Discovered some rare Nintendo Carts.....i guess?? Can you guys help me out?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Nighty, Apr 28, 2013.

1. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

How would dev carts be distributed? If a cart came from Konami would it stay at Konami or would it return to Nintendo and end up with another developer? Konami published (?) a game on the N64 called Holy Magic Century aka Quest 64 which could be your HAC cart (really HMC).

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Actually, I think that's for a CGB Emulator/Capture, as seen here:
    http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/IS-CGB-EMU/index.htm

You plug that clear cartridge into the game, and plug the little white cable into the port on the cartridge

The controller for a Wide-boy CGB has a big ribbon cable coming out of it like this:
    http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/GBC_Wideboy.htm

Nighty's appears to be just a Wide-Boy (for the original Gameboy only), and doesn't seem to have a ribbon connector on it... I don't have that version (only a CGB and AGB), but it appears that the GB only version just plays the games on a TV through an N64...

3. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Doing that alone, earns you respect points. Thank you! May your dreams one day return to normal.
    I bet all you see when you close your eyes is Populous, Populous and more Populous! :biggrin-new:

4. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Nah dude his play game boy color as well. The ones that say cgb are the ones with the slot for the game boy. I know this because I own one without a slot. I still need to gather the funds and trackdown an agb model.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

I would expect most of those SNES prototypes to be at or near final (indeed, it says as much on the labels). Some of them probably just have a production PCB in them. A couple of examples of prototypes with similar labels:

Earthbound

Super Mario All-Stars

The Konami prototypes might be more interesting, though I have seen other copies of them floating around (such as Biker Mice from Mars). The Firemen is a fairly common prototype, I know of two other copies (I own one). Crazy the amount of Populous prototypes, must have been a garage sale at Bullfrog or something.

If you have any questions about SNES prototypes, feel free to PM me. I keep archives of pretty much every SNES prototype I see for sale. Check out my website, SNES Central for information on other prototypes.

6. Nighty

Nighty Active Member

Yes! I still hear that Theme Music! :D

@ badinsults

Thank you for your offer, appreciate it!

7. nesworld

nesworld Gutsy Member

Aaaah N64 protos :p~~

8. Jackhead

Jackhead Moderator Staff Member

:dejection: wow very nice !!

9. zstandig

zstandig Active Member

probably carts sent to magazine reviewers and such, the Wideboy64 was used to play GB games on a TV to get better pictures, it's like a really expensive Super Gameboy for the N64, and obviously the 3 Earthbound cartridges are a prize.

10. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Yeah, I figured it might play the cartridges (they are backwards compatible anyway, aren't they?), but you can't connect a 'controller' to it, can you? Looks like it's only meant for play through the N64 with it's controllers... I just meant that the original Wide-Boy didn't have a way of connecting a mock-Gameboy to it...

What does the TV look like with the Wide-boy nighty has? Does it display 'Game Boy Color' on the bottom like the CGB one does, or does it look like an image of the original Game Boy? Or does it have graphics around the game at all? Never seen that one in operation... I figure that might be a unique difference (the CGB says 'Game Boy Color' on the TV, and the AGB says 'Game Boy Advance'.)

11. Atamos

Atamos Member

Congratulations, acquiring so many prototypes in one shot is pretty impressive ! :)

12. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

Shame for the owner, but thankfully these items were not thrown in the trash!

13. BigFred

BigFred Member

I'd like to mention that Stunt Race FX might be of interest as well because all retail carts contain a 1.1 ROM version so if we are very lucky...

In any case I'd like to contribute if anything is found among those games. And I bet there is - the amount of carts is simply insane.

14. Nighty

Nighty Active Member

I just realised not all of the Prototypes do have the Nintendo Security Screws, so i openend Castlevania Vampires Kiss Proto. Looks good to me!
    i expect the Opening Tool to arrive tomorrow then i will open up the others!

image.jpg

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Looks good! Let me know if I can help with anything. I have a Retrode with the N64 plug-in as well.

16. Nighty

Nighty Active Member

Thanks for the offer. I will receive my Retrode with the N64 Adapter in a few days - can the retrode dump the N64 Protos?

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

I am not sure. I unfortunately have not had the opportunity to dump any protos with it. The Retrode received an update to help with detecting N64 ROM size a little while ago, so make sure you're up to date (Your firmware version will be listed in the config and the current version, as of writing, is .18c). You may want to overdump to 64MB though and trim it from there.

18. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Or use EPROM programmer to dump all 4 EPROM chips and let someone figure how to reassemble it in correct order to form a single file.

19. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

If you do not know what you are doing, using an EPROM programmer is NOT the way to dump things. Remember what happened to that Estpolis II prototype that Jackhead had? He messed it up when trying to dump it with an EPROM programmer.

If the Retrode doesn't work, you should send the carts to a hardware expert to dump it, rather than fiddling around with an EPROM programmer.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  20. tildius

tildius Member

I was able to dump a prototype of Hebereke oishii puzzle for the super famicom with the retrode, so in theory, it should work.