Do Europeans have better taste in music than Americans?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Jan 15, 2010.

1. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Christer, you know I understand the word, since I understand Swedish. But no we do not have that word, but if I am not mistaken then Pommes de Terre is the French version of it. But anyway sorry for derailing the thread. Sometimes people just get caught up with talking about other stuff. Christer, if I ever get the chance of meeting you, then a drink on me is a start.

2. Robert_Kendo

Robert_Kendo Guest

I think the best music ever comes from the netherlands: HARDOCRE
    yeah,i like this music,i like angerfist..they are the best...when ever i have time and money,i drive to holland go go on partys like masters of hardcore,thunderdome or rotterdam nightmare...

Rais your fucking fist for ANGERFISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSt

3. HardcoreOtaku

HardcoreOtaku Rising Member

Q: Do Europeans have better taste in music than Americans?

A: Noisia and Prodigy :pray:

Epic Win

Game Over..............

:icon_bigg

4. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

I see the USA as this:
    -5% Very very popular (MTV), 25% of which are talented, 80% of which are controlled by the market as opposed to their own desires.
    -40% crap, lack of talent bands and stuff, that won't go very far but may split and turn into more worthwhile projects
    -10% lulzy highschool garage bands and teenage girls
    45% talented people who write listenable and intelligent music, who will never get anywhere because that's how this country and the music scenes work (or because of pride).

Everywhere else seems to be more steady. Like, 80% sweet shit, 15% popular stuff, and then the little unknown piddly crap.

[side convo: Japanese music (as in, projects/bands/etc throughout their population, including everything) seems to be similar to the EU, of a higher quality (maybe moreso?) than the gamut of stuff in the USA.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Then answer to your question GoH, is YES.

Case and point: Gary Numan AND The Human League (they practically invented music).

6. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Your assessment of US music is identical to Japanese music IMO.

Also was Oasis mentioned at through this thread?

7. Sienar

Sienar Robust Member

Oasis and good music go together like oil and water.

8. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

Meh.

9. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

I'm not sure we borrowed them, we were invaded by all the strongest countries throughout the centuries and that is how much of the language developed.

10. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

The word "glad" came from pirates who were Danish. And even today in Danish the word means happy. The story about the pirates I was told by an American woman. But whether the story is true or not, then that is a word I know means happy in both languages.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

yes true but

nine inch nails
    r.e.m

great bands great music

12. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Really........ i love gaz i dont like the human league they have some nice tunes dont get me wrong its just not my thing maybe i need to listen to them more.

old gary numan (great) new gary numan (fantastaic)

sacrifice 1994
    exile 1997
    pure 2001
    jagged 2006
    all great

13. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

As you will know Wolverine, we had Danish kings for a time in England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_monarchs#House_of_Denmark) and also a large number of norsemen settled in the British Isles or left their seed there.

14. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

15. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Agree with Parris. The question is ridiculous, because it's all personal preference. What I may consider a good taste in music, another person may not. And I am not going to say either one of us is right or wrong, it's subjective. Likewise, it is impossible to judge an entire nation's musical taste when it is so varied.

In the UK, we have the BBC radio stations, which kind of cater for different genres, and commercial radio, which mostly caters for the pop chart stuff (as does Radio 1). However, each station will often have a programme slot dedicated to a particular genre. My experience of US radio was that it has STATIONS dedicated to a particular genre often, rather than just shows. Also, when I was there, I heard an awful lot of British music! I think that judging a country by what you hear on the radio for an hour or so is crazy. This statement is akin to saying that Germans only listen to techno music - what a load of crap!

The original statement from the band member sounds very naive and a foolish statement to make, as he risks alienating (potential) fans. The article was poorly written, and resorted to similarly childish retaliation by crizicizing our food. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I have worked in the industry and I hate people who are so narrow-minded about musical genres. People should be more open to different styles - if you don't like a genre, fine. Don't listen to it, and keep quiet. In my mind, the people I consider to have a good musical taste are those who like a wide variety of music. I have a friend who likes rockabilly, 50s/60s/70s rock, 80s pop, country, blues, jazz... and that's great, as we can enjoy music together. I have another friend who likes punk, rock and will also listen to chavvy dance music. I caught him with a Nina Simone CD, and he readily admitted she was great. I respect him for listening to something 'different', and even with the dance music that I don't like so much I think it's good he has a diverse taste. And I can still go as far as Prodigy and the like and enjoy that with him ;-)

Talking of just ignoring things, I feel it's a bit unfair to bash the entire site for the actions of a few. I personally don't tend to follow the Off Topic very often, I feel it's not always that worthwhile an activity... so I just leave it be. In fact, I don't read every thread in gaming, either.

16. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Yeah you're right, I was just feeling particularly pissed off that day lol. I saw the Q and ended up thumping my head off the desk and crying "no more, no freaking more!" :evil:

17. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKwQ_zeRwEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDuL3lNEJYs

18. mr. newbie

mr. newbie Spirited Member

and house asfaik. that's a pretty huge accomplishment if true.

19. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

cultural stereotype here

20. electrochip

electrochip Rapidly Rising Member

american radio has sucked for many years now, mtv is horrendous in the US. I have enjoyed more music from across the pond in recent years than I have anything out of here in the US. OASIS FOREVER!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010