten out of the mansion and into the guest house. Mind you I figured this out myself after a LONG time toiling as we wouldn't have an internet connection until the end of the year. You can imagine my extreme frustration when that POS completely lost all my save data which also included all my Tekken 1 & 2, and Tomb Raider progress. Never bought a 3rd part memory card again. In fact I am STILL using my 1st party card to this day (Used it yesterday) and have not lost a single thing. Still have save games from the 90's on there.

11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

The one on the right is terrible. My friend lost plenty of saves on FF7 until he was able to get an official card.

Surprisingly, the purple mad catz memory card that Ive had since then has been perfect. Had my doubts, but I think we couldnt find a memory card as easily then.

12. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Well I wouldn't recommend important saves, I have heard horror stories like yours MachineCode, but I have to say that doesn't mean that all non Sony Brand Memory cards back then where terrible. MadCatz, Performance, Interact memory cards all worked great for me, no problems whats so ever. On the other hand, these off band cards that china is putting out now, are worthless junk, they erase them selves very easily, I wouldn't recommend them for anything.

Now in this lot I get these two memory cards and a few of Performance 2X memory cards, but most of them where off brand single memory cards. Like Pelican, MadCatz, Performance, and Interact. I also got a few cards that say Mortal Kombat on them from Game Shark, I'm thinking that these had cheats for Mortal Kombat on them.

=hugh