Does anybody else have a Japan only retro collecting streak?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Apr 5, 2019.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

It started when I got the AVS and mostly just famicom carts. I'm not actively seeking out NES carts but Famicom I'm always looking for something interesting. Then I bought a Super Famicom, then I started buying for Saturn again, Then I fixed my original modded Dreamcast and most recently realized I had more Japanese PS2 games than American so I'm in the process of selling off the US wing of my PS2 collection. Next up is getting a Japanese GameCube and that HDMI adapter.

Only exception is the Genesis because I have an Everdrive and found Mega Drive games to bit a bit too high.

So If I'm buying anything retro it's pretty much coming to me from Japan or a us seller that has some import games. For one I have the Hardware, the other Japanese games tend to be cheaper than their US Counterparts. Especially true with Saturn and most Dreamcast games. The other there are just so many more interesting Japan only games like Battle Tycoon, Zombie Vs Ambulence and Wai wai world.

2. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

N64, Saturn, PS2, Wii, yeah I have lol. Had an AES until it became impossible to collect for, will probably get an MVS/supergun at some point and start the Neo Geo collecting again in the future, but currently looking to offload most of my Japanese collection as it's been loved and forgotten, I much rather need the money.

3. GodofHardcore

I'll settle for the Neo Geo collections on PS2, 480i or not.

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I collect Japanese games a lot, but not exclusively for any system. Probably the closest to that is the Saturn; I have a decent number of US games, but I have significantly more Japanese games, and as of recently pretty much all of the new Saturn games I get are Japanese. I've been collecting Japanese Dreamcast games too, but I'm collecting US games at the same time.

5. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Mmm... not sure exactly what you mean by streak, but I collect gamecube games because I grew up with it and it's one of my favorite consoles. I started picking up some Japan imports for gamecube to try and play some of the games I missed out on.

So far, I have
    1. Doshin the Giant
    2. Dream Mix TV fighters
    3/4. Sonic Adventure 2 & the e catalog disc w/ the special chao
    5. Donkey Konga 3 (I played 1 & 2 as a kid, still have the bongos, I couldn't resist)
    6. The GBA player boot disc (it was cheaper than the North American one at the time)

Not the most impressive collection, but there's a few more japanese titles I have my eye on.

6. GodofHardcore

I worded the thread title poorly. It should read "Anybody else only collecting Japanese retro games lately."
    I hope to get a Japanese Gamecube in the near future and selling off the US Collection, Japanese Gamecube games leave a very small footprint and the games aren't super story heavy so I'm good, Plus I have a freeloader disc so I can still use my GBA player and get some of the more English heavy games.

Speaking of, I don't know why I don't just get a Japanese Saturn. The temptation to sell my US System and get a white Japanese Model is very, VERY high. Most of my game are Japanese I have several loose US discs, the triple pack and only 2 complete long box games. I could easily jump to a Japanese system and not feel like I'm missing anything. Plus I can still play them since I have the Action replay, but I can also grab that King of Fighters 95 port that uses a Cart.

7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I mostly collect both US and Japanese games. Lately I tend to go with whatever is cheapest or readily available. I have a few European games too.

8. GodofHardcore

I have 2 European imports Asia import and 1 Korean import.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Oh yeah, I also have 4 Asia games. One I got recently is a Parappa the Rapper for PS4; the Asia version is totally in English. It’s a physical copy, and the US version is digital-only.

10. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I have no interest in japanese games as I don't speak the language, except for some exclusives, but they did have some unique hardware that I collect that exists nowhere else. One quirky machine that I love is the Pocketstation which I own several, that wasn't released outside of Japan.

11. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

You could just add a mod switch, or if you're hands are shaky as all hell like me, just hard wire it for Japanese. Not sure if you're looking for authentic or not. But me, I don't actually own a real Japanese console.

Edit: Oh I just saw that you have the free loader lol

12. GodofHardcore

Yeah, I love the freeloader

In terms of Japanese systems, the spice orange model has the digital AV out? I'm going to get one of those $160 HDMI outs for it.

13. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

You realize the language doesn’t matter in some games, right? Plus, some Japanese games are entirely in English. You can find them cheaper than US or PAL games sometimes, plus the box art is almost always better.

I know some Japanese, so that makes it a little easier for me.

14. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

There are two GC models: DOL-001 which has the Digital AV and the DOL-101 which does not. The Spice Orange units came in both revisions.

If you only need HDMI, go for the Carby as it is $75.

15. GodofHardcore

I'll need more than just the HDMI, the more features the better.

16. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Go for the $150 GCHD Mark II then. It has RGBS, RGsB, YPbPr, HDMI, and a 3.5mm analog L/R audio/mini TOSLINK combo jack.

17. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Yeah I know but it feels weird having most games PAL/NTSC-A and just a few in NTSC-J just to save a few bucks.

I agree on the artwork though, the Japanese ones are usually a lot more beautiful. Plus SNES/N64 ones are flipped to the side as well, like VHS tapes so that's kind of cool.

18. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

I only buy jp DC stuff

Pinta77 likes this.
  19. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Any gamecube model Dol-001 will have the digital av out. The newer dol-101s do not have it. I've never had an orange spice cube, but I googled it real quick and it looks like they have the dol-001 model. An excellent choice by the way ;) nice looking console

Edit: Also, sorry for repeating what was already said, I just clicked my notifications and didn't see the replies.

I'm also considering an hdmi option for gamecube rn. I was wondering though if there's something I could use for gamecube as well as other consoles, but idk if something like that exists.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  20. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

I just picked up Pokemon Box & some sort of Animal Crossing for Gamecube (Japan imports.) I got them crazy cheap. Both came with the case and the cardboard sleeve, one came with a bonus disc and the other came with an e reader for gba :eek: I got each little bundle for about $20 each