Do fresh NES capacitors equal louder game audio?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by spshortman, May 28, 2019.

1. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

he guys, i had an nes that had the wavy lines meaning it needed new capacitors. i bought a new nes since then and it works great. i might be going insane but i feel like my replacement nes isnt as loud as my old one that eventually died. im of course using av cables not rf. has anyone replaced their nes capacitors and noticed the music and sound effects get louder? if your nes works does that mean it works perfectly or is it possible some things could be improved on with new capacitors? thanks!

2. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

I have read at least one instance where recapping an NES improved the sound output. Doesn't come up nearly as often as the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx consoles.

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Bad caps can cause audio issues. So could replacing a cap with the wrong type. Are you sure your replacement cap is the correct values/type? And you could just have a defective cap you used as a replacement.

4. spshortman

spshortman Rising Member

my current nes has all original caps. i had a genesis model 1 that appeared to work perfect but it had slightly quiet audio compared to some other model 1s i had. i was wondering if the same can happen to the nes. i think i wont touch this nes until it actually needs new capacitors!