DMG-ICE GameBoy(Black/White model) Dev Kit

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by SONIC3D, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

As I can find no info about DMG-ICE on internet.I made this short video my self to introduce it.
    Hope you will enjoy it:

Youtube Link:<Removed,I may record another one later>

And I know members here are addicted to board scans/pics.So here they are:
    (Sorry I forgot to put the name card when I took these pics but I do have put it in the video above)

Album link:http://imgur.com/a/BlhEJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post them here but not price check board for it's not currently on my clearance list.
    So please just enjoy and I will try bring more interesting stuff as I have to open and repack them these days.

Thanks for watching :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Amorri40 likes this.
  2. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

That's awesome. Maybe you can get an old IBM PC put together for the full setup. Perhaps even a SNES (or Super Famicom since you're in China) and have a cool development system set up.

3. jamespoo

jamespoo Peppy Member

man that is really cool

4. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

What's amusing is that this is built WAY after the GB's introduction, it might not be the original dev kit unless it originally was paired with another ROM emulation board (or without one since launch games didn't use bankswitching).

It seems the FPGA just performs MBC3 emulation, decodes 16Mbit of SRAM, 512Kbit of WRAM and multiplexes it with the cartridge, not too interesting. The CPU board however is quite interesting IMO since it's such a minimalist ICE design.

I can't tell if there's a single hardware breakpoint, or if part of the multiplexed 32-bit SRAM array is used to hold breakpoint flags, which would be pretty unique. For sure at least half is used as a circular buffer for the disassembler.

Anyone have any ideas what the '164 (S->P shift registers) are for? All I could think of is video deserialization but I don't think that's it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. xdaniel

xdaniel Robust Member

Going by Wikipedia, Victor Interactive Software, the previous owner of the devkit, is the result of a merger between Victor Entertainment and Pack-In-Video, which happened October 1st 1996, so a year before Heisei 9. Also, the first thing that came to mind when I read Pack-In-Video was Harvest Moon, the first Game Boy release in the series being Harvest Moon GB, released at the tail end of 1997 (December 19th) in Japan by Victor Interactive Software. It also uses the MBC3 - it's MBC3+TIMER+RAM+BATTERY to be exact - and it's SGB-compatible, which makes me think that (part of) this kit might have been used to develop Harvest Moon GB?

6. beepboop

beepboop <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

That looks really nice, thanks for sharing. Wasn't even aware such a thing existed.

7. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

@xdaniel

You rocks! I just called the one who sold me this kit.Asked him about the kits he sold me.And he's sure that you are right.It is Harvest Moon.He said he also packed the demo cartridge for me and surprised that I have not even opened that box.(Actually I think I lost that box...:(....)

But as he stated that it would be better to take the video off the youtube because their studio is still having business with those companies.I would respect to his suggestion.And by the way,now I can totally make sure that this kit was got on 2008 autumn as his company changed their warehouse provider and sold several old/useless stuff off.He also suggest me search for a grey box for there are game demos and source code backup tapes and MO discs.Although project source is not very exciting to me as my job is game programmer,I'm still shocked now for I may missed source code for several great games that presented almost 20 yrs ago.....( O_O

Pics of the board will be kept here.As there is no company tagged label.For video,if you have already downloaded it.Please keep it private.I will upload alternative kit video later with no label tag which comes from other source company which have been already collapsed.Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  8. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Oh dear! I hope you find the beta and source code! It would be a shame to lose that! Was it all Game Boy, or anything else? Maybe Saturn? :D

I think Harvest Moon was actually their last Game Boy game.

9. Amorri40

Amorri40 Active Member

This is a fantastic bit of kit, thank you for your post! I know this is a really old topic but I would love to find out if you managed to find the source code or if the DMG-ICE came with any documentation or software on floppy/CD?
    The CGB development kit is available online but we don't have anything for the original DMG sdk, even the Intelligent Systems website in the wayback machine doesn't have information before the CGB sdk.
    If anyone else has any resources in regard to the original DMG Gameboy development kit please let me know as it is a shame to have such little information on this kit which was used to create some amazing games.